Passport question for port days

sopier

Hello to you cruise experts! :)

To get off or on the ship if I am not mistaken you need to show your passport. Would a photocopy of your passport be valid if we don't want to take our passports out of the safe to go on shore?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Sophie

Almost no port requires you to show your passport or have it in your possession. You should have some form of photo ID such as a drivers license with you however as many ports do require you to show ID and your cruise key card to reenter the cruise pier/terminal. A copy of your passport's main page would also do as photo ID.

We always leave our passports locked in our cabin safe unless we are in one of the few ports, such as St. Petersburg, Russia that require you to carry your passport. Others feel differently and always carry their passports ashore. The choice is yours, but passports are rarely required to go ashore.

We never take our passports ashore. As long as you have your driver's license, you'll be fine. If you feel you must, I would recommend taking a copy of your passport (not the real thing).

For me (because I'm a worry wart) I always take my drivers license and a photo copy of my passport. JUST IN CASE...(knocks on wood) something happens and I get left I want to make sure I have everything covered and I'm able to get back home. Like I said, I am a worry wart. Lol. So everyone is different.

A driver's license and copy of passport is a good idea. Government issues ID is required to get back into port at some ports, and I don't think a photocopy is sufficient. So need DL, but have read that if somehow you miss the ship a copy of your passport will expedite you getting permission to fly to the next port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For me (because I'm a worry wart) I always take my drivers license and a photo copy of my passport. JUST IN CASE...(knocks on wood) something happens and I get left I want to make sure I have everything covered and I'm able to get back home. Like I said, I am a worry wart. Lol. So everyone is different.

Could you tell me how you think a photo copy of your passport is going to get you back home?

You can scan your passport and place it in a file in your email.

That way no matter what happens, anywhere in the world, you have access to it no matter where you are left, if the ship sails.

We scan our passports and reduce the size to credit card size, then laminate it. It's easier to carry, doesn't get wet, IF you feel the need to have a copy with you.

It's very handy to have, if you have children who do have a passport but, do not have a drivers license yet.

My routine, I ALWAYS have my passport with me. It is no more "valuable" , then my money or credit cards. It's a big advantage, if Im required to show ID since it's widely accepted and does NOT have any address on it. It amazes me the thinking it is "gold" and has to be locked up. My habits protect it.. Just like your habits know where your money and license are- automatically. Problem is the bad habits that some people have. This is what I have done for years and will continue to . Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, but all it will take for a change is to need it, when you don't have it. And see what a disaster that can be. My crystal ball has been out of order for a long time. :)

Sophie, a government issued photo ID and your cruise card will get you back to the ship in the port you will be visiting next month. You should leave your passports locked up on the ship. No photocopy or scanned in page of your passport will help if you need to fly home, you would need a real passport for that.

Could you tell me how you think a photo copy of your passport is going to get you back home?

Better than not having one at all. Thankfully I've never been left so I haven't had to use it, but if it ever did happen at least I do have a copy. If they would take it or not I have no idea. But it's a security for me so therefore I'll continue to do what I've been doing for 7 years. If that's a problem with you then guess what??...I suggest that you find something different that makes you feel at ease.

Have a great day.

If you got stuck in a port and missed the ship, the passport in your safe will do no good. I would bring it if it were me.

Sent from my SM-G530R4 using Forums mobile app

I've read somewhere here (on my phone, so I can't search) that if you don't return to the ship, they leave the contents of your safe with the shore agent. So, even if you leave your passport on the ship you'll have access to it. PLEASE RESEARCH THIS. I'm no expert and am only reposting what I've read here.

--Michael

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Better than not having one at all. Thankfully I've never been left so I haven't had to use it, but if it ever did happen at least I do have a copy. If they would take it or not I have no idea. But it's a security for me so therefore I'll continue to do what I've been doing for 7 years. If that's a problem with you then guess what??...I suggest that you find something different that makes you feel at ease.

Have a great day.

I do have an idea and no, a copy will not be accepted.

I don't care what you choose to do, I was just wondering why you feel so secure in having a copy when it is the same as not having anything.

Carry on.

I do have an idea and no, a copy will not be accepted.

I don't care what you choose to do, I was just wondering why you feel so secure in having a copy when it is the same as not having anything.

Carry on.

It has been reported that presenting a copy of your lost passport to the US Consulate somewhat eased and quickened the process of obtaining a replacement passport because the consulate then had important details in hand such as the passport number and issuance and expiration dates.

I've read somewhere here (on my phone, so I can't search) that if you don't return to the ship, they leave the contents of your safe with the shore agent. So, even if you leave your passport on the ship you'll have access to it. PLEASE RESEARCH THIS. I'm no expert and am only reposting what I've read here.

--Michael

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

This is correct. If you are left behind, the safe is the only place they'll look for your passport. They will not rummage through your things. This is what I've read here and on other forums at least a thousand times. Lol.

This is correct. If you are left behind, the safe is the only place they'll look for your passport. They will not rummage through your things. This is what I've read here and on other forums at least a thousand times. Lol.

In the past I've confirmed this by asking ship's officers on a few cruise lines, but I can't say whether it is done on all cruise lines and even on all ships of any particular cruise line.

By the way, it's very common for upscale and luxury cruise lines to collect all passengers' passports at embarkation and hold them for the duration of the cruise, returning them only in ports where you need to carry your passport or at the completion of the cruise. Even mass market cruise lines will collect and hold passengers' passports on certain itineraries where they have to be reviewed by local authorities very early in the morning when the ship docks. Once you've traveled on luxury lines or sailed itineraries where the cruise line has to hold your passport you quickly let go of the idea that you need to carry your passport with you while ashore.

It has been reported that presenting a copy of your lost passport to the US Consulate somewhat eased and quickened the process of obtaining a replacement passport because the consulate then had important details in hand such as the passport number and issuance and expiration dates.

This, plus, read another poster who missed the ship and didn't have anything on her. She was able to get a letter to travel without documentation from the police.

I have read these forums on & off for years. This same passport question comes up every so often. My question which forgive me if has been answered, what about taking your old passport as a spare, I believe the passport number is the same???. I KNOW it's no longer valid however would it be more readily excepted (even with the hole punch) by local/consulate authorities then a copy. I have always put my old drivers license in my vehicle just in case I leave home to run a local errand without picking up my wallet. LUCKILY I've never had to test the theory of "officer I left home without my wallet, however this is my old licence, except for the expiration date, all other information is valid." As soon as he runs it he will know I do have a valid drivers licence, unfortunately not in my immediate possession.

Just curious?

I have read these forums on & off for years. This same passport question comes up every so often. My question which forgive me if has been answered, what about taking your old passport as a spare, I believe the passport number is the same???. I KNOW it's no longer valid however would it be more readily excepted (even with the hole punch) by local/consulate authorities then a copy. I have always put my old drivers license in my vehicle just in case I leave home to run a local errand without picking up my wallet. LUCKILY I've never had to test the theory of "officer I left home without my wallet, however this is my old licence, except for the expiration date, all other information is valid." As soon as he runs it he will know I do have a valid drivers licence, unfortunately not in my immediate possession.

Just curious?

No, the passport number changes with each passport you get. I have about 5 of them and the number is different in each one.

my husband and i carry our passports on us in port at all times.

*IF* something happened and we were not able to get back on the ship, it's my ticket home, so to speak.

without a passport you can not fly or travel between countries, so to me, that makes it mandatory to have on my person while I'm outside of Canada.

comes down to weighing the risk of having your passport lost/stolen/damaged because it's with you vs the risk of not being able to travel in an emergency situation.

Hello to you cruise experts! :)

To get off or on the ship if I am not mistaken you need to show your passport. Would a photocopy of your passport be valid if we don't want to take our passports out of the safe to go on shore?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Sophie

We take a photo copy with, but it may have zero value. I figure in a pinch it is better than zip.

But... if you miss the ship, the standard practice (from what I understand) is for someone to go to your room and find your passport and leave it with the port authority. So hopefully, if you ever do get stranded, you will be fine.

Personally, I am not comfortable with the chance of losing our passports.

my husband and i carry our passports on us in port at all times.

*IF* something happened and we were not able to get back on the ship, it's my ticket home, so to speak.

without a passport you can not fly or travel between countries, so to me, that makes it mandatory to have on my person while I'm outside of Canada.

comes down to weighing the risk of having your passport lost/stolen/damaged because it's with you vs the risk of not being able to travel in an emergency situation.

If you ever cruise on an upscale or luxury cruise line, as well as certain itineraries on mass market lines you will have to get used to not taking your passport on your person while ashore because the ship will be holding your passport.