Questions about grandeur cruise

I've booked the kids and i on a 9 night cruise on grandeur out of Baltimore for spring break. I just have a few questions.

First how many formal nights are there? I'm guessing 2, but wasn't sure with the 9 nights.

How is laundry handled? This is my first royal cruise. I've sailed carnival before and had self serve laundry. But I read royal doesn't have self serve laundry. Do they do the bag of laundry? How much and how big are the bags? With a 9 night cruise and one night in Baltimore pre cruise packing so we won't need to laundry will be tough. Especially with my 2 boys (one 16, and one 7). They won't be wearing anything more the once if you know what I mean lol.

What drinks are included with the soda package? I will get it for my teens but my little guy doesn't drink soda. It's not that he's not allowed. He hates anything with bubbles. I'm concerned about what he may have available to drink. At home, besides water, he drinks milk and different juices, and occasional power aid/Gatorade or flavoured water. I know he could get milk and juices during meals but I'm wondering about the rest of the day. Would they allow me to bring some of those flavouring drops maybe?

Last question. Our ship is due back at 7am. I've booked a flight home at 1:45pm. Is that late enough to give us plenty of time? I'm on southwest so I could change to a later flight if needed but I don't really want to sit at the airport for hours.

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They will offer a "wash & fold" bag at least during your cruise. Cost is $35 for all you can stuff in the bag. Limited to items like socks, underwear, t-shirts, shorts, pajamas. Info on bag:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49766566&postcount=11

Formal nights:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

1: yes. if you can call them formal nights at all

2: about half way through there will be a wash and fold special for I wanna say $35. good for tee shirts and undies but not much else. standard size found at any hotel

3: the soda package is exactly that; SODA. included drinks in the fare: tap water, iced tea, lemonade, at least one flavored water, hot chocolate, hot tea, plan coffee. Milk( white,choccie, 2%) . juice from concentrate at breakfast( fresh squeezed is extra) the Windjammer dispensers will be available close to 24/7. cartons of milk in buffet and park cafe, glass in MDR. the MIO drops are not a problem at all.

4; MORE than enough time. you an easily expect to be through Customs/Immigration by 10, 1030. the airport is only about 20 minutes away.

We just got off our first Royal cruise and liked it so much we also booked, while on the ship, the nine day out of Baltimore for us and the kids. Had same question about laundry. Also curious about formal nights?? And we discovered the TV does not play CBS or ABC and the ESPN was a Caribbean zone so no real football. Desk guy assured us they do get those stations and the big playoffs in January....can anyone tell me this is true?

Thanks guys! You have been a lot of help.

I know the formal nights aren't really formal but we like to dress up a bit. It gives my daughter and I a chance to wear out nicer dresses and the boys just wear cotton/khaki type pants and button down shirts (maybe a tie). The smart causal I'm guessing polos and nice dark jeans for the boys (or khakis if they want). The casual nights I will let them wear nicer shorts.

I was thinking of needing pjs and maybe some t shirts washed, so that will work.

I'm glad to hear he can get things other then lemonade and ice tea throughout the day. I'm going to order some water and pack a refillable water bottle for him, so the mio drops will work! You know it would be so much easier if he would just drink soda sometimes lol. Until you have a child who refuses to drink it you don't realize how much easier it is at times.

We just got off our first Royal cruise and liked it so much we also booked, while on the ship, the nine day out of Baltimore for us and the kids. Had same question about laundry. Also curious about formal nights?? And we discovered the TV does not play CBS or ABC and the ESPN was a Caribbean zone so no real football. Desk guy assured us they do get those stations and the big playoffs in January....can anyone tell me this is true?

They do show football games, but you won't have as many choices as when you are home.

3: the soda package is exactly that; SODA. included drinks in the fare: tap water, iced tea, lemonade, at least one flavored water, hot chocolate, hot tea, plan coffee. Milk( white,choccie, 2%) . juice from concentrate at breakfast( fresh squeezed is extra) the Windjammer dispensers will be available close to 24/7. cartons of milk in buffet and park cafe, glass in MDR. the MIO drops are not a problem at all.

Actually, the soda package includes the freestyle coke machines, which include several noncarbonated items including Powerade (regular and sugar free), Dasani flavored waters (they also have flavored seltzer, so pay attention to which button you push), several favored lemonades (again regular and sugar free), and HiC drinks (the latter I've not tried so I cant speak to them). So if the OP thinks her son would benefit from more variety than the included options offer, the freestyle machines could be helpful. On Granduer, there's two by the cafe and there are some in the Windjammer. Plus the younger child won't be jealous of the older child's special soda package cup! ;)

Thanks guys! You have been a lot of help.

I know the formal nights aren't really formal but we like to dress up a bit. It gives my daughter and I a chance to wear out nicer dresses and the boys just wear cotton/khaki type pants and button down shirts (maybe a tie). The smart causal I'm guessing polos and nice dark jeans for the boys (or khakis if they want). The casual nights I will let them wear nicer shorts.

I was thinking of needing pjs and maybe some t shirts washed, so that will work.

I'm glad to hear he can get things other then lemonade and ice tea throughout the day. I'm going to order some water and pack a refillable water bottle for him, so the mio drops will work! You know it would be so much easier if he would just drink soda sometimes lol. Until you have a child who refuses to drink it you don't realize how much easier it is at times.

Grandeur of the Seas has the Coke Freestyle machines, so buying the soda package gives the user access to many many many combinations of soda flavors, but also juice, water, flavored water, and gatorade or powerade or whichever -ade the machine has. $8.50 per person per day plus 18% gratuity.

Grandeur of the Seas has the Coke Freestyle machines, so buying the soda package gives the user access to many many many combinations of soda flavors, but also juice, water, flavored water, and gatorade or powerade or whichever -ade the machine has. $8.50 per person per day plus 18% gratuity.

Yes- the only disadvantage to this is that there is only one machine for the entire ship (located at Café Promenade) to use when the buffet is closed. They do keep on top of refilling the machines, though.

Yes- the only disadvantage to this is that there is only one machine for the entire ship (located at Café Promenade) to use when the buffet is closed. They do keep on top of refilling the machines, though.

There is no Cafe Promenade on the Grandeur, as there is no Promenade. The machine is on Deck 6 next to Lattetudes. I have never seen a line there.

Grandeur_Centrum_2.jpg

Good to know about the non carbonated options with the soda package in the freestyle machines. He will love the power aid and different lemonaids. HIc drinks aren't carbonated are they? This is seriously the only thing he's picky about. When we try giving him soda he makes a crazy face lol.

And how does the soda package work in the MDR? I'm guessing they just bring them whatever soda they want?

Good to know about the non carbonated options with the soda package in the freestyle machines. He will love the power aid and different lemonaids. HIc drinks aren't carbonated are they? This is seriously the only thing he's picky about. When we try giving him soda he makes a crazy face lol.

And how does the soda package work in the MDR? I'm guessing they just bring them whatever soda they want?

In the MDR, the choices are usually Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Soda Water, and Tonic Water. If you want something else, it would be best to fill the cup at th Freestyle machine and bring it to dinner.

Correct, there is no "freestyle" machine anywhere on the ship except for four in the buffet and one at Café Promenade. The other thing about using these machines it that you must use the souvenir cups they give you to fill them.

Drink service in the dining room (for soda, at least) also takes quite a bit of time.

Want to also ask....is it normal for dinner to take two full hours? Or was it just because our tablemates arrived 15-20 minutes late each night? Went with MY TIME for Grandeur cruise so we can have a table for just us and on our own time. But will it still take two hours? Not a fan of that. Hour fifteen minutes is just enough to maybe hour and a half.

Want to also ask....is it normal for dinner to take two full hours? Or was it just because our tablemates arrived 15-20 minutes late each night? Went with MY TIME for Grandeur cruise so we can have a table for just us and on our own time. But will it still take two hours? Not a fan of that. Hour fifteen minutes is just enough to maybe hour and a half.

It depends, not just on your table mates, but eating habits. If you were strictly, appetizer, main entree, dessert, that's just 3 courses, and you can be done in an hour or less, but if you're like me, who ends up with 4 or 5 appetizers, possibly 2 entrees and a dessert, it takes longer. And yes, being late 15-20 minutes each night is a bummer for all, though, you could always ask to put your order in, but the problem is, they usually will space it out where you all finish at the same time regardless. That was our table mates as well, but then again, my table mates was my sister in law and her family, who are notoriously never on time.

HIc drinks aren't carbonated are they? This is seriously the only thing he's picky about.

May be someone else can speak to the HiC specifically (that particular one was an assumption on my part), but when you start the drink process on the machine, one of the filters is non-carbonated, so you could just start there, then everything that follows will be without bubbles.

I can't do sugar or bubbles in my drinks and I really enjoyed the freestyle machines. I had it as part of the refreshments package and it was a nice compliment to the coffees and bottled water. I was surprised how much I liked it. Of course, I'm not a kid so YMMV. But the machines do seem pretty popular with the kids.

May be someone else can speak to the HiC specifically (that particular one was an assumption on my part), but when you start the drink process on the machine, one of the filters is non-carbonated, so you could just start there, then everything that follows will be without bubbles.

I can't do sugar or bubbles in my drinks and I really enjoyed the freestyle machines. I had it as part of the refreshments package and it was a nice compliment to the coffees and bottled water. I was surprised how much I liked it. Of course, I'm not a kid so YMMV. But the machines do seem pretty popular with the kids.

HiC is a juice drink. Sort of like Kool Aid. No carbonation.

No, not 2 hours, but figure on over a hour if you do more than one course.

It depends, not just on your table mates, but eating habits. If you were strictly, appetizer, main entree, dessert, that's just 3 courses, and you can be done in an hour or less, but if you're like me, who ends up with 4 or 5 appetizers, possibly 2 entrees and a dessert, it takes longer. And yes, being late 15-20 minutes each night is a bummer for all, though, you could always ask to put your order in, but the problem is, they usually will space it out where you all finish at the same time regardless. That was our table mates as well, but then again, my table mates was my sister in law and her family, who are notoriously never on time.

4 or 5 appetizers, 2 entrees and dessert? I need to be your table mate :D

Lisa N.

Last week, on lobster night, our waiter brought everyone who ordered lobster, two lobsters. And while they were eating, a third one.

I had prime rib and lobster, and also got two lobsters.

It is OK, they were not that big. :D

Eating in the MDR, at least for us, takes time, but that's the way we prefer it. We order multiple apps, eat at a leisurely pace, talk to our tablemates. etc... That is one of the reasons we enjoy cruising. We have a slower pace than when not on vacation. We do show up on time though. For us, it is more about relaxing, than what to do next. We have always enjoyed Grandeur. The crew makes for an enjoyable vacation. Been on the larger ships, but sometimes on Oasis class ships, there was so much to do, we felt that everything was too scheduled. Definitely would go back to Oasis, but sometimes you need to sit back and relax.

Regards,

mike