Escape to Bermuda port times...worth it?

zackarykeef

Hey, all...

Just wanted to run something by the more experienced Bermuda cruisers. I've been on multiple cruises, but this will be the first one (we are considering) to Bermuda. It's on the Escape from NYC...usually gets in at 8am Wednesday and leave 3pm Friday. However, because of port space, it is now not scheduled to arrive in Bermuda until 6pm! That essentially gives us only one full day (Thursday) in Bermuda. I find it kind of silly to arrive at 6pm, but maybe some of y'all who have been before can convince me otherwise, since I have not been yet. I do love the cruising experience itself, but I'm trying to decide if the $$ is worth it for such a (now) short amount of time in Bermuda. *Also posted on the Bermuda board.

Thanks in advance!

Zack

Hey, all...

Just wanted to run something by the more experienced Bermuda cruisers. I've been on multiple cruises, but this will be the first one (we are considering) to Bermuda. It's on the Escape from NYC...usually gets in at 8am Wednesday and leave 3pm Friday. However, because of port space, it is now not scheduled to arrive in Bermuda until 6pm! That essentially gives us only one full day (Thursday) in Bermuda. I find it kind of silly to arrive at 6pm, but maybe some of y'all who have been before can convince me otherwise, since I have not been yet. I do love the cruising experience itself, but I'm trying to decide if the $$ is worth it for such a (now) short amount of time in Bermuda. *Also posted on the Bermuda board.

Thanks in advance!

Zack

I've been thinking about a Bermuda cruise. Did they change this for one sailing or all their sailings?

Is this for a specific day? The website still shows ALL Bermuda cruises arriving at 8 am on Wednesday. Or did you read this on the internet?

Is this for a specific day? The website still shows ALL Bermuda cruises arriving at 8 am on Wednesday. Or did you read this on the internet?

The Bermuda cruises in October arrives on Wednesday evening at around 6pm. Originally, the Escape was suppose to cruise to the Bahamas in October but then NCL changed it earlier this year to be Bermuda for some random reason..There is not enough berthing space at Bermuda for the ship on Wednesday morning, so the ship has to wait for the other ships to leave

To the OP, if you want to a better ports times for Bermuda, a find a different time to travel like September when the port times is the usually Wednesday 8am arrival and 3pm departure on Friday

I've been thinking about a Bermuda cruise. Did they change this for one sailing or all their sailings?

Only the October Bermuda cruises on the Norwegian Escape this year. All of other Bermuda cruises is still at the regular times

When you see the block of Bermuda cruises on NCL it will show the 8 am arrival, but when you select on the individual cruise it will tell you the actual arrival time.

The Oct 14 Bermuda cruise will arrive at 6pm because AIDAluna is in port from 9am to 5pm. Another ship Disney Magic will dock at King's Wharf and leaves at 4pm.

The Oct 28 Bermuda cruise will arrive at 5pm because Carnival Conquest will be in port until 4pm. On that day (Wed Oct 31) there will be 2 other large ships - Disney Magic docking at King's Wharf and AIDAluna anchoring in Grassy Bay (it will tender :cool:), and also 2 smaller ships: Hamburg in St. George's and Azamara Journey in Hamilton. A very busy day for Bermuda!!

Note: Escape docks at Heritage Wharf.

Suggest you book on the Sept 30 cruise to Bermuda.

Thank you for pointing this out. We are on the Oct. 14th cruise and I didn't notice the different arrival time. Our cruise last week and our upcoming cruise on 7/1 both arrived at 8 AM, so I just assumed it would be the same in October.

The Bermuda cruises in October arrives on Wednesday evening at around 6pm. Originally, the Escape was suppose to cruise to the Bahamas in October but then NCL changed it earlier this year to be Bermuda for some random reason..There is not enough berthing space at Bermuda for the ship on Wednesday morning, so the ship has to wait for the other ships to leave

To the OP, if you want to a better ports times for Bermuda, a find a different time to travel like September when the port times is the usually Wednesday 8am arrival and 3pm departure on Friday

Only the October Bermuda cruises on the Norwegian Escape this year. All of other Bermuda cruises is still at the regular times

Thanks for the explanation. I am on the 14th cruise and could not understand why there was a 6pm arrival time.

If this is your first time to Bermuda, I would choose another date.

OP, you will learn/read more info over at the sailing's Roll Call, which happened to return to NYC on the annual NYC Marathon Sunday morning, caution advised on those planning flights & get around. This was just discussed several days ago.

NCL typically finished its Bermuda season by early/mid October and resume/return to the Bahamas run, transition to one-way/repo to the Caribbean and/or PC. Those that book way back were notified by NCL this February of a change from FL-GSC-Nassau to do Bermuda instead ... probably b/c of port/scheduling down in PC and/or Nassau (or, it could be a partial charter ?? - no info to confirm or deny, just lots of reasons "why")

Meanwhile, other lines & ships already planned out their Bermuda runs and secured their berths to dock/tender - end result, not coming into Dockyard until the other ship set sail (at 4 pm)

Looking at the (un)likely possibility of making a last minute addition, making it a B2B - making the ship itself, our destination. BIL/SIL just booked this & they're barely home after a week onboard doing Bermuda, on the Escape.

2018 is forecasted to be a busy hurricane season with above average # of Atlantic storms - who knows, could turn into a CTN and/or extended run into "chilly" NE/Canada with a fast moving Nor-Easter.

If NCL moved its Friday 3 pm sail time further back to 4 PM, 5 PM is even better ... many will probably venture out in the morning and less worried about joining the Pier Runners Club in waving at the ship instead.

It would be nice to switch weeks, but unfortunately, not all of us have jobs where we can just vacation at any time. My vacations are set a year in advance, and that's the week I was given (I didn't get my first choice this year, as a colleague of mine is getting married :loudcry:.)

We were looking at the cruise that arrives the Sunday before the Marathon, but even still...I live in NYC, so it's not an issue.

I'm also on vacation the week before (we take 2 weeks at a time), but it's a New England cruise that week. I'd hate for a hurricane cane to turn the Oct 14 sailing into a NE cruise as well.

I was mainly looking to see if people thought it was worth it, which it appears they do not. Y'all have definitely given me something to think about!

Thanks everyone!

OP, you will learn/read more info over at the sailing's Roll Call, which happened to return to NYC on the annual NYC Marathon Sunday morning, caution advised on those planning flights & get around. This was just discussed several days ago.

NCL typically finished its Bermuda season by early/mid October and resume/return to the Bahamas run, transition to one-way/repo to the Caribbean and/or PC. Those that book way back were notified by NCL this February of a change from FL-GSC-Nassau to do Bermuda instead ... probably b/c of port/scheduling down in PC and/or Nassau (or, it could be a partial charter ?? - no info to confirm or deny, just lots of reasons "why")

Meanwhile, other lines & ships already planned out their Bermuda runs and secured their berths to dock/tender - end result, not coming into Dockyard until the other ship set sail (at 4 pm)

Looking at the (un)likely possibility of making a last minute addition, making it a B2B - making the ship itself, our destination. BIL/SIL just booked this & they're barely home after a week onboard doing Bermuda, on the Escape.

2018 is forecasted to be a busy hurricane season with above average # of Atlantic storms - who knows, could turn into a CTN and/or extended run into "chilly" NE/Canada with a fast moving Nor-Easter.

If NCL moved its Friday 3 pm sail time further back to 4 PM, 5 PM is even better ... many will probably venture out in the morning and less worried about joining the Pier Runners Club in waving at the ship instead.

My "guess" would be Bermuda is more popular and more profitable so add a few more weeks there.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone found out what the Escape will be doing for the Wednesday that they won’t be docked? Two days is already more than enough time to get from NYC to Bermuda...three days seems almost excessive. Would they just go even slower?

I remember when the Dawn ran aground off Bermuda a couple years ago, and had to go back to port for the night. The Breakaway arrived and tendered in the Sound for Wednesday, and then docked once the Dawn left. I wonder whether they could treat Wednesday as a tender day? Or maybe the port would be too full?

Thanks for the explanation. I am on the 14th cruise and could not understand why there was a 6pm arrival time.

If this is your first time to Bermuda, I would choose another date.

We've been to Bermuda several times and we cancelled and rebooked to another cruise when first announced![emoji6]

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Has anyone found out what the Escape will be doing for the Wednesday that they won’t be docked? Two days is already more than enough time to get from NYC to Bermuda...three days seems almost excessive. Would they just go even slower?

I remember when the Dawn ran aground off Bermuda a couple years ago, and had to go back to port for the night. The Breakaway arrived and tendered in the Sound for Wednesday, and then docked once the Dawn left. I wonder whether they could treat Wednesday as a tender day? Or maybe the port would be too full?

NCL Dawn once tendered from Grassy bay into HAMILTON one Wednesday on a cruise we took. :evilsmile:

I am on the 10/31 sailing and my best guess would be that the ship would be far enough off shore to be sailing around Bermuda until our designated dock opens up. Let's hope the other ship leaves on time!!!!!! It's too bad that we can stop at Nassau or Port Canaval or just leave NY a day later and return a day later.

MARAPRINCE

I am on the 10/31 sailing and my best guess would be that the ship would be far enough off shore to be sailing around Bermuda until our designated dock opens up. Let's hope the other ship leaves on time!!!!!! It's too bad that we can stop at Nassau or Port Canaval or just leave NY a day later and return a day later.

MARAPRINCE

Be prepared for pretty much anything when sailing the Atlantic in October. A couple of years ago we booked NCL Breakaway in October to Bermuda. A hurricane was on the horizon with the possibility of a direct hit to Bermuda. Our itinerary was changed to Port Canaveral/GSC/Bahamas. Not something we were thrilled about but I respected that the Captain made the best decision. Oh ... and because of the storm we actually spent our first night docked in New York. We had a great time and made memories!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by carol54

NCL Dawn once tendered from Grassy bay into HAMILTON one Wednesday on a cruise we took. :evilsmile:

How awesome would that be? I'm actually surprised they aren’t doing something like that with the Escape. My guess is it’s a manpower situation.

IMHO, given the limited transportation systems in Bermuda, having a 3rd. big/mega ship for a given Wednesday could be overwhelming and pushing the transport network's capacity beyond its designed limits, even if NCL can run its ferry services to alleviate some of the loads - depending on where the Escape can drop its anchor & run its own tender operations. Plus, if sea/waves & windy conditions prevail, the ride to go ashore can be rocking & rolling quite a bit and a long one - then, there will be moaning here on the fourm about how unsafe it is ... to put pax's life safety in question ...

We are booked on this Halloween run and still have about a month to decide to stay or back out/cancel or switch to another ship/itinerary ... we know what we are choosing, our first time doing the Escape out of NYC (our BIL/SIL just did Bermuda on the Escape last month & enjoyed i, decided to join us and sail along with us to keep company)

If the ship isn't saiing as full as it might be - that's great, effectively lowering the crew to passenger ratio for better services & attention ... ship itself is the destination; and, we booked it at a fair good price that we are happy with, including the Latitude Insider's Offer, also extra OBC.

One point; the shops in the dockyard close early, 4 or 5; so getting in at 6 allows you to go to a restaurant, etc. but not much else within walking distance.

On the bright side the Escape is a great ship so you'd have add'l time for things on deck like the ropes course, slides etc.

Personally I'd change to a sailing with more time in port; if I couldn't just enjoy.

One point; the shops in the dockyard close early, 4 or 5; so getting in at 6 allows you to go to a restaurant, etc. but not much else within walking distance.

On the bright side the Escape is a great ship so you'd have add'l time for things on deck like the ropes course, slides etc.

Personally I'd change to a sailing with more time in port; if I couldn't just enjoy.

And keep in mind that the last ferry from Hamilton to the dockyard us 9:00 pm . Buses the same. Taxis are expensive.

Did NCL give you any compensation for losing one port day?

I think we got a $50 credit and port fees were more now that we had an additional port. Plus NY taxes were charged on everything ( including drinks on the drink package) while in NYC. We made the most of it and had a great cruise! Never got off the ship since we’ve visited those ports many times already.