New "trial?" MDR menus Ruby 3-31-18 sailing

land lover

I apologize in advance for the quality of some of the pictures!

We did get pictures of 2 dessert menus, and all but the first night's dinner. But unfortunately forgot to get pictures of the lunch menus, when that was offered on sea days.

We enjoyed having different bread & butter offered each evening (types included in the menu), and regular butter was always provided upon request.

Also, a note about Anytime dining, we were a bit apprehensive with so many complaints about it, but we never experienced any problems or waits! We usually arrived between 7-7:45pm each night at either of the Anytime dining rooms, no reservations, and asked for a table for 2. We were always seated right way. Although we did make sure that if we were planning to dine after the 6:15pm show, we sat close to an exit in the theater to get out quickly and beat the rush! Our service most nights was generally excellent and prompt (although one night we never did get the iced tea we asked for...).

https://flic.kr/s/aHskwh7hsc

Edited by Stikman

You can tease about the "sense of humor" but in essence, what was said is true. The hamburger just doesn't seem a proper fit for the MDR, except maybe on the kids menu. I know some think the food is not important on a cruise, but it was definitely part of a nice cruise "experience" for me. A hamburger is fine on the deck for lunch, but I dont think much of that choice for dinner in the dining room. Especially when you consider the choices it is replacing.

My wife tried the burger in MDR. Another passenger we ate with tried it as well. Both agreed that the burger at the Trident Grill was vastly better. The one in MDR was dry and tasteless meat. The burgers at TG were very tasty.

We did get pictures of 2 dessert menus, and all but the first night's dinner. But unfortunately forgot to get pictures of the lunch menus, when that was offered on sea days.

We enjoyed having different bread & butter offered each evening (types included in the menu), and regular butter was always provided upon request.

Also, a note about Anytime dining, we were a bit apprehensive with so many complaints about it, but we never experienced any problems or waits! We usually arrived between 7-7:45pm each night at either of the Anytime dining rooms, no reservations, and asked for a table for 2. We were always seated right way. Although we did make sure that if we were planning to dine after the 6:15pm show, we sat close to an exit in the theater to get out quickly and beat the rush! Our service most nights was generally excellent and prompt (although one night we never did get the iced tea we asked for...).

looking forward to you posting the menus glad you enjoyed the food and experience of Anytime.....you selected the perfect time to dine....when both dining rooms are open....

Just curious did they ask your cabin number when dining?

Edited by land lover

My wife tried the burger in MDR. Another passenger we ate with tried it as well. Both agreed that the burger at the Trident Grill was vastly better. The one in MDR was dry and tasteless meat. The burgers at TG were very tasty.

The hamburgers offered now are different from the one that replaced the steak on the old menu.....

They are Ernesto Uchimira burgers(Salty Dog) and they are anything but dry....3 unique savory burgers offered on different evenings, if I remember correctly...I tried them all just because of there uniqueness and found them all flavorful.

looking forward to you posting the menus glad you enjoyed the food and experience of Anytime.....you selected the perfect time to dine....when both dining rooms are open....

Sorry, I forgot to say - click the link for a photo album of the menus. My phone takes too high of quality images for these boards, so this was easiest. :D

Sorry, I forgot to say - click the link for a photo album of the menus. My phone takes too high of quality images for these boards, so this was easiest. :D

Thanks...I noticed your comment on the top, so I should have looked closer...to find the link at the bottom........it must be passed my bed time...:D:D

Thanks again....L:DRi

Just looked at the menus they did make some positive changes to the layout..wine pairings on the top rather than inbetween entrees....so much easier to read.....looks like most of the entrees we had on our sailing are still on the menu.....I see chick and waffles is still there..

Thanks again...

Edited by land lover

We just got off the Ruby today, and for the most part we loved the menus (not much comparison though - first time on Princess).

We took pictures of most of the menus that I’ll post below and try to answer any questions. We were surprised to see some type of steak on the menu every night, non-up charge ones, in addition to the hamburger. We also took pics of our meals that I can post on request.

Thank you!

Thank you for the info and the menu photos

Love the photos of the menus. They look really good. I notice one is titled "Gala Night" and, a little off topic, but wondered if Princess are changing Formal Night to be more like Celebrity's Evening Chic, or is Gala Night something altogether different?

Love the photos of the menus. They look really good. I notice one is titled "Gala Night" and, a little off topic, but wondered if Princess are changing Formal Night to be more like Celebrity's Evening Chic, or is Gala Night something altogether different?

In the past, they have had a Captain's Gala Dinner menu. It was Lobster and Beef Wellington night.

Just curious did they ask your cabin number when dining?

Yes, we were asked for our cabin number each night.

I noticed one night there was both a wine and a beer pairing that included a Goose Island beer. That is a new beer for Princess. Were there others?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Interesting I did not notice that on the menu......we had the PDP on this sailing and no new beers were showing on any of the bar menus including the Wheel House..but that doesn't mean new ones were not available in the MDR or at the bars I never asked. There were a few new "cordial" options on the MDR'S dessert menu. Did not notice any new wine offerings by the glass on the wine menu. Wish they would bring back the Rekorderling Ciders, I ask every sailing at the Wheelhouse.

Edited by land lover

Do you mind if I share your photo link to another cruise forum I am in? Thanks...

I sort of like what they're doing - hoping it will be on our cruise on the Emerald next week - but I doubt it. Possibly by September.

Who knows if it will go fleet wide, as it certainly was business as usual when we received the new menus.....

it was as if they told the staff to say nothing only unless asked....on our Ruby 31st sailing there were a lot of first time cruisers to Princess, so they knew no different.

I was glad to see that they kept the Italian dishes that are a princess specialty.

What Italian dishes do you enjoy the most...as I have always found that as my least favor MDR night...maybe I have not given the entrees a chance? Suggestions?

I was glad to see that they kept the Italian dishes that are a princess specialty.

What Italian dishes do you enjoy the most...as I have always found that as my least favor MDR night...maybe I have not given the entrees a chance? Suggestions?

I think it’s the nightly pasta course they’re glad to see was kept which several years ago was moved to the entrée listings & is no longer listed separately.

I can still order an appetizer portion of the nightly pasta as a prima piatti (first course) which I’ve always enjoyed. Our first Princess cruise was on Sitmar before they merged with Princess & like ‘happy cruizer’ I’m glad that a nightly pasta continues to be available.

On Italian night we always have eggplant parmesan & enjoy their other courses.

Just got off the Ruby this morning, remembered someone asked for pic's of the new menu...

Food was great, pastas were watered down first few times but still good, bread and butter/spreads SUCKED was the general vast response. They will still give you regular butter but very sparingly...

Word on ship was this is a test run for the new menu, 4-5 corporate chefs on board to iron our issues, again, for the most-part food was great.

One nights menu:

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance