Cruise price doubled in 5hrs:..

sheilb4

Was checking rates for 4nt Empress, to Key West & Havana on 10/7/17

So last night @ 11pm an OV GTY - 1 person = $562 (incl taxes)

Today @ 4am same option = $1,112 (incl taxes)

Not seen it double in price in such a short time ?

Is this common, as don’t recall seeing such a huge jump like this before.......?

Prices change in seconds.

There could be a multitude of reasons.

And yes I’ve seen prices jump by thousands, if you look at the right times, literally in seconds.

Wow! Maybe they can drop just as quickly too??

Think I already know that answer! Lol :rolleyes:

I am used to seeing cruise prices jump around. There is no longer a fixed price IMO and the sales are just marketing gimmicks.

I only book if the price is right for me and all other criteria are met.

I am used to seeing cruise prices jump around. There is no longer a fixed price IMO and the sales are just marketing gimmicks.

I only book if the price is right for me and all other criteria are met.

Very true, guess I don’t always check so closely in such a short period of time. I would expect a change after a few weeks maybe, but after a few hours just surprised me.

Oh well, will just keep an eye out. (yn)(yn)

Wow! Maybe they can drop just as quickly too??

Think I already know that answer! Lol :rolleyes:

They def can. I'm booked on a celebrity cruise to Hawaii. I use the fishy site to monitor prices. I'm currently assigned to night shift and one night I got an email that the price had dropped dramatically. Took a screen shot and sent it to my TA. By morning it had gone back up but luckily I was able to get it. Some on cruisecritic said that they sometimes do late night price drops like that for TAs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They def can. I'm booked on a celebrity cruise to Hawaii. I use the fishy site to monitor prices. I'm currently assigned to night shift and one night I got an email that the price had dropped dramatically. Took a screen shot and sent it to my TA. By morning it had gone back up but luckily I was able to get it. Some on cruisecritic said that they sometimes do late night price drops like that for TAs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That’s encouraging to hear. Thank you.

What do you mean the “fishy site”?

Very true, guess I don’t always check so closely in such a short period of time. I would expect a change after a few weeks maybe, but after a few hours just surprised me.

Oh well, will just keep an eye out. (yn)(yn)

Maybe it was a few weeks for the change, you just initially looked as the change was being done. Someone has to look at the prices last before the change happens.

Still a ton of empty cabins still available for that sailing. I would expect to see a price drop after the weekend since this sailing is on October 7th.

I would wait a few more days, worst case book a single in an inside gty cabin and then once at the pier ask for the pier coordinator, I'm sure you would be able to upgrade at the pier to a much better cabin at a really cheap discounted price compared to what it is now.

Good Luck! and enjoy your cruise.

Jimbo:)

Was checking rates for 4nt Empress, to Key West & Havana on 10/7/17

So last night @ 11pm an OV GTY - 1 person = $562 (incl taxes)

Today @ 4am same option = $1,112 (incl taxes)

Not seen it double in price in such a short time ?

Is this common, as don’t recall seeing such a huge jump like this before.......?

Sometimes if you are looking at your booking online, and sneeze, the price goes up several hundred dollars.

Thanks for this message - mine dropped $500 per interior cabin - since I booked non-refundable, I could only get $350 from RCCL per cabin since we weren't a new booking, but $700 back in my pocket - I am SO excited! I'm now paying less for a 2018 Bermuda/Boston than I did for my Labor Day Carnival Pride cruise this year...I mean, Bermuda and a new ship for less! I thought there was no way I'd pay less for this cruise, and now it's $700 less!:)

The OV price you are referring to was a "Y-GTY" which is an Ocean View Guarantee. They only put up a certain number of them, place those people into cabins and they usually come back. Watching the prices for years now, the Guarantee rates always come and go as inventory starts to sell.

I would recommend booking the inside "Z-GTY" and if the OV comes back, just move up and pay the difference.

I booked two days ago for this sailing solo Y-GTY sailing at $479, few hours later it dropped to $449. I completed the 48 hour best price guarantee claim form, since it dropped. They apply 110% to you in OBC, so I got $33 applied to my booking.

Hope this helps!

The OV price you are referring to was a "Y-GTY" which is an Ocean View Guarantee. They only put up a certain number of them, place those people into cabins and they usually come back. Watching the prices for years now, the Guarantee rates always come and go as inventory starts to sell.

I would recommend booking the inside "Z-GTY" and if the OV comes back, just move up and pay the difference.

I booked two days ago for this sailing solo Y-GTY sailing at $479, few hours later it dropped to $449. I completed the 48 hour best price guarantee claim form, since it dropped. They apply 110% to you in OBC, so I got $33 applied to my booking.

Hope this helps!

That’s interesting. I need to check out this best price guarantee form, not aware of it, what a great suggestion...how could I be so unaware of this, jeeesh! Lol

I guess it’s on the site somewhere?

Thanks for the advise!

That’s interesting. I need to check out this best price guarantee form, not aware of it, what a great suggestion...how could I be so unaware of this, jeeesh! Lol

I guess it’s on the site somewhere?

Thanks for the advise!

Here you go! I have used this form many of times over the years. After you book keep a close eye on the price for 48 hours, if it drops simply complete this form. You will have the OBC applied usually in 8-12 hours.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=best_price_guarantee

Here you go! I have used this form many of times over the years. After you book keep a close eye on the price for 48 hours, if it drops simply complete this form. You will have the OBC applied usually in 8-12 hours.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=best_price_guarantee

Oh wow! All these years, all these cruises, and as I usually cruise solo, I pay double as it is, oh boy, can’t believe I was clueless about this!

Thanks so much Michael.