preexisting and cancellation ?

dorchrislen

OP again, unfortunately I can’t buy for the July cruise either since it’s been over 21 days since my first payment on it. I probably could get it through carnival though and I will check that out.

Can you buy cancel for any reason insurance just prior to final payment for your July cruise? We have only sailed Holland America but our last cruise I had unexpected surgery just before final payment. I was allowed to purchase cancel for any reason through HAL. Basically if we had to cancel we had the option of 80% or 90% refund depending which policy we bought. Not sure if this helps you or not.

OP again, unfortunately I can’t buy for the July cruise either since it’s been over 21 days since my first payment on it. I probably could get it through carnival though and I will check that out.

As long as you haven’t made final payment you can get Nationwide Choice Cruise. They go by final payment date NOT deposit date. For your July cruise.

Hi All, my mom has a heart condition and surgery about 3 weeks before our cruise on March 24th. I haven't purchased insurance yet, but know I need to. My questions are:

1) if I don't purchase the insurance and need to postpone due to her health, can I move any of the cruise cost to a new booking, or do I lose full cruise fare for the 3 of us (me, spouse, and son)?

2) I've already paid for the cruise, so I can't get the "cancel for anything option" now, but can I buy the insurance and still claim for the full fare if her health goes (or God forbid worse) and I already knew when I purchased insurance that her health was at risk?

Thanks so much.

If her fare was purchased with a credit card, check to see if the card benefits include any sort of travel insurance coverage. I make sure to use cards with this type of coverage for all of my travel expenses.

Thanks everyone! This is all so confusing. My mom is not traveling. My sister can stay with her if needed.

I just was thinking I needed to ensure for cancellation in case things got really bad. I guess we’ll just consider it a lesson learned if we lose the three grand because we have to cancel at the last minute. It doesn’t sound like adding insurance now would help.

I did talk to Carnival’s Insurance company and he said that I could buy the insurance up to 14 days prior and if I had to cancel because my mom had a complication or didn’t make it that I would just need to provide a doctors statement to that effect and they would reimburse me for the fare. But I don’t feel very confident after reading all these responses.

I'm sorry your mom is so ill. Your original post was not very clear. It did not state that your mom was NOT cruising ... so a lot of helpful people gave you information focusing on your mom, as a cruise passenger, and HER getting insurance.

It's helpful that you did let us know that your mom isn't sailing with your family.

I'm interested in learning if you can get cancel for any reason insurance for an extended family member and in what time frame it has to be purchased.

if purchased insurance the same time you booked the cruise the pre existing condition will be covered

Really...any reviews or info i have read tend not to support that....I am talking about the insurance through Carnival....I don't see them paying for someone being airlifted off the ship and hospitalized for a pre-existing condition that someone has had for a while? For what...$80 or 90.00....for an 8 night cruise....

Really...any reviews or info i have read tend not to support that....I am talking about the insurance through Carnival....I don't see them paying for someone being airlifted off the ship and hospitalized for a pre-existing condition that someone has had for a while? For what...$80 or 90.00....for an 8 night cruise....

You are correct and Serene56 is incorrect according the below information

https://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/vacation_protection_plan/Carnival_plan_desc_0507.pdf

This is on page 3

Carnival will not waive their cancellation fee and provide a cash refund, should you cancel or interrupt your cruise vacation for any of the following reasons:

• a condition that first presents, worsens, becomes acute, or has symptoms causing a person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment, or prompts a change in medication, during the 60 days before the Cancellation Fee Waiver Program is purchased;

And this is on page 7

In Parts A & B (except Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation) we will not pay for any loss caused by or incurred resulting from a Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion as defined below.

Pre-Existing Condition means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 60-day period immediately prior to your effective date for which you or your Traveling Companion, or Immediate Family Member who is scheduled or booked to travel with you:

1) received or received a recommendation for a diagnostic test, examination, or medical treatment; or

2) took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine.

Item 2) of this definition does not apply to a condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 60-day period before coverage is effective under this Policy.

Google is real easy to use to provide information.

Thanks all. She really needs a triple bypass but it’s too risky. She’s 82 and they don’t think she would survive the surgery. So the stent on the LED is just a mitigating procedure. The other right side needs a few stents but they can’t do them because they’re too risky. So she’s on isosorbide for the neck and chest pains and taking it day by day. I wish it were as simple as just needing a single stent. Thank you for all the information and concern. I really appreciate it.

Thanks all. She really needs a triple bypass but it’s too risky. She’s 82 and they don’t think she would survive the surgery. So the stent on the LED is just a mitigating procedure. The other right side needs a few stents but they can’t do them because they’re too risky. So she’s on isosorbide for the neck and chest pains and taking it day by day. I wish it were as simple as just needing a single stent. Thank you for all the information and concern. I really appreciate it.

I hope this doesn't come off as unfeeling - online communication can seem cold sometimes:(. Based on your mother's age and description of her health I think the greatest risk for something happening is at the time of surgery which is 3 weeks before your cruise, which should give enough time to make arrangements. My mother passed at 55 from pneumonia, but her parents were both in their 90's when they passed (and had multiple health issues including heart) so you never know when it is a loved one's time.

Praying you get to have an enjoyable trip and share the memories with Mom when you return.

I hope this doesn't come off as unfeeling

No it didn't, and I do understand where you are coming from. I am a worrier by nature, and I believe I'm transferring my frustration at not being able to control the situation and fear of losing her all into this concern; plus I feel a bit of guilt at even worrying about my vacation with her going through so much. But life also comes with loss, and I'm preparing.

So sorry you lost your mom so young.

Ask your moms doctor for more detailed information about her risk. If they are concerned about her hearts ability to keep blood moving adequately during the repairs then she may be best served with a PCI " protected cardiac intervention". My hubby has a long history working in cardiology (cath lab, echo, OR) and now teaches physicians how to use a tiny temporary heart pump called Impella that unloads the heart during the interventions and is removed afterward. It really is remarkable and has allowed many, otherwise high risk patients to endure the required repairs safely .

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

No it didn't, and I do understand where you are coming from. I am a worrier by nature, and I believe I'm transferring my frustration at not being able to control the situation and fear of losing her all into this concern; plus I feel a bit of guilt at even worrying about my vacation with her going through so much. But life also comes with loss, and I'm preparing.

So sorry you lost your mom so young.

Thanks, Mom had MS which affected her cognitive functions as well as physically and in a way we "lost" her many years before she passed. I still miss her every day though <|3

I imagine your mom wants you to live your life to its fullest, so try to let go of what you can't control (I know, easier said than done) and prepare for what you can - and enjoy your cruise taking lots of pictures to share when you return.

This thread reads like a Abbott & Costello skit......Who's on First? Daughter's on second and Mom's not going on the cruise playing third........Go enjoy the cruise, by the time you leave you'll know your mother is fine and if not your sister can watch her till you return. You'll have to take shifts if she is sick anyway.....My sister and I care for my 93 year old dad; I'm

familiar with the drill!

Ask your moms doctor for more detailed information about her risk. If they are concerned about her hearts ability to keep blood moving adequately during the repairs then she may be best served with a PCI " protected cardiac intervention". My hubby has a long history working in cardiology (cath lab, echo, OR) and now teaches physicians how to use a tiny temporary heart pump called Impella that unloads the heart during the interventions and is removed afterward. It really is remarkable and has allowed many, otherwise high risk patients to endure the required repairs safely .

Thanks! Yes, they said they would possibly use the impala process and are considering PCI. I’m learning a lot so fast!

This thread reads like a Abbott & Costello skit......Who's on First? Daughter's on second and Mom's not going on the cruise playing third........Go enjoy the cruise, by the time you leave you'll know your mother is fine and if not your sister can watch her till you return. You'll have to take shifts if she is sick anyway.....My sister and I care for my 93 year old dad; I'm

familiar with the drill!

I know right? Great advice from you all!

Its great that they are already thinking in that direction. Its really been a miracle. So many people who were inoperable before are having wonderful outcomes. What city is your mom in ?

She lives with me and we are in Las Vegas, not known for great medicine unfortunately.

dorchrislen- I have no advice for you, just wanted you to know I've marked Mar 5 on my calendar and will say a prayer for your mom that day!

Think good thoughts and enjoy your cruise on the 24th!!

Wow, there are some big, beautiful hearts on this board. Thank you!

Would this work?

1. Cancel current cruise and pay any penalties due
  2. Immediately re-book same cruise.
  3. Purchase the required insurance.

Depending on how close your cruise is, #1 may be pretty cheap (consider it part of the insurance.)

There could have been a price increase when you rebook - if so, add that to the cost of #1.

Doing this, there should be no issue with the insurance, as long as you buy the coverage you need. So total cost for this route (worst case) is costs of #1 and #3, plus any deductible if you claim a loss. Compare all that totaled to the total cost of the cruise you are trying to protect. Is the cost worth the risk of potentially losing some or all of the cruise fare?