SINGLE HSC/TIPPING THREAD (Previously "Why are gratuities not included in Fares?")

wannagonow123

That's where you are missing a major point: If the HSC was added to the cost, you would be paying much more than the straight gratuity amount. There would need to be an additional charge beyond the HSC to allow for taxation.

It would increase the cost you ultimately pay.

Yes it would, because now I can take some or all of the tips off the bill for bad service!

...fares would go up by more than the current standard for gratuities due to taxes imposed on the business on revenue attributable to a fee when the amount of that fee is dictated rather than subject to consumer discretion.
Don't forget the agency commissions that are based on the gross fares charged the customer. Prepaid tips are normally not commissionable.

Don't forget the agency commissions that are based on the gross fares charged the customer. Prepaid tips are normally not commissionable.

That's probably a larger factor than taxes.

We shouldn't do away with tipping without considering what the crew would prefer. The economic impacts on the crew may be significant.

Afaik there are some, but only some, countries where tip income is taxed at a different rate than regular income. Regardless, this will likely not come down to a switch from discretionary tips to a mandatory, included service charge for its own sake. Rather, the switch from discretionary tips to a mandatory, included service charge will be in response to bad behavior by a critical mass of passengers.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

If "you are going to pay it anyway -" what difference does it make when you pay it?

We are not trying to tell you that you have to follow our laws. Why do so many Australians think we should follow yours?

The difference is whether or not you know that you will be up for more than you expected.

In Australia, the law is that people should know (with any additions such as gratuities or taxes made clear before purchase).

As I understand it (happy to be corrected), cruise companies (not "Australians") that operate from Australia ARE subject to Australian law and cruise lines have recognised this and the advantage of understanding the different approaches in different countries to maximise their business and profits.

The difference is whether or not you know that you will be up for more than you expected.

In Australia, the law is that people should know (with any additions such as gratuities or taxes made clear before purchase).

So, your complaint isn't so much that the HSC exists but that it could come as a surprise?

Would your complaint be satisfied if the cruise lines included a prominent statement something like: Fare XXX. HSC XXX, and Port Fees XXX are additional. Cruise Total XXX.?

So, your complaint isn't so much that the HSC exists but that it could come as a surprise?

Would your complaint be satisfied if the cruise lines included a prominent statement something like: Fare XXX. HSC XXX, and Port Fees XXX are additional. Cruise Total XXX.?

Yes. With different cultures such as Australia (and Asia, Britain, Europe etc) tipping is not expected and is in some cases insulting. However with clear warning (or included grats/taxes/port fees) BEFORE purchasing a cruise there would be less of a problem. Quite a few cruise lines already provide Aussies with a complete price (including for cruises not from Australia).

I have no problem with paying grats (we prepay plus usually add extra cash for good service but we are experienced travellers) however I know it causes a lot of stress to Aussies who want to do the right thing.

Yes. With different cultures such as Australia (and Asia, Britain, Europe etc) tipping is not expected and is in some cases insulting. However with clear warning (or included grats/taxes/port fees) BEFORE purchasing a cruise there would be less of a problem. Quite a few cruise lines already provide Aussies with a complete price (including for cruises not from Australia).

I have no problem with paying grats (we prepay plus usually add extra cash for good service but we are experienced travellers) however I know it causes a lot of stress to Aussies who want to do the right thing.

I always thought Aussies were particularly good in dealing with stress.

Have I seen too many 'Aussie Movies'?

Thank you RuthC. I had stupidly never worked out that by tipping and paying gratuities I was avoiding paying tax. We don't tip nor have resort fees in Australia so it is not something that comes up for discussion at home.

Don't get me started on "Resort Fees". What a scam!

There are American cruise lines and there are cruise lines based in other countries. One would reasonably no more expect an American cruise line to defer to Australian sensibilities (for example) than an American hotel or American restaurant would. This is one of those situations where the United States offers specific options so some people from other countries choose to go visit the United States to partake of those options. People cruising on an American cruise line should treat it just like choosing to visit an American city, reading up on American customs enough to know what they don't know, in the same way we Americans should read up on the customs of countries we visit. If an American flies to Egypt to visit the pyramids without knowing what Baksheesh is (for example), then they are doing it wrong.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

There are American cruise lines and there are cruise lines based in other countries. One would reasonably no more expect an American cruise line to defer to Australian sensibilities (for example) than an American hotel or American restaurant would. This is one of those situations where the United States offers specific options so some people from other countries choose to go visit the United States to partake of those options. People cruising on an American cruise line should treat it just like choosing to visit an American city, reading up on American customs enough to know what they don't know, in the same way we Americans should read up on the customs of countries we visit. If an American flies to Egypt to visit the pyramids without knowing what Baksheesh is (for example), then they are doing it wrong.

Having visited more than 40 countries, including the USA many times, I agree that it is important to read up on the country visited. For example, I always check the prevailing expected tip for cab drivers in the US city I am visiting so I am prepared to pay the expected tip for the cab from the airport. The HAL cruise I have booked actually goes nowhere near USA - it originates and returns to Tokyo. How kind of the United States to offer specific options for those of us not from the USA to spend our money with them :D

HAL is owned by Carnival and some other Carnival owned cruise companies automatically include grats in their fares advertised in Australia (as do Royal Caribbean - even for cruises that go nowhere near Australia). Some of the Carnival and Princess ships even use AUD on board (I hope this doesn't catch out any USA visitors!) It is clearly a business decision whether or not to include gratuities or at least make them clear to Aussies (and other similar cultures) in order to maximise their profits. I suspect that cruise lines that have many more Aussie customers than HAL have realised that it is in their best interests to do so.

The HAL cruise I have booked actually goes nowhere near USA
Yet it is still a cruise offered by an American cruise line, in accordance with American standards and sensibilities.

How kind of the United States to offer specific options for those of us not from the USA to spend our money with them :D
It isn't kindness. It's rabid profit-seeking.

HAL is owned by Carnival and some other Carnival owned cruise companies automatically include grats in their fares advertised in Australia
Divisions of Carnival based outside the United States.

To be clear... American cruise lines:

• Carnival Cruise Line
  • fathom
  • Holland America Line
  • Princess Cruises
  • Seabourn Cruise Line

Non-American cruise lines:

• P&O Cruises
  • Cunard Line
  • Carnival Australia
  • P&O Cruises Australia
  • Costa Cruies
  • AIDA Cruises

• 1 month later...

As a HAL newbie, I have another tipping question regarding the Neptune Lounge. When cruising on RCI when we have access to the Diamond or Concierge lounge, we usually give a tip in an envelope on the last night to each of the bar staff that have looked after us (and the Concierge). What is the norm on HAL in the Neptune Lounge - tipping at the end or tipping per drink?

Thank you.

I don't understand how people spend $$$$ on cruises, but at the same time remove tips.

I didn't mean to get personal, but there are multiple pages on different threads on this topic. And I did provide an answer...it's optional on HAL cruises. It's obviously not a surprise to CC posters, so how hard is it to build the service fee into your budget and pay it on day one if you don't want it in your final bill?

Oh - I thought they would still have bar staff (for paid drinks). Thanks for the information KAKcruiser.

It's set up as an honour bar and "serve yourself".

As to the concierges, yes, many of us do tip them.