Wonderland on Ovation (or anywhere )

PCWalton1

Hi,

We are going to spend a couple weeks on Ovation in April and one of the dining options is Wonderland. I will probably get few responses from passengers that have gone on Ovation but I bet there are many of you who have gone to Wonderland on other ships and are ready to tell me you experience.

So ok Alice, good, bad or ugly what did you think of Wonderland? Food, service, atmosphere, anything you want to share. Pictures would be great too. :D

Hi,

We are going to spend a couple weeks on Ovation in April and one of the dining options is Wonderland. I will probably get few responses from passengers that have gone on Ovation but I bet there are many of you who have gone to Wonderland on other ships and are ready to tell me you experience.

So ok Alice, good, bad or ugly what did you think of Wonderland? Food, service, atmosphere, anything you want to share. Pictures would be great too. :D

We were on the Anthem of the Seas twice in the last six months and went to Wonderland twice. The food was both interesting and delicious. They give you plenty of food, especially the main course of chicken, beef or fish or all of them. Don't forget the "World" desert which will blow your mind when it is presented.

We loved the atmosphere and the service and will definitely go back again when we have the opportunity.

Fred

We have been to Wonderland on the Harmony!. Excellent dining experience. The only down side is there was a table close by with a two year old who obviously was not as impressed. It kind of took away from the ambience of the dinner. However, we did have dinner early (5:30). Possibly at a later time, this would not be an issue.

Our waitress suggested she choose our menu and we let her. She did tell us if there was anything we really did not like she would bring something different. We are mainly "meat and potatoes" people. Even if it looks like you might not like something, try it. You may be surprised. Even the pickiest of tastes will enjoy it.

Hi,

we did wonderland on ovation last feb. It is an amazing experience don't miss doing it. We are on Ovation now in Nov will we do it again hope so. Regards Irene and Stan

Is Wonderland on Ovation the same menu as on Anthem, even during the China sailings?

I don't know if they are the same, but the video that Scottygirl1 posted a link to (thanks for the link :D) sure has some tasty offerings.

Thanks for all the inputs everyone.

We went to Wonderland on Ovation twice. This was during the repositioning cruises from Barcelona to Singapore in 2016. We loved it both times. Just don't plan to order off the menu. Let your waiter be your guide and they will bring you a sampling of the best dishes on the menu. If you like chocolate, the desert called "The World" is not to be missed!

This is what I said last month about Wonderland and a few other specialty restaurants on Harmony

I went on Harmony (I assume the menu is the same) and it was my least favorite of all the restaurants we visited, including the MDR. We went to Coastal Kitchen, 150 Central Park, Sabor, Izumi Hibachi and Wonderland. I would never go back to Wonderland, but all the others (except maybe Izumi Hibachi) I either went more than once on that cruise or will go back again on a future cruise.

I think if you're not very adventurous with your eating and not very skilled or adventurous in the kitchen you'll be impressed, but the 2/3 adults in my party who are adventurous and pretty good cooks weren't. The service in Wonderland (and Izumi, and somewhere else I think) was just off too. Not necessarily bad, but just....off. In any case we had the Shirmp Kataifi, Deviled Egg, Crab Cake Cone, Short Rib, Chicken, Pork Belly, Deconstructed Caprese, melty sphere dessert, dessert with raspberry sorbet/ice cream (easily the best part of the meal) and some other desert I think.

All of it (with the exception of the dessert with the raspberry ice cream) was just fine.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=53821746#post53821746

We did Wonderland on the Harmony in February and really enjoyed it.

The experience is all about the presentation and the food was good too.

We started with a blank menu and had to paint it with water to make the words appear. Our Grand Daughter loved this.

DSCN1046_zpsmzdntt4j.jpg

There was a series of appetizers that we shared. Each had an interesting presentation.

DSCN1048_zpsxlbnx2ea.jpg

DSCN1049_zpsezprxj0t.jpg

DSCN1050_zpsneleijbg.jpg

DSCN1051_zps6uurk34c.jpg

DSCN1052_zpsdjfdegpc.jpg

To be continued due to the 6 photo limit...

Continuation...

There were 4 main courses that we shared. I remember we had pork, fish, and chicken but I can't remember the 4th.

DSCN1053_zpsexuo4hqm.jpg

DSCN1054_zpsi9wuoiwm.jpg

DSCN1055_zpsfaoogrvz.jpg

DSCN1056_zpsxtya76dp.jpg

We has several deserts one of which was spectacular in the presentation.

DSCN1057_zpslbnubrcf.jpg

DSCN1060_zpsb33ckvfn.jpg

I recommend it highly. The food was good but the presentation was spectacular! There is no rushing this dinner. Don't go there if you are really hungry and in a hurry.

WOW, great responses. Amazing photos too. thank you everyone. I am going to make a reservation for an at sea day so we won't be rushed. :D

For your consideration, the waiters will select appetizers for you, unless you override the default. So, study the menu before your dinner and decide if there is something you reeeealllly want to try and make sure that it is one of the options. The waiters will give you a selection of entrees to pick from.

We enjoyed our Wonderland experience on the Harmony. The restaurant location/ambiance was very nice and it is a unique experience. We liked all of the food items (our waiter did the selecting) but on a return trip we would probably try to explore more of the menu on our own. WE had great service throughout the Wonderland dinner but our waiter was either new to this venue- or just plain nervous. His explanations of everything were very rehearsed and a bit awkward. Desserts are worth the trip alone...

• 1 month later...
Well I found this recent review of Ovation in Asia and the OP posted the menu at Wonderland. Sorry but I think I will pass. There are too many things on there that Marie won't eat and a few that don't excite me as well.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54529556&postcount=36

The Da Dong Wonderland on the Asian cruise looks different to the standard Wonderland menu. This is for the Asian taste. I see you are on an Asian cruise so I'd also give the da dong Wonderland a miss! The standard Wonderland though looks good.

Is Wonderland on Ovation the same menu as on Anthem, even during the China sailings?

It was the same when we sailed from Singapore to Tianjin China.

I really enjoyed Wonderland. We first tried it on the Anthem in September 2016. Unfortunately, the novelty wore off the second time On the Ovation in 2017, as we let them lead the menu again, and we had almost exactly the same meal. So, my opinion, the food is good. The desire to repeat it a third time is pretty close to zero. JMHO and YMMV

JC

It was the same when we sailed from Singapore to Tianjin China.

I really enjoyed Wonderland. We first tried it on the Anthem in September 2016. Unfortunately, the novelty wore off the second time On the Ovation in 2017, as we let them lead the menu again, and we had almost exactly the same meal. So, my opinion, the food is good. The desire to repeat it a third time is pretty close to zero. JMHO and YMMV

JC

We are on the same Singapore to Tianjin cruise in 2018 so maybe we will have the traditional menu and not the Da Dong version. Guess I will wait till we get on board to decide to book.

We are on the same Singapore to Tianjin cruise in 2018 so maybe we will have the traditional menu and not the Da Dong version. Guess I will wait till we get on board to decide to book.

It was definitely the same menu on the Anthem and on the Ovation. It was very good, even things that I would not order off of the menu. As long as your wife doesn't have allergies to specific items I would just tell her that we are going to follow Alice down the rabbit hole and see what happens. It is a fun experience, enough so that I paid for it twice.

JC

I'm taking the Apr round trip Singapore Cruise on Ovation and based on the cruise planner, the meals available in Wonderland for this cruise is the Dadong Wonderland since its charged at $66 instead of the $45 for the usual Wonderland charge.

I believe the Singapore to Tianjin cruise will be the same as well.