daily service fee and gratuity

sesameking

Can someone explain what the daily service fee I'm reading about is. Is this something already included in taxes and fees when the trip is paid for? Also, we got the ultimate beverage package and paid $68 each add a service fee. That's the gratuity isn't it? We aren't required to tip on the cruise are we?

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Might I recommend you check out the Frequently Asked Questions on NCL.com. Lots of great info for new folks.

http://www.ncl.com/faq

Service Charge:

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

Tipping:

http://www.ncl.com/faq#tipping

You are correct that the $68 pp is the gratuity/tip on the UBP. You have no obligation to tip any more than that unless you so desire.

Edited by ColinIllinois

Can someone explain what the daily service fee I'm reading about is. Is this something already included in taxes and fees when the trip is paid for? Also, we got the ultimate beverage package and paid $68 each add a service fee. That's the gratuity isn't it? We aren't required to tip on the cruise are we?

The DSC is not included in taxes and fees, it is a $12.95 per day per person for all but suites. It will be added to your on board account every day. You do have the option to pay it in advance rather than on board.

It's gone up to $14.95 per person per day now. It can be adjusted or removed at guest services if you choose. If you wish to tip those who actually serve you in cash that would be appreciated. You have a choice. You can decide when you sail after you see what's what.

Edited by cruzsnooze

It's gone up to $14.95 per person per day now. It can be adjusted or removed at guest services if you choose. If you wish to tip those who actually serve you in cash that would be appreciated. You have a choice. You can decide when you sail after you see what's what.

I thought $14.95 was for suite passengers? The only people who will appreciate the removal of the service charge are the cheap folks who remove it, although staff will surely appreciate cash tips in addition to the service charge. That's what we do.

I thought $14.95 was for suite passengers? The only people who will appreciate the removal of the service charge are the cheap folks who remove it, although staff will surely appreciate cash tips in addition to the service charge. That's what we do.

You are correct. It is $12.95 for non-suites and $14.95 for suites per day.

Correction - the suites and Haven is $14.95 per day, the mini-suites/balconies/oceanviews/interiors/studios are $12.95 per day. Regarding paying in cash, bring alot- you're going to run into alot of staff members that will serve you.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Yes people, Colin has spoken, there no need to continue using CC, he will answer everything with a concise link as to where to find the answer.

love it. And yes, its a chat board Colin so people, believe it not, tend to chat...

LOL....seriously though the answer is right there on how much it is.

I think you keep forgetting that just because someone is smart in finding CC forums doesn't necessarily mean they're smart enough to find the official cruise line website and finding the information there. How else do you explain the DSC, 18% tips with drinks & specialty meals, room service fee pricing throughout the fleet threads that are popping up now and all can be easily found on the official NCL website? Gotta give benefit of doubt, not everyone is good at finding super easy information....

I think you keep forgetting that just because someone is smart in finding CC forums doesn't necessarily mean they're smart enough to find the official cruise line website and finding the information there. How else do you explain the DSC, 18% tips with drinks & specialty meals, room service fee pricing throughout the fleet threads that are popping up now and all can be easily found on the official NCL website? Gotta give benefit of doubt, not everyone is good at finding super easy information....

I tend to put the links to the information not because I'm trying to be a smart arse but because some well intentioned people tend to put misinformation on threads that just gets new folks confused.

It's all good though, we are all here to share a passion and information. :D

I'd prefer less judgmental people. There is no actual amount suggested on the NCL site so tipping in cash is a nicety.

http://www.ncl.com/faq#tipping

What about Gratuities?

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to “go the extra mile,” so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, there is an 18% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 18% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 18% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining.

It's an optional charge for the crews salary. You can have it removed no questions asked.

I like to tip my cabin steward and waiters directly. I couldn't care less where ncl gets the money to pay the rest of the crew. That's their business, and their not on my list of charities.

It's an optional charge for the crews salary. You can have it removed no questions asked.

I like to tip my cabin steward and waiters directly. I couldn't care less where ncl gets the money to pay the rest of the crew. That's their business, and their not on my list of charities.

Winner Winner chicken dinner :D

Its not optional, its discretionary. There's a difference.

If you wish to adjust the "crews salary" at your discretion, you can.