preexisting and cancellation ?

dorchrislen

Hi All, my mom has a heart condition and surgery about 3 weeks before our cruise on March 24th. I haven't purchased insurance yet, but know I need to. My questions are:

1) if I don't purchase the insurance and need to postpone due to her health, can I move any of the cruise cost to a new booking, or do I lose full cruise fare for the 3 of us (me, spouse, and son)?

2) I've already paid for the cruise, so I can't get the "cancel for anything option" now, but can I buy the insurance and still claim for the full fare if her health goes (or God forbid worse) and I already knew when I purchased insurance that her health was at risk?

Thanks so much.

The important question is on what date did you book the cruise?

The MOST COMMON provision is that you have to buy the insurance within 21 days of booking the cruise in order to be covered for a pre-existing medical condition.

You are going to have to go through all different policies and read the terms to see if they will cover you for what you need. There is no other short cut.

In terms of canceling without insurance, that would depend on the fare rules under which you booked, and Carnival's willingness to work with you despite the rules.

A couple of things

Insurance will only cover medical conditions or emergencies that are unforeseen.

You already know that your mother is scheduled for surgery. The insurance company will figure this out when they investigate your claim.

You can’t get pre-existing condition coverage because her surgery is scheduled.

To purchase insurance right now, the covered party MUST be in a current condition that they could travel now. Surgery is scheduled.

You have the responsibility under the insurance terms to mitigate any loss. In other words, if you know you have to cancel when there is a $500 loss, but wait until there is a $1000 loss, the insurance company may only be liable for the $500.

A couple of things

Insurance will only cover medical conditions or emergencies that are unforeseen.

You already know that your mother is scheduled for surgery. The insurance company will figure this out when they investigate your claim.

You can’t get pre-existing condition coverage because her surgery is scheduled.

To purchase insurance right now, the covered party MUST be in a current condition that they could travel now. Surgery is scheduled.

You have the responsibility under the insurance terms to mitigate any loss. In other words, if you know you have to cancel when there is a $500 loss, but wait until there is a $1000 loss, the insurance company may only be liable for the $500.

I'm sorry, but this is not necessarily correct. Depends on the heart surgery, the prognosis could be that she is most likely able to go. The issue isn't whether or not she has a pre-existing condition that is covered. The issue is can they now purchase insurance that will cover pre-existing conditions. While this seems very lenient, it's not something they worry about because of the 21 days limit to cover pre-existing conditions. They aren't worried about people booking trips they know they won't be able to go on, just to collect on the cost of the trip. Yes, they may book on trips they MIGHT not be able to go on, and that is why they buy the insurance!

As always, policies differ from company to company, and even state to state by the same company, so ALWAYS read the policy you buy to see what is and is not covered. The advice we give you here can only be general/most common policy stipulations, but any individual policy could be completely different!

Check Nationwide travel insurance via insure my trip as they offer insurance for this later date (after initial deposit) that will include preexisting conditions for health (it will cost you). I think they may the only company I have found that does this at the later timeframe. Set the filter when searching the insure my trip website for preexisting conditions. Make sure you READ the fine print and UNDERSTAND the conditions.

Hmmm...I was always understanding that Carnival's insurance didn't cover any PRE-EXISTING conditions. A couple of years ago, one of our fellow travellers was in 4th stage COPD...I don't believe Carnival would have covered that if something went wrong while on the ship and had to be air-lifted off the ship...Cheap insurance for being in that bad health before even boarding? Am I wrong?

Hmmm...I was always understanding that Carnival's insurance didn't cover any PRE-EXISTING conditions. A couple of years ago, one of our fellow travellers was in 4th stage COPD...I don't believe Carnival would have covered that if something went wrong while on the ship and had to be air-lifted off the ship...Cheap insurance for being in that bad health before even boarding? Am I wrong?

if purchased insurance the same time you booked the cruise the pre existing condition will be covered

My mom is the one with the heart issue, she is not going on the cruise. It’s myself my husband and my son. She is having a stent put in on March 5. Our cruise is March 24. We booked the cruise over a year before and it’s been paid for a while. I’m hoping everything will be fine, but wondering if I should buy the insurance just in case she has a turn for the worse or something else. Then I would have to cancel using the clause that my immediate family has a Health Issue or worse. So it’s not something pre-existing for me but for an immediate family member. And I’m still not sure it would cause us to miss our trip. Hopefully not.

My mom is the one with the heart issue, she is not going on the cruise. It’s myself my husband and my son. She is having a stent put in on March 5. Our cruise is March 24. We booked the cruise over a year before and it’s been paid for a while. I’m hoping everything will be fine, but wondering if I should buy the insurance just in case she has a turn for the worse or something else. Then I would have to cancel using the clause that my immediate family has a Health Issue or worse. So it’s not something pre-existing for me but for an immediate family member. And I’m still not sure it would cause us to miss our trip. Hopefully not.

quote from one travel insurance broker company:

If travelers would like to guarantee the option of full coverage, travelers must purchase travel insurance no later than 14-30 days after their initial trip deposit. If travelers miss the deadline, benefits such as Pre-existing medical condition coverage, Cancel for Any Reason and Financial Default may not be available.

“The most common mistake made by travelers with medical conditions is missing the deadline for buying insurance to cover their pre-existing illness, simply because they don’t know such a deadline exists,” warns Chris Harvey, CEO of Squaremouth.

The OP's Mom "cardiac artery disease" that requires the stenting would be the pre-existing condition, not the procedure to rectify it. Depending on her age and physical condition, how many and where the stents are placed, the need for cardiac rehab if necessary afterwards, whether a more serious operation like bypass is performed, are all variables that her doctor will evaluate to determine if cruising is okay. Flying will usually be advised against after normal stenting.

In any case, the OP should call a trip insurer and present their scenario to them for accurate advice on how to proceed.

Thanks everyone! This is all so confusing. My mom is not traveling. My sister can stay with her if needed.

I just was thinking I needed to ensure for cancellation in case things got really bad. I guess we’ll just consider it a lesson learned if we lose the three grand because we have to cancel at the last minute. It doesn’t sound like adding insurance now would help.

I did talk to Carnival’s Insurance company and he said that I could buy the insurance up to 14 days prior and if I had to cancel because my mom had a complication or didn’t make it that I would just need to provide a doctors statement to that effect and they would reimburse me for the fare. But I don’t feel very confident after reading all these responses.

First, I believe pre-existing condition is for the person who is traveling on the cruise. So stop using that term. Your mom is having surgery 3 weeks before the cruise and you expect her to be perfectly fine. Anything else would be unexpected. That is not a preexisting condition. Assuming you can buy insurance at this late date at all, I don't think that will be an issue, but read the policy to find out. Make sure you get a policy that covers the serious illness of an extended family member. If you use insure my trip a chat box will pop up at some point asking if you need help. Specifically say that you want to buy insurance that covers an emergency with an extended family member not on the cruise like your mom. The chat guy will help you. Screen shot your conversation with him. Good luck!

First, I believe pre-existing condition is for the person who is traveling on the cruise. So stop using that term. Your mom is having surgery 3 weeks before the cruise and you expect her to be perfectly fine. Anything else would be unexpected. That is not a preexisting condition. Assuming you can buy insurance at this late date at all, I don't think that will be an issue, but read the policy to find out. Make sure you get a policy that covers the serious illness of an extended family member. If you use insure my trip a chat box will pop up at some point asking if you need help. Specifically say that you want to buy insurance that covers an emergency with an extended family member not on the cruise like your mom. The chat guy will help you. Screen shot your conversation with him. Good luck!

Good advice Nevada Jen! Almost all the replies were basing their responses on the Mother going on the cruise, which she isn't.

To the OP, you can pull up the insurance purchased through Carnival and read the policy terms.

However, I think purchasing travel insurance is a good idea regardless of any current circumstances. It's wonderful if you don't have a need to file a claim, but it's a godsend if you do need it. I always consider that part of my total cost of cruising. You just never know what might happen.

2 years ago I was booked on a 14 day cruise and woke up in the hotel the day of the cruise with severe food poisoning and spent 12 hours in the emergency room the day of embarkation. The ship sailed without us. It's the last thing that I expected to happen. However, we did have travel insurance.

Screen shot of the definition of who is consider when buying pre=existing condition

https://tripinsurancestore.com/how-travel-insurance-pre-existing-medical-conditions-coverage-works/

her mother counts

and here's a link where Steve talks about scheduled surgery

https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/will-travel-insurance-cover-my-scheduled-surgery/

I am sorry to hear this and I also have surgery for neck and spine coming up and my cruise will be six weeks after surgery ugh! Speak to her physician and find out whether she be ok to go first....perhaps a cruise after three weeks of surgery will be in her best interest...to get away and relax?

I purchase GeoBlue which is Blue Cross/Shield International...they don't cover delay flights, cancelled flights, give you money back for the cruise if you can't make it but what they do provide is excellent overall coverage for health insurance should she need it.....this includes medical evacuation from the ship and whatever other care she needs....I get the Voyager Plus problem that includes pre-existing conditions, zero deductible, no out of pocket payments ever and up to one million dollars...their premium depends on age, I am 55 and my plan costs $30.80 for my upcoming cruise...honestly, if she can go its best but get this insurance....its fast, simple, just by a simple phone call and its done within minutes, they provide you with a medical insurance card also online and offer 24/7 customer service and help should you need it.

I am sorry to hear this and I also have surgery for neck and spine coming up and my cruise will be six weeks after surgery ugh! Speak to her physician and find out whether she be ok to go first....perhaps a cruise after three weeks of surgery will be in her best interest...to get away and relax?

I purchase GeoBlue which is Blue Cross/Shield International...they don't cover delay flights, cancelled flights, give you money back for the cruise if you can't make it but what they do provide is excellent overall coverage for health insurance should she need it.....this includes medical evacuation from the ship and whatever other care she needs....I get the Voyager Plus problem that includes pre-existing conditions, zero deductible, no out of pocket payments ever and up to one million dollars...their premium depends on age, I am 55 and my plan costs $30.80 for my upcoming cruise...honestly, if she can go its best but get this insurance....its fast, simple, just by a simple phone call and its done within minutes, they provide you with a medical insurance card also online and offer 24/7 customer service and help should you need it.

Her Mother is not going on the cruise.

OP here, I went to insure my trip.com and chatted. Unfortunately, there is no coverage for my circumstances (any complications from mom”s surgery). So now I will just pray and hope for the best. Thank you everyone.

I do have another cruise for July which I still owe $130 on. I will go in and buy the insurance today.

One more thing: so I guess the lesson learned for everyone is if you don’t want to take the risk make sure and purchase the insurance at the same time as you make the first payment on the cruise, in other words when you book it because then you are making the down payment. Hope others learn from my mistakes.

Is it possible that the credit card you used has travel insurance included? I was using a card for years to book cruises and paying for insurance through insuremytrip and realized about 1 1/2 years ago that the card automatically insured our trip. It might be worth checking out.

Is it possible that the credit card you used has travel insurance included? I was using a card for years to book cruises and paying for insurance through insuremytrip and realized about 1 1/2 years ago that the card automatically insured our trip. It might be worth checking out.

I don’t think this would work for me because I used my BofA credit card to purchase AARP carnival gift cards and then used those to pay. But I will check it out anyways. Thanks for the tip.

OP again, unfortunately I can’t buy for the July cruise either since it’s been over 21 days since my first payment on it. I probably could get it through carnival though and I will check that out.

There are still insurers who will cover pre-existing conditions (and your mom's heart condition and subsequent surgery qualified) even if you have passed the 21 days from first payment/deposit.

Use Insure My Trip or Squaremouth and look again. Did you ask the agent what policies would cover pre-existing for a cruise on which final payment has not yet been made? I know there is an Allianz policy out there that covers pre-existing as long as it's purchased prior to final payment, and on the day of purchase, all travelers are fit to travel.

While one should consider purchasing within the 14-21 day limit when they or a family member has a pre-existing condition, there are other options out there when you are before final payment.

Did you ask the agent what policies would cover pre-existing for a cruise on which final payment has not yet been made? I know there is an Allianz policy out there that covers pre-existing as long as it's purchased prior to final payment, and on the day of purchase, all travelers are fit to travel.

yes, he said there was no coverage for my circumstances as I described them here and to him. I’ll check into the other insurance company mentioned above