Torn on booking over a year in advance

CruzinKittie

I am taking my mom to Alaska for her 60th birthday August of next year. I was thinking about going ahead and booking a cruise with the Early Saver discount. However, the non refundable deposit sketches me out a bit. I mean, it's a long time away. If something happens to both of us that money is just lost. On the other hand, we already have a cruise to Mexico booked for this November. We are in Red status right now and I am wondering if booking the Alaskan cruise will bump up my points and give us some sort of perks on both trips or if you have to wait until you complete both sailings?

Anywho...advice? I am torn. To book early or not to book early? One thing is this particular sailing takes place on what would have been my mom and dad's 42nd wedding anniversary. Daddy died 4 years ago so this seems kismet. :halo::halo::halo::halo::halo::halo:

Look at Past Guest Rate. It's probably not much more and for the fully refundable deposit, it's worth it. Later on as it gets closer you can always switch to ES if it's available. Not sure how often price drops happen after final payment to Alaska as that's the only benefit to ES. You can still get price drops up until that point with PG. I wouldn't risk the penalty and nonrefundable payment but that's just me. I rarely book ES anymore.

You won't get any more perks just by booking, you need to actually sail.

I am taking my mom to Alaska for her 60th birthday August of next year. I was thinking about going ahead and booking a cruise with the Early Saver discount. However, the non refundable deposit sketches me out a bit. I mean, it's a long time away. If something happens to both of us that money is just lost. On the other hand, we already have a cruise to Mexico booked for this November. We are in Red status right now and I am wondering if booking the Alaskan cruise will bump up my points and give us some sort of perks on both trips or if you have to wait until you complete both sailings?

Anywho...advice? I am torn. To book early or not to book early? One thing is this particular sailing takes place on what would have been my mom and dad's 42nd wedding anniversary. Daddy died 4 years ago so this seems kismet. :halo::halo::halo::halo::halo::halo:

I booked our family cruise 15 months in advance... it's driving me crazy having to wait so long! If you're worried about what the future might hold, you should probably consider getting insurance.

Just one comment about your VIFP status... you need to get to 25 days to reach Gold status so unless you're close it's not going to happen. But here's what happens... say you're at 15 days now... your November cruise is 7 days so you'll be at 22 days. Then the Alaska cruise is another 7... so since you reach 25 during the Alaska cruise, you board with all the rights of a gold cruiser (not that there are many!).

I typically book a year out with ES rates and never had a problem. You can always get travel insurance through insuremytrip.com and get one that includes cancel for any reason.

But being you get a future cruise credit from Carnival with ES, does insurance give you your money back if you're outside of final payment and they don't want FCC? Also CFAR insurance is also only typically $75-80% refund so you still lose money. For $10-$20pp more for Past Guest Rate, I don't understand why people would risk it that far out.

But being you get a future cruise credit from Carnival with ES, does insurance give you your money back if you're outside of final payment and they don't want FCC? Also CFAR insurance is also only typically $75-80% refund so you still lose money. For $10-$20pp more for Past Guest Rate, I don't understand why people would risk it that far out.
Well you also get the $50 credit and half off the deposit. I guess that's a reason most people for for ES

Sent from my LG-H910 using Forums mobile app

Well you also get the $50 credit and half off the deposit. I guess that's a reason most people for for ES

ES doesn't always offer the $50 OBC or half off deposit. Just depends on what "sale" is going on. I look at it as I'm going to have to pay the deposit one way or another and if you get a price adjustment and the new terms don't have that or the OBC, then you're back to no benefit besides price drops after final payment and now you get cancellation penalties and a nonrefundable deposit. It's still not worth it to me.

Couldn't agree with you more on every point

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

That's great advice I think I will do that!!

Keep in mind that if you apply for any price drops and the new rate doesn't have the same deposit amount you will be be responsible to pay the full amount the rate requires immediately or your cruise will be canceled and you'll lose your deposit.

You know, I don't have any clue about price drops or checking for them. I'm assuming they don't let you know when that happens

No, you need to check for them by doing a mock booking. I look several times a day. There is a form you can fill out online but I just call my PVP and he handles it for me.

Are cruises like airline tickets? Do they generally go up in price before sail dates?

It really varies. It seems lately that the best deals are far out and of course for best cabin selection it's best to book early. But if there is a lot of time in between when you're looking to book vs sailing, there's a good chance you can get a price drop. The days of the real good last minute deals are pretty much a thing of the past.

It really varies. It seems lately that the best deals are far out and of course for best cabin selection it's best to book early. But if there is a lot of time in between when you're looking to book vs sailing, there's a good chance you can get a price drop. The days of the real good last minute deals are pretty much a thing of the past.
Awesome thanks[emoji5]

I'll tell you what's worse than your situation is to be Torn Between Two Cruises!

Torn between two cruises, feelin' like a fool

Lovin' both of you is breakin' all the rules

Torn between two cruises, feelin' like a fool

Lovin' you both is breakin' all the rules

Book past guest and you can cancel before final payment and get your deposit back.

I hear you. My wife and I cruise once a year and buy another cruise for the following year. It is worth it price and selection wise. On the other hand, my wife and I are both 80 so age comes into play. To offset that, we book Military which is the same pricing as ES but you have the advantage of being able to cancel up to final payment which is about 2 months before your cruise. We also take out Cruise Insurance and on one cruise, my wife could not attend and that payment was paid for by the Insurance. So being a cruise-a-holic (21 completed cruises), my plans are to continue on the current course while we can.

If you can afford the deposit, book as “past guest”. For my family of four, it’s always $40 more than early Saver. However, the biggest difference is the deposit is usually much more on past guest. I have booked early saver with the $50pp deposit, but that’s the only time I’ll do that.

If you’re looking to book Alaska, I’d do it sooner rather than later. We booked our Alaska May 2019 in January 2018. When we booked there were already less options for out typical cabin location. Those sailings aren’t year round so the demand is higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Alaska is a totally different market then the Caribbean, and you should book far in advance to get a good cabin. As has been suggested, go with the Past Cruiser price to secure your deposit refund if you have to cancel before final payment.

Anywho...advice? I am torn. To book early or not to book early?

One thing we have found is that air fare, hotels etc...all change quite a bit over the course of a year....or even 6 months...:confused:

So.... booking early may save you cruise fare, but all other travel $$ and issues change a lot.

We have decided to forgo the early choice cabin, versus, decent airfare and hotel $$.

So... we book later now as a rule.