Cancellation help

Rainbowfalls

Thinking of cruising for this year but two people might have to cancel last minute due to school and work .I called Carnival and they suggested getting vacation protection, however it looks like school and work are two of the choices that they do not refund you on. Has anybody had any issues with this or can suggest any ideas on what to do as we want to book but I am worried about losing a lot of money in the process. are there any cancellation fees or will I get my money back if so how much. any assistance is needed.

Btw this is for early saver in December on liberty and a balcony room for 4 people two who might not make it which we wouldn't know till a week or two prior to the cruise itself so after final payment.

Thank you in advance!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Forums mobile app

You can search online for cancel for any reason insurance (not sold thru Carnival). Generally it will refund you 75% of your fare.

If you cancel after final payment, you'd only get back port fees and taxes (if you did not have insurance).

Alternately, wait to see if they run a sale where the 3rd and 4th passenger have a greatly reduced fare, and if the 2 have to cancel, you'd just eat the reduced fares. I'm not sure how frequently they run those sales though, so the insurance may be the better route.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

With four people, two are going to pay full price and two will pay a much reduced price.

The people who may back out... what price do they pay? If they are the two reduced price people it will not affect your fare at all ( although Carnival reserves the right to trade your four person balcony for a two person one.)

If you were thinking of splitting the room fare four ways evenly... that is not how it works. If you were the one paying the reduced price you would have to pay full price if the others back out.

Sounds too risky for me.

Thinking of cruising for this year but two people might have to cancel last minute due to school and work .I called Carnival and they suggested getting vacation protection, however it looks like school and work are two of the choices that they do not refund you on. Has anybody had any issues with this or can suggest any ideas on what to do as we want to book but I am worried about losing a lot of money in the process. are there any cancellation fees or will I get my money back if so how much. any assistance is needed.

Btw this is for early saver in December on liberty and a balcony room for 4 people two who might not make it which we wouldn't know till a week or two prior to the cruise itself so after final payment.

Thank you in advance!!

That is why NEVER book ER.

If there’s a chance you’ll need to cancel do not book early saver. Under any other booking rate you can cancel without any penalties until the final payment date. With early saver if you cancel 6 months out, your deposit is still non-refundable and you’ll be stuck w fees for many changes to your booking.

If you do book it you’ll want insurance that covers for those reasons. You’ll probably want to get it from someone other than carnival. You may need ‘cancel for any reason’ if you can’t find policies that cover for school and work. I think work is common but not sure about school.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They would be the reduced cost guests luckily. Thank you everyone for responding. Unfortunately we wouldn't known till potentially 2 weeks before the cruise if they can go due to school. So I guess the best option would be finding a cancellation policy as suggested

Book 2 separate cabins.

Book a cabin for the 2 u know are cruising. Book the cheapest inside cabin for the 2 who aren't sure.

Or book one cabin for the 2 who are cruising now and wait and book the other cabin when they know for sure they can cruise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

I assume the school-scheduling concern is due to exams, which can be over for some students a week or more before the actual official last day of school, while sometimes you get "lucky" (extra time to study!) and have an exam on that very last school day, but the exam schedule isn't released until a couple weeks beforehand - and it isn't consistent year-to-year, apparently.

We are dealing with school schedules for our daughter in college, trying to figure out when to bring her on a cruise, and she just can't know about exam scheduling until it is too close to book - so we have to book in the "known school's out" timeframe. It doesn't help she does the summer session too. Time off in 2018 is a week for spring break in March, just under a week in May, just under three weeks in August, IIRC.

There are some private insurance policies that cover cancel for work reasons (travel guard comes to mind). Not sure about school reasons. And some that offer cancel for any reason, but its not 100% of your costs. You might want to look into those. By private I mean not Carnival insurance. You can compare them online. there is a good site for that.

They would be the reduced cost guests luckily. Thank you everyone for responding. Unfortunately we wouldn't known till potentially 2 weeks before the cruise if they can go due to school. So I guess the best option would be finding a cancellation policy as suggested

Just doing a hypothetical date for a cruise for Dec 1 on Horizon.

The price for 2 in a cove balcony is $2496.

The price for 4 in a cove balcony is $3093.

If the 2 in the cabin have to cancel you would get their taxes & fees back which would total $248.50.

That would bring your total down to $2834.50.

I don't know what the insurance would cost but you'd only be getting $338.50 back if my calculations are correct.

Bill

Just doing a hypothetical date for a cruise for Dec 1 on Horizon.

The price for 2 in a cove balcony is $2496.

The price for 4 in a cove balcony is $3093.

If the 2 in the cabin have to cancel you would get their taxes & fees back which would total $248.50.

That would bring your total down to $2834.50.

I don't know what the insurance would cost but you'd only be getting $338.50 back if my calculations are correct.

Bill

That's kinda what I figured too. After my 3rd call with carnival someone finally was honest enough that we would most likely get back just 75% of their total tickets as a future cruise credit. Its not that bad for it really being a last minute cancel so I am not complaining. I still will check out other protection plans.

2 weeks before the cruise

The person booking will have to sail with the people

I lost a lot of money on a grand daughter with ES rate because we used my dads credit card for payments so be careful and read the statements

2 weeks before the cruise

The person booking will have to sail with the people

I lost a lot of money on a grand daughter with ES rate because we used my dads credit card for payments so be careful and read the statements

Wouldn't you have lost just as much money even if you booked any other rate besides ES if you would have canceled within 2 weeks of the cruise?

Bill

Wouldn't you have lost just as much money even if you booked any other rate besides ES if you would have canceled within 2 weeks of the cruise?

Bill

I always believed that I would lost 50 and 200 would have went to a future cruise. I always booked that rate but it’s only 20 difference with a past guest rate.

I always believed that I would lost 50 and 200 would have went to a future cruise. I always booked that rate but it’s only 20 difference with a past guest rate.

That's only if you cancel before final payment. Once final payment date comes and you want to cancel the same penalties apply no matter what rate you booked.

So if you booked ES and canceled with 2 weeks to go until your cruise you would get nothing back and there would be no money held for a future cruise.

I always bookpast guest when I do book CCL because I change my mind a lot and they have gotten me twice now.

I had the Magic booked for this coming winter but I saw a 10 day southern Caribbean cruise on NCL which goes to 9 islands in 10 days and I have only ever been to 2 of them, even after 30+ cruises.

Like you said it is only $20 more pp and I got all of my money back when I canceled.

Bill

You can let the internet do the checking for you. Use insuremytrip . com (no spaces). Then you can pick either "Cancel for Work" or Cancel for any Reason. They will show you all the policies that have that feature. Also remember to put all 4 of you on the same policy. That way if your friends cancel, it protects your 1/4th rate, rather than the discounted 3 and 4 person fare. Good Luck!

Just another fine print insurance “gotcha” to be aware of. Was recently checking insurance policies which cover cancel for work and found that it was only if PREVIOUSLY granted vacation time was rescinded. Did not cover if you just could not get vacation time when you requested.

If there's a chance that someone (or more) may back out, do not book early saver, and be sure to make those cancellations prior to the penalty periods.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3401/kw/cancellation

We recently had a standard (not early saver) booking we'd been making payments on, and cancelled (we opted on a land trip instead). Within 3 days of cancellation 100% of all money paid, was credited back to our original form of payment.