Alcohol - bringing on ship

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:51 PM.
RESIST USA
9,482 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by Solent Richard
I've even witnessed a small group bringing on a number of wine boxes.

Perhaps someone can confirm this goes on regularly.

I haven't seen anyone embarking QM2 with wine boxes in Red Hook - but then again, I wasn't checking other passenger's carry on :-)
Hampshire, England
1,549 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by Salacia
I haven't seen anyone embarking QM2 with wine boxes in Red Hook - but then again, I wasn't checking other passenger's carry on :-)
I don't either. I leave that to security.

What I was referring to appeared as a photograph on a UK forum.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dancing above the Waves.

Diving below them.

BH13 - England
2,527 Posts
Joined Jan 2009

On embarkation, have never seen wine boxes, probably inside a carry on. However, think this type of "excess" could bring about the end of the unofficial concession.

Saying that, at Martinique I brought on the ship a personally commissioned small wooden barrel of Rhum, not for drinking on the ship, but to take home. So no problem if confiscated, which is was not. But caused much amusement on boarding.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
There are those who have, and those who have Yachts.
51 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Eight years ago on a Round Britain Voyage, a group of guests were bringing on huge amounts of alcohol at each port, including those "slabs" of beer cans you get. They brought it on quite openly and nothing was said by the crew. So I don't think we have to worry about bringing to much on.
120 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
I have brought on wine departing Southampton and NYC. No one seems to have a problem. If I want it served in the dining room, I either bring it up to the maître'd myself, or I have asked the butler to see that it is taken to the sommelier for service that evening.

We spread it out amongst the two of us. I do wrap the bottles in a plastic bag in order to avoid potential breakage issues. I put some in the checked baggage, some as carry on. I bring a six pack of Cokes, too. Those I carry myself because if they let go in my bags, it would be a major mess.
229 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by harryf
We sailed on QV from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale in Jan 2017. We took a bottle of whisky and a bottle of Baileys as well as 2 bottles of wine and assorted non alcoholic drinks. No problem! ..
Did you take these in your carry on or your checked luggage?
Pennsylvania
5,736 Posts
Joined Jul 2010

I'm not sure whether you're referring to a boxed case (i.e., 12 bottles) or someone carrying one of those 3 liter wine boxes. Either way, so what?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
Hampshire, England
1,549 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by Underwatr
I'm not sure whether you're referring to a boxed case (i.e., 12 bottles) or someone carrying one of those 3 liter wine boxes. Either way, so what?

The latter, a wine box.

And so what?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dancing above the Waves.

Diving below them.

Bergen County, Northern New Jersey, USA
5,841 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
It is not the Wine Petrols. As in my Faith ..moderation is the key word..eh..

On boarding with CCL/CUK :NYSE /LSE on any of the Cruise Lines including Cunard I have never had a problem on Embarking and or any Port of Call !

Yes many of the needs in Revenues are generated now especially the Major Cruise Line HQ actually in Asia with those Three Letters which I cry a tear for Norway as it is nothing as that great country and allie is at all.

That one is even not allowing Bottled Water nor soda-pop either.

Here in New Jersey we have no TaX nor deposits/fees on bottles/cans/containers!

Cunard HQ in the Princess building in California, Los Angeles County and where Harry Carey II lived. They said " Unlimited Water/Soda-pop "may be brought aboard too.

So yes IMHO Cunard is a few thousand percent better ! It is not a Nickel and Dime line!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
truncated American born, bred, proud of it. Garden State growing. Cruise more miles on open water!We are Nautical eh..
1066 a.d William I.Again allied Flanders on ships with King Richard I won England / Scotland.Only I have documented from a.d. 241 so far.
Our N. American Family 1584-1587 Roanok Colony / Croatoan site, first English male child born in N.America, first Permanent Settlement on 05/14/1607 A.D. 2 of the 3 ships, Susan (Sarah) Constant & Godspeed building a fort at Jamestowne, Va.

A few years later also 8 more Kin Folk, aboard on the Dutch Liquor Ship, Mayflower 1621.

June 14th, a.d. 1646 our direct kinsman French first Grand Admiral Jean Armand de Maillé-Brézé killed at the Battle of Ortebello , at Sunset on his Flag Ship Grand Saint Louis . His dad was Marshall of France General Urbain de Maillé-Brézé married Miss Nicole du Plessis-Richelieu only sister of Cardinal Richelieu ...Armand Jean du Plessis, cardinal-duc de Richelieu et de Fronsac .

Site of the Battle ( Orbetello) of Isola del Giglio was near the Friday, a.d. Jan.13th 2012 17 Decked SHIP Costa Concordia Crashed (no deck 13) .
May GOD Bless US of America !
eh..what did ya say?
+ <:><~~

I know we can/may all agree to disagree on cruising but provide learning opportunities for all.

((\/))
Our Ocean current, Favorite's ( Favourite's) Cruise Lines are:Cunard/HAL

Our next Ship Trip now is

*Having quality is so much nicer than quantity at a much lower value.* eCommerce with a conscience!*((\/))
Auckland, New Zealand
678 Posts
Joined May 2009
I was the original poster of this thread so thought I'd let you know how we got on - perfectly fine! We took some wine in our bag and also in our carry on. No problem at all. We then emptied the refrigerator in the room (steward couldn't take it away so we stashed it in a cupboard) and restocked it with our wine. Certainly an aspect of any cruise ship that we like, the ability to take on some wine of our own.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next Cruise: Ovation of the Seas - February 2018
Sailed P&O Pacific Jewel, New Zealand 2017
Sailed Cunard Queen Elizabeth, Australasia 2017
Sailed Oceania Regatta, Mediterranean 2012
Sailed Celebrity Summit, Mediterranean 2009
Vale of Glamorgan
3,560 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Thank you for reporting back, I hope you had a good time on QE.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
Lincolnshire, UK
56 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Originally posted by Scottygirl1
I was the original poster of this thread so thought I'd let you know how we got on - perfectly fine! We took some wine in our bag and also in our carry on. No problem at all. We then emptied the refrigerator in the room (steward couldn't take it away so we stashed it in a cupboard) and restocked it with our wine. Certainly an aspect of any cruise ship that we like, the ability to take on some wine of our own.

I was going to ask how you got on so thanks for the update. We are sailing to Hamburg on the QE in May and I will be taking my G & T's with me
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

29 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
Just completed Southampton to Melbourne on QM2. We took 12 bottles of wine onboard in our hand luggage. No problem. We are happy to pay the corkage charge in the restaurant.

Supplemented with some amazing South African wines from a ships tour and Australian in Adelaide.

We received a voucher for 10% off spirits a couple of days out of Southampton and took 2 bottles back to the cabin.
51 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Originally posted by sandjango
I'm sure some will try and overdo it ...and spoil it for everyone else, then Cunard will clamp down harder..

See my earlier post.
USA
121 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
---- I know it's tongue in cheek, but I have heard that if you can fit it in your CABIN it's OK to bring it on. Seriously, I have never seen or heard of anyone ever having any problem with bringing any amount of liquor on board.
Warwickshire UK
2,598 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
This is good news if we decide to go with Cunard as doing a Transatlantic would stop us doing our usual port buying and my husband would be thrilled to bring on his favourite whisky.

Do you think they would be more suspicious of us due to out age? (30)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Norway 10 day on the Norwegian Jade August 2017
Mediterranean 12 day on Carnival Vista August 2016
Atlantic Coast 7 day on the Royal Caribbean Independence of the seas May 2016
Mediterranean 13 day on the Celebrity Equinox August 2015
Panama Canal and Caribbean 13 day on the Carnival Legend August 2014
Baltic 12 day on the Carnival Legend August 2013
Pennsylvania
5,736 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Suspicious of what?

Carry on what you'd like (but also patronize the bars to enjoy the ambience).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
Cheshire
240 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
We took 2 dozen bottles split between four of us in hold luggage and will do the same (or more) thus summer. Had it in main dining room and paid corkage. No problem.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
capecod ma
407 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
On our qm2 sailing last year I bought a bottle of vodka in their shop on day 3 and was able to take it to my room right then. At first I thought they were joking but I was very pleasantly surprised!!!!