crew wages?

vols159

How much do you make? Why is it any of our business?

Exactly!

I always wonder about these discussions - do you ask about the waitress at your local diner, the busboy, dishwasher, your hotel maid?

Having spent many years in the service industry I tip folks based on the level of service - not what I think a person is paid.

Cruise Confidential a great book about the life of the crew persons. Most crew people make very little & they owe lots of $$ to the agents that help them secure positions on cruise ships. It may be "rude" to ask what someone earns, but it is fascinating & humbling to learn about their culture & what they sacrifice to work on a cruise ship & why. http://www.amazon.com/Cruise-Confidential-Waterline-Parties-Travelers/dp/193236160X

409888357_CruiseConfidential.jpg.4383b6ee435788542fbc7e5c3589099a.jpg

Does anyone know how much the crew makes on average

Wait staff?

Room Stewart?

Cruise staff?

Use Google to find out the avg hospitality service worker in Panama.

That will give you the answer approx that is.

The ship crew are paid fair wage for the ship's registry country. Most of CCL ships are registered in Panama.

, but it is fascinating & humbling to learn about their culture & what they sacrifice to work on a cruise ship & why.

Just curious if you feel the same way about our military that dont have the luxurious accomadations that the crew do on a cruise ship.

I was a teller at a bank in Merritt Island, Florida....near the closest mall/Walmart/commercial area outside Port Canaveral. The ships used to only come to port on two days then, and we staffed extra tellers because they would bring HUGE deposits in. Easily 4 times what I was making as a teller assuming it was a once a week deposit. It was 2002.

Our business because we are constantly TOLD what to tip because they live on tips. I want to know if that is really true or a scam for higher tips.

On our last cruise, cabin boy broke down in tears the last night with a big sob story about sister in terrible accident and he was not allowed to take time off to console his "poor" mother or he would be fired. BUT he could console her with some cash. Coincidence that he expected tips that evening? I think not.

I was reading a post on another board and they claimed a room stewarts base pay was around 33,000 a year plus any CASH tips left behind.. IF that figure was true they would be making more than alot of jobs in the USA.. A starting teacher doesnt bring home close to that around here.. Local Police officers start out under 25k a year Im a Electrician for a company and make around 40k give or take the work load in a year.. And all that before taxes where the ship workers would be tax free..

Im just asking a question no need for people to flame me I think whatever they make is well deserved rather it be 33k base or much more..

Just another reason why people are hesitant to post on these boards . If you don't have an answer for the question or something to contribute, why reply at all? Maybe people are curious and being "attacked" is just rude. It feels like some just wait around to "jump" at people's comments. Sorry but I had to get that off of my chest.

Our business because we are constantly TOLD what to tip because they live on tips. I want to know if that is really true or a scam for higher tips.

On our last cruise, cabin boy broke down in tears the last night with a big sob story about sister in terrible accident and he was not allowed to take time off to console his "poor" mother or he would be fired. BUT he could console her with some cash. Coincidence that he expected tips that evening? I think not.

Ahh I guess that made you feel good to not tip your "cabin boy"

Karma is a beautiful thing

Does anyone know how much the crew makes on average

Wait staff?

Room Stewart?

Cruise staff?

I would be interested to know also, considering that tips seem to be where most of their pay comes from. However, the replies you are getting really are not giving you an answer. I am sorry some people are so rude.

Just curious if you feel the same way about our military that dont have the luxurious accomadations that the crew do on a cruise ship.

I'm pretty sure the crew does not have luxurious accomodations aboard the ship. Many of the stewards and waitstaff accept these working conditions because it is a little better than anything available back home. Many do indeed support other family members back home and they need steady, reliable earnings to maintain at least a minimal standard of living.

It seems like it would be helpful to know this information, in case someone thought they might want to enter this field. I imagine the take-home of most of the staff is nowhere near what most Americans would expect for the amount of hours worked. Average salaries for a variety of positions in the U.S. are readily available. I want to know what the typical level of pay is for my type of position (accounting)...why is it so strange for someone to want to know what ship's crew makes? OP wasn't asking a specific individual, but rather typical averages.

I would be interested to know also, considering that tips seem to be where most of their pay comes from. However, the replies you are getting really are not giving you an answer. I am sorry some people are so rude.

Yes and you will see more :)

I paid my fare and the cruise lines should pay their employees salary people come out of the woodwork

$499 for the week should get you gourmet dinners every night ,broadway shows, steel drums on the lido deck ,it goes on and on and on

Archived