Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:06 AM.
Southern Orange County, CA
2,218 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
What is your opinion? Is pre purchasing the Photo Package a good idea?
This is a special occasion cruise. I probably buy a few pictures either way.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

"In the depths of my heart I carry the scent of the sea,

The scent of an open sky and of water over rocks,
A perfumed sachet, a secret, a secret cherished for its magic power!"
Roger Devigne

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save

Save

Save
240 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Right now it is $199 to pre-purchase the photo package. I think most photos are around $20. So if you think you might like to purchase at least 10 photos it is a good idea. My husband, son and I did a 10 day Christmas cruise last year and purchased the package. I felt that it was well worth it. We got a lot of nice family pictures. We also got to know most of the photographers and it was fun to take pictures almost every night. The package included the photos taken when you get off at each port. We usually don’t even take these, but since it was included we took them in every port. They give you the hard copies and the digital file of each photo. It was nice to put the destination photos in the photo book that I ordered online after the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2017 Regal Princess - Eastern Caribbean
2015 Emerald Princess - Southern Caribbean
2015 Norwegian Epic - Western Caribbean
2014 Royal Princess - Eastern Caribbean
2013 Ruby Princess - Greek Isles
2012 Emerald Princess - Scandinavia and Russia
2011 Ruby Princess - Grand Mediterranean
2010 Norwegian Epic - Eastern Caribbean
2007 Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean
2005 Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean
1999 Disney Magic - Eastern Caribbean
1998 Carnival Fantasy - Eastern Caribbean
1993 Holland America Maasdam - Eastern Caribbean
Eastvale, CA
63 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
We purchased it last year and have done so for our next cruise in May. We were traveling with two other couples and had fun taking pictures of the 6 of us, just the guys, just the girls, all of us getting off the ship in port....as long as either my Husband or I were in the photo, it was included in the package. I would sort through all of the hard copy pictures and kept the ones I wanted and let the other two couples divide up what was left. Then I sent them the 164 digital copies when we got home.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
17 Princess Cruises -- 12 Carnival Cruises -- 7 Royal Caribbean Cruises --
5 Norwegian Cruises -- 1 Premier Cruise

Montana
435 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
We purchased the package last year at the sale price of $99. It was offered in Jan/Feb of 2017 at that low price. We enjoyed the special and brought home lots of pics. This year it was at $199. Instead I purchased the $40 embarkation package. I was not pleased with these but there were no exchanges so I brought them home with one other formal pic. The lighting seemed off in our dining room pics so I didn’t buy those and the port pics were ok. We did do a girls only (no hubbys) pic and that was fun. It’s a shame they print all those pics and a lot get destroyed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ruby - Eastern Caribbean 2011 Norwegian Jewel-W. Car. 2013
Coral - Panama Canal 2015
Ruby - Mex. Riviera 2017
Crown - So. Carribean 2018
NEXT??? I work so I can cruise
URL=https://www.cruisecritic.com/][/url]
San Francisco
4,479 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
The photo package is great, especially when it’s only $99.

The challenge is to get to the various stations on the ship on a photo night. Especially when you have early dinner & want to get to the first show.

Remember you will have lots of photos at the end, especially if it’s a long cruise.

As a professional photographer before they do an excellent job & you wind up some great photos. They’re also put onto a flash stick so you can use them for anything you want.

It’s a great way to have family photos taken that can be a remembrance of your cruise.

Tom😎
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

USS Coral Sea, CVA 43, 1966-1967
2,218 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Thank you for your quick response. While it would be nice if they brought back the $99.00 deal, it sounds like you all agree that at the $199.00 is still of value if we take advantage of most of the photo ops.
We are on a longer cruise, Thank you for sharing your opinions!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Roger Devigne

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save

Save

Save
daytona beach, florida
2,879 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
We took advantage of this recently
Had our own themes too
What i didn't like was they want you to book private black and white sittings for extra
After the last formal night no more photos
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

League City, TX
42,425 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by rjrice1
We took advantage of this recently
Had our own themes too
What i didn't like was they want you to book private black and white sittings for extra
After the last formal night no more photos
But there is no requirement to do that. Just say "no."
daytona beach, florida
2,879 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Yes just say no thank you
You will get the rights to all your pictures too for reprints

Originally posted by caribill
But there is no requirement to do that. Just say "no."
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

166 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
I have a question regarding the photos that come on the flash drive when you buy the package. Do the copies have the port specific borders on them or are they just plain? I'm referring to the pictures that are taken as you disembark in each port. thanks!
Greenville, SC, USA
54,827 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
If you will buy a bunch of pictures anyway then it is a good deal. If, like us, you rarely even get your picture take by the photographers then it is a waste of money
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Paul
We live on a small lake in rural Nebr.
7,904 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
For a special occasion cruise, maybe, especially if it was $99. For us, we have never needed or wanted that many photos.

I do usually buy a couple of photos; usually the embarkation photo and maybe one other of the two of us, since we seldom are photograped together otherwise.

I was very annoyed on our January Emerald Princes cruise that, for instance, to buy the embarkation photo you had to buy two indentical photos, with different borders, for $40.

You could not buy just one; had to take the two. I don't want two identical photos and don't even like the cheesy borders. I ended up not buying any for the first time ever.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SciFi
Eastvale, CA
63 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by CDay
I have a question regarding the photos that come on the flash drive when you buy the package. Do the copies have the port specific borders on them or are they just plain? I'm referring to the pictures that are taken as you disembark in each port. thanks!

Yes, they have all of the borders included. These are great, if you make books online, as I do.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
17 Princess Cruises -- 12 Carnival Cruises -- 7 Royal Caribbean Cruises --
5 Norwegian Cruises -- 1 Premier Cruise

166 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by Jezabel2924
Yes, they have all of the borders included. These are great, if you make books online, as I do.
Thanks so much. That is great news. I like to scrap book online also.
San Francisco
4,479 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by CDay
Everything on the flash drive is an exact copy of the print that you see.

Tom😀
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

San Francisco
4,479 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
They periodically offer the $99 package for a cruise so you just have to look at your cruise personalizer often to see if it’s being offered. I’ve only purchased it when it was $99.

Tom😎
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Kansas USA
1,175 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Just curious -- how far in advance of the cruise have you seen the $99 deal? My cruise is still 200 days away but I check the personalizer every day and so far the price has been $199.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grand Princess 11/04
Grand Princess 11/05
Voyager of the Seas 1/08
Crown Princess 1/13
Golden Princess 5/14
Caribbean Princess 11/15
Caribbean Princess 2/16
Regal Princess 10/18
California
158 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by Paula_MacFan
Just curious -- how far in advance of the cruise have you seen the $99 deal? My cruise is still 200 days away but I check the personalizer every day and so far the price has been $199.
We purchased the $99 package in Feb 2017 for our May cruise last year. The price was too good to pass up so I immediately added it for our May 2018 cruise as well. It was great to take lots of pictures rather than say "no thank you" because you know you are only going to buy a couple of photos.

If you take a lot of pictures, it's still a good deal at $199. If you don't take a lot of pictures, maybe not such a good deal. The flash drive is really nice and it made it easy to make a scrapbook. It would totally buy the $199 package if I were sailing with a group. If it's just the two of us, I think we would be better off just buying a few pictures.

I have not seen the $99 price offered again since Feb 2017.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past cruises:

5/2002 Carnival Ecstasy 3 day 25 year high school reunion Ensenada
6/2008 RCCL Monarch of the Seas 4 day Ensenada
6/2009 Carnival Elation 3 day Ensenada
7/2013 Princess Star 7 day Glacier Bay Alaska
8/2016 Carnival Inspiration 4 day Ensenada
5/2017 Princess Island 6 day Pacific Wine Coastal LA to Vancouver
12/2017 Carnival Imagination 4 day Ensenada
5/2018 Princess Grand 7 day Round Trip San Francisco California Coastal
Mission, BC Canada
396 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Originally posted by flcruiser3
Right now it is $199 to pre-purchase the photo package. I think most photos are around $20. So if you think you might like to purchase at least 10 photos it is a good idea. My husband, son and I did a 10 day Christmas cruise last year and purchased the package. I felt that it was well worth it. We got a lot of nice family pictures. We also got to know most of the photographers and it was fun to take pictures almost every night. The package included the photos taken when you get off at each port. We usually don’t even take these, but since it was included we took them in every port. They give you the hard copies and the digital file of each photo. It was nice to put the destination photos in the photo book that I ordered online after the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
The cost for the 8"x 10" photos are $25.00 each now, not $20.00. This is what we were charged on the Grand last month (Feb 2018). Depending on the length of your cruise and the number of ports you visit, you may want to consider pre-purchasing the photo package.

Paul
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Paul & Leslie

Email us

Completed cruises:

Princess:

Grand Princess - Mexican Riviera (SFO) - Room C642 - Feb 16/18 (10 nights)
Emerald Princess - Alaska Inside Passage - Sitka - Room D602 - May 13/17 (7 nights)
Ruby Princess - Mexican Riviera (LAX) - Room D624 - Jan 28/17 (7 nights)
Crown Princess - Mexican Riviera (LAX) - Room D606 - Nov 14/15 (7 nights)
Grand Princess - Hawaiian Islands return YVR - Room C422 - Oct 2/14 (15 nights)
Sapphire Princess - California Coastal - Room C601 - Oct 5/13 (7 nights)
Star Princess - YVR to SFO - Room C425 - Sept 24/12 (2 nights)
Golden Princess - SEA to YVR - Room C425 - Sept 22/12 (1 night)
Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera (LAX) - Room C422 - Mar 3/12 (7 nights)
Coral Princess - Grand Panama Canal (FLL to YVR) - Room C702 - May 4/11 (17 nights)
Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera (LAX) - Room C400 - Nov 27/10 (7 nights)
Golden Princess - SEA to YVR - Room D408 - Sept 25, 2010 (1 night)
Golden Princess - Pacific Coastal (LAX to YVR) - Room D603 - May 9/10 (5 nights)
Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera (LAX) - Room E701 - Nov 14/09 (7 nights)
Sapphire Princess - Alaska - Voyage of the Glaciers - Southbound - Room D112 - Sept 13/08 (7 nights)
Crown Princess - Southern Caribbean Explorer (Puerto Rico)- Room E602 - Nov 10/07 (7 nights)
2,218 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Thanks everyone for sharing your answers. I would not hesitate to buy the package at $99.00. We sail in just a month and I have not seen the offer drop from the pre purchase of $199.00. Normally I don't even have the embarkation pic.s taken but this is a special cruise. I am taking my DDL on her first trip to Alaska and celebrating her milestone birthday and more. I thought it would be nice to have some special pictures taken with her. Sounds like if we plan on buying more than 4 photos that is would be worth the $199.00 package and make sure we jump in front of the lens as often as we can and really get our moneys worth.
Several years ago I treated the whole family to a cruise together. I did not think ahead to buy the package. We ended up having a lot of pictures taken and of course I could not leave them behind. It was really pricey as I recall but I do treasure the photos of my family all together.
This is another one of those special times. I know we will take most of the pictures on our own cameras, just having the professional shots would be nice.
I would not be interested in the upscale Black and White photos and have no problem declining them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Roger Devigne

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save