strong illegal smell on mariner last week

just returned from the mariner of the seas June 18-25. about mid-week (right after our jamaica port) we started to notice a slight smell in the hallway that was obviously a smoked agricultural product that someone had picked up and brought on board (illegal in US...). i could really care less what people do but the next day the smell was frequent and extremely strong. so stong that we could smell it in our rooms (we had two rooms... and our kids were asking us what that strange smell was. their room was just a couple doors down)... so i proceeded to complain. if the smell wouldn't have come into our rooms i wouldn't have complained...... security was sent down to the room but as far as i can tell nothing really happened. seemed like they proceeded to still do this the rest of the week but were a little more discrete (they had an interior room). anyone else ever have this problem... my only complaint the whole cruise.

just returned from the mariner of the seas June 18-25. about mid-week (right after our jamaica port) we started to notice a slight smell in the hallway that was obviously a smoked agricultural product that someone had picked up and brought on board (illegal in US...).

It's ok to say marijuana. You won't be arrested. :)

:D

Why do I have a feeling this thread is a result of that one thread(or was it 2 or 3?) last week??

I thought the same exact thing. What a coincidence. :rolleyes: This must be blame it on Jamaica month.

I have never bought it, but from what I understand you can get it just about any place. Not just Jamaica.

chillout folks... all i am saying is i had a non-smoking room ... but i had neighbors who liked to smoke pot and i could smell it in our rooms. that is my complaint. could care less what people do as long as it doesn't come into my room.

chillout folks... all i am saying is i had a non-smoking room ... but i had neighbors who liked to smoke pot and i could smell it in our rooms. that is my complaint. could care less what people do as long as it doesn't come into my room.

I do not know where you got the information that you had a non smoking room, but there is NO such thing as a non smoking room/cabin on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship. Anyone can smoke in their cabins, on their balconies and in certain designated areas of the ship..

I'm not sure that ANY rooms are designated as "non-smoking". Just because you don't smoke in your room doesn't mean that it's never been smoked in! I have smelled smoke in the hallways, but I've never been bothered with it in my cabin. Perhaps you should try a room with a balcony--they seem to have better ventilation!

yup... u are right... sorry about the mistake on my part about my "non-smoking room". the only non-smoking part was that we weren't the one's smoking. by the way we had a balcony room... still could smell it very strongly.

My first cruise on the Carnival Holiday in '93, the last port was Ocho Rios. I remember being so glad that it was the *last* stop, rather than the first, as the whole cruise was different after that. :)

I've never really cared for it much (although the Jamaican stuff is much different than we have here in the good ol' U.S of A), but could care less if other people choose to do it. There was not a single place on the ship that you could not smell it after Ocho Rios.

One really fun guy we had met...I'll never forget him...Richard, from Philly....well, we lost him to his room and his weed for the rest of the cruise. I remember being so peeved, as we all sat in the theatre on the last morning while they paged him over and over and over again. Guess he really DID lose himself to the stuff! LOL

Anyway...to me, it's just "one of those things". The smell was far more common (everywhere) once, than it is now. :)

T

The Grateful Dead San Fran.

JerryGarcia. The Height. Deadheads followed the Dead around the country.I guess we are a little more enlightened in Cali;) .

Right, kind of like Buffett fans are "Parrot Heads", fans of the Greatful Dead were known as "Dead Heads".

LOTS of marijuana smoke on Mariner when we were on her as well.. the smell did not bother us in the least.... no big deal... it is surprising though how many are able to get pot on the ship and not be caught, though I know some are caught and it is very risky to try to do so....

Also all rooms are smoking rooms :)

Lighten up already. Pot is accepted if not legal in lots of countrys. Who's to say the smokers weren't from a country of folks who aren't so up tight...:rolleyes:
Fascinating insight. It's an illegal drug, and Royal Caribbean bars it from its ships.

Whether I like it or not, that's the rule.

Why should she lighten up? It is illegal, and the smell is nasty to those who do not use. Just wondering, can you get a slight buzz from just smelling it?

As far as I know, not unless you're in an enclosed space smelling it.

...as for the poster who talked about "lighten up,"

Marijuana and other illicit drugs are illegal on the ships, and frankly, to take a chance buying it in a foreign country (and risk getting arrested and being put in a jail system where your passport means nothing) and trying to sneak it on the ship is really risky and kinda stupid. It has nothing to do with being uptight, that's for sure.

We're such cynics. I thought the same thing about the other thread.

I've smelled it on most of my cruises. Buying any in Jamaica is stupid beyond belief. They have really horrific jails and ou have to pay off a lot of people to get out of them and even then it might not happen. Never buy drugs in a foriegn country, if you are caught no one in our government is going to do yang to get you out.

You cannot get high by smelling the fumes, unless you are in the same room with it and the smoke is prolific.

Several years ago when we were on Western Carib on Majesty, we noticed a weird, acrid smell. We too, thought it was marijuana, but the captain came on the next day and announced that as we passed around Cuba, the smell came from burning sugar cane. This was sometime in May, also, FYI. Just thought I would share that little bit of info as possible insight as to the smell on Mariner on that same itinerary. Now, as far as partaking in secondhand smoke, has anyone been to Mallory Square or Duval Street at night? . . . . . .;)

You said the P word, you said the P word (singing) I'm telling! :D

And your initial post started out so innocent...

Archived