makingup a little picnic to take ashore

fizzy1

Don't be so sure. Have seen sniffer dogs "inspect" tote bags being carried off ships. All fruit and veggies were confiscated. There are countries that impose stiff fines for anyone violating their health rules. You may not have experienced it, but it does happen. Why take a chance and violate local laws?

You are actually risking serious legal problems if you bring food from the ship on your visit to most ports. The laws are there for a reason....they don't care about that banana in your bag, they worry about the little fly that's also there.....and the possible introduction of a plant or animal disease. Don't think that one little apple won't hurt.....it really could hurt.

Leave that snack on board.....

No one is going to check your purse or beach bag when you leave the ship.

It is extremely important to adhere to and respect other countries laws, always remembering we are visitors to their country.

Guest relations will answer all questions relating to what you can and cannot take off the ship.

ITS NOT STEALING TO EAT ANY FOOD ON SHIP>> YOU PAID FOR IT.. HOWEVER YOU CANT TAKE ANY FOOD OTHER THAN PREPACKAGED FOOD ASHORE>> Celebrity did have pre made food boxes for some of our tours in Mexico .. They were very good.. They were delivered to our bus by local preparers ashore.. On the private island you can take food to the beach or anywhere on the island for a picnic from the buffet ... CARL

And you're from California? Did you know that your state has regulations against the importation of certain foodstuffs, particularly fruit, to protect its agriculture?

That one little fruit-fly on that one piece of fruit that you smuggle off the ship because "no one is going to check your purse or beach bag" could devastate agriculture in a state or a country.

If you really want to try it, please do so in South America, Australia, or New Zealand. There, those sniffer dogs and agriculture inspections will find your contraband picnic and you will be fined. Certain parts of the world (like these) are very pro-active about it - they have to be, to protect the bio-integrity of their regions.

What may seem like a very small matter (one piece of food from one cruise ship) could have a devastating effect, so please don't take food off the ship.

Try that in New Zealand, Hawaii, California, Australia... and most all us ports....

There are fines

Too, you cant bring food back on the ship in most cases that I have seen

You can bring food back to the ship. We never have, but we have witnessed many folks bringing foods suck as cakes, cheese, coffee etc., onto the ship with no problem.

What a completely irresponsible bit of advice! Telling people to break the law and possibly get caught and pay hefty fines up to $10,000 in some places. Do you find giving advice that can get people into trouble entertaining? Unbelievable! :rolleyes:

Pack (or buy pre-cruise at your embarkation port) some Nutrigrain bars (various flavors), FiberOne bars, small packs of Lance crackers, maybe some Snickers (because you're not you when you're hungry), cornuts, peanuts (bad breath makers), and any other favorite pre-packaged sealed snacks. Grab a bottled water or fill your canteen before leaving the ship. Stop by any local market or grocery store (don't be afraid) and grab a bag of chips or soda. Just don't take food off the ship! :D

Have a great cruise!!!

And you're from California? Did you know that your state has regulations against the importation of certain foodstuffs, particularly fruit, to protect its agriculture?

That one little fruit-fly on that one piece of fruit that you smuggle off the ship because "no one is going to check your purse or beach bag" could devastate agriculture in a state or a country.

If you really want to try it, please do so in South America, Australia, or New Zealand. There, those sniffer dogs and agriculture inspections will find your contraband picnic and you will be fined. Certain parts of the world (like these) are very pro-active about it - they have to be, to protect the bio-integrity of their regions.

What may seem like a very small matter (one piece of food from one cruise ship) could have a devastating effect, so please don't take food off the ship.

I remember "sniffer dogs" in New Zealand. We were told to place our bags/totes on the ground and the dogs did their work. This was done before we entered the port terminal.

How can I put this politely. :p

If you did this in Australia and they did check your bag and found food in there....they would rip you a new are*hole - is the saying we have down here. :eek:

What you bring into any country can be guided by things such as quarantine and diseases that can have the potential to decimate a local agricultural industry or introduce a variable that may affect the plant or animal life.

It is not a decision for you to make....do not encourage others to do it either.

I understand it is not as strict in some countries...but thats not the way it is in other places. Please respect their rules or do not get on the boat....

Sealed stuff commercial stuff is prolly okay but I know down here YOU DO NOT bring in anything with seeds, meats or dairy products without declaration so that also means no smuggling off the ship because you didn't bring enough money to buy something locally...

We have a programme on our tv called Border Security - generally filmed at an airport Customs in this case (but would apply equally to a sea port). One of the 2 things you most often see are drugs (of course) and people bringing in food stuffs that need to be declared (usually non citizens/immigrants trying to bring in some foodstuff from their homeland). And the result of that is usually rubber glove time..... Even wood products such as souvenirs often are sent of by Customs to be fumigated to ensure no nasties are hiding in the wood that could kill our plant life.

I'm diabetic. I checked with the cruise staff and am allow to take a sealed (by factory) item off the ship. Absolutely no fruit, cheese or sandwich stuff off.

If you want to picnic go buy some local stuff once you are there. Most places have a local store where you can buy some stuff.

When you are done leave everything there in their garbage cans including any bags that held the stuff. Wash your hands before going back on the ship. There is a hand sanitizer available use it. This way you do not bring anything back on board with you.

Oh and they do check purses and beach bags mine were checked on different islands. I did have a sealed item in my handbag which a dog found. The seal on one side apparently did not seal completely. They took the bar as it was classified as unsafe. They said sorry but they pointed out a store that carried the same thing. It cost me $3.00. If I had argued or tried to take the bar, it would have cost my $5000.00 plus a possible stay in their country for up to 2 years. This would be for arguing with their authority figures (resisting arrest anyone).

Has anybody seen the show about beening caught for a crime in another country other then their own. Some will send you back to your country as long as you remain in prison others I hope you enjoy their idea of food and health things not pretty.

We have super cute sniffer dogs ( and more boring xray machines) here in Australia whose job it is to find your picnic so we can firstly embarass you in front of your ship mates and secondly hit you with a hefty fine for putting our agricultural industries at risk!

Try the local specialties in port...could be one of the highlights of your cruise!

With the rare exception if Diabetics who might need an intake, Why would you need to keep eating your 6 meals ( at least) a day schedule that the ship offers....habit? Finishing a huge breakfast then planning a picknick to hold you over for a snack before dinner.... seems a bit much to me:rolleyes:

On shore excursions we use the break in eating to be a positive and good thing..even healthy. Heck on long cruises, we skip lunch everyother day. Maybe just a small salad and an ice tea.

With so much food over eating can be a real porblem. 7 and 10 day cruisers seem to be food obssesed, wheresa on our 30day + cruises we are very lite eaters

Dont want to have a waist line that resembles a zip code:eek:

Archived