Plan ahead for Dublin Cruise port embarkation/disembarkation

luv2cruisecats

So despite all the port drama, someone please tell us about the cruise itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To give another view....

My opinion is that the cruise was amazing. The ship, crew and other passengers were great. We enjoyed every port despite the weather not being optimal. Iceland in early May, we didn't expect Caribbean like weather. The weather changed seemingly by the minute. When we exited the ship on our 2nd day in Reykjavik it was snowing as we walked down the gangway and was sunny by the time we made it through the customs tent!

Layers and a wind/water resistant outer layer made the day enjoyable.

We enjoyed every port, some privately planned excursions and some through the ship.

We tendered in Lerwick and were less then a 5 minute tender ride from ship to dock.

We ate dinner every night but one in the MDR and found the food to be from good to very good. Portions are not large but between starters, main courses, desserts and drinks we were very full every meal. Waitress, assistant waitress, sommelier and drinks server were all friendly, professional, efficient and courteous.

The stage shows varied with some ok and some very good. The aerialists were very good. Guest performers were excellent. House band was mediocre in my opinion until the very last night when miraculously the singer sang her heart out and the song selection improved 1000%.

Our experience with embarkation was pleasant. We boarded about 1PM. Taxi was directed to a tent. Our luggage was collected. We checked in, boarded a bus and were on the ship in about 20 minutes.

Debarkation was also good. Left the ship about 9:15 our luggage was waiting and we queued for the taxi line which took about 20 minutes. There were several accidents near the port that caused traffic delays to and from the port. Port personnel kept the queue organized and orderly.

Dublin airport for flight to the US are confusing. We had an 850AM flight and our airline told us to arrive 4 hours early. We ignored them and got to the airport at 530 and their counter wasn't even open. Customs pre-clearance didn't open until 7AM on the dot and they didn't open the door to line up for security and customs until 620AM.

To give another view....

My opinion is that the cruise was amazing. The ship, crew and other passengers were great. We enjoyed every port despite the weather not being optimal. Iceland in early May, we didn't expect Caribbean like weather. The weather changed seemingly by the minute. When we exited the ship on our 2nd day in Reykjavik it was snowing as we walked down the gangway and was sunny by the time we made it through the customs tent!

Layers and a wind/water resistant outer layer made the day enjoyable.

We enjoyed every port, some privately planned excursions and some through the ship.

We tendered in Lerwick and were less then a 5 minute tender ride from ship to dock.

We ate dinner every night but one in the MDR and found the food to be from good to very good. Portions are not large but between starters, main courses, desserts and drinks we were very full every meal. Waitress, assistant waitress, sommelier and drinks server were all friendly, professional, efficient and courteous.

The stage shows varied with some ok and some very good. The aerialists were very good. Guest performers were excellent. House band was mediocre in my opinion until the very last night when miraculously the singer sang her heart out and the song selection improved 1000%.

Our experience with embarkation was pleasant. We boarded about 1PM. Taxi was directed to a tent. Our luggage was collected. We checked in, boarded a bus and were on the ship in about 20 minutes.

Debarkation was also good. Left the ship about 9:15 our luggage was waiting and we queued for the taxi line which took about 20 minutes. There were several accidents near the port that caused traffic delays to and from the port. Port personnel kept the queue organized and orderly.

Dublin airport for flight to the US are confusing. We had an 850AM flight and our airline told us to arrive 4 hours early. We ignored them and got to the airport at 530 and their counter wasn't even open. Customs pre-clearance didn't open until 7AM on the dot and they didn't open the door to line up for security and customs until 620AM.

Thanks so much for your review.

About the airport. In my early morning travels, I often arrive before ticket counter/bag drop areas are open trying to meet the 3-hour rule. I’m getting wiser now and knowing I don’t want to be there at 5 am when no one else is.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were pelted with ice pellets while out on one excursion. We would not do Iceland again this time of the year.

I've always wondered why it is called 'Iceland'. :evilsmile:

Now I wonder what is the best week of the year to go there and not be pelted?

All the "locals" we met said that the weather was surprising to them. They reported good weather and no snow on the ski sloops the week before our cruise. I guess weather will be weather.

The ship for this cruise was very disorganized, but I found the cruise enjoyable and interesting.

Flying into Raleigh thru Boston. No matter what airport we could have used to enter the US, any flight later than our 11:30am flight would have required another night in Dublin or a 6+ layover in another city. Neither are attractive choices for us, but this booking was done months ago, long before the airport transportation issues were discussed.

We have purchased Fast Track. I will book a taxi in advance. I will talk to celebrity about a ship transfer (and likely 'adjust' our flight departure time. As always, we only have carry on luggage. And we will stop worrying about this.

Just an update for those who might be reading this: I've contacted a couple of taxi companies. None will accept a pre-booking for Port of Dublin. One explained that the Port has done some "things" that make it impossible for them to accept reservations for that location. And they clearly felt badly about it. One offered to pick us up at another location, outside the port, but explained that it was about a half mile away. That's not gonna work for DH's knees.

Just an update for those who might be reading this: I've contacted a couple of taxi companies. None will accept a pre-booking for Port of Dublin. One explained that the Port has done some "things" that make it impossible for them to accept reservations for that location. And they clearly felt badly about it. One offered to pick us up at another location, outside the port, but explained that it was about a half mile away. That's not gonna work for DH's knees.

Just enjoy your cruise and worry nothing else.

If your ship arrive at 5am. there is no reason you cant be at the airport for your 11:30am flight.

As a frequent flyer.I know the plane will wait for 15-20 min. for Transatlantic departure and catch up with the time during the flight.

If your ship arrive at 5am. there is no reason you cant be at the airport for your 11:30am flight.

As a frequent flyer.I know the plane will wait for 15-20 min. for Transatlantic departure and catch up with the time during the flight.

Good luck with that.

Thank you all for the information on the Dublin Pier. I am on the last cruise out of Dublin for this round. It really helps to know what to expect. Thankfully my cruise ends in Amsterdam so I won't have the taxi problem many of you have had. I just have to get to Pier 7, the bus and then the ship. I am hoping by then the Port has worked the bugs out. Also glad to know that the Eclipse is in good shape.

Our flight from Dublin on May 3 left on time....so I would not give the impression that ALL flights are going to wait 15-20 past stated departure time.

Our flight from Dublin on May 3 left on time....so I would not give the impression that ALL flights are going to wait 15-20 past stated departure time.

What time was your flight...what time did you arrive at DUB...time left ship..etc etc...helpful to those of us that will soon be flying post cruise from there.

I was passenger who disembarked Dublin April 30 without Luggage. My suitcase just arrived at NYC address today May 23 via DHL. No explanation from Celebrity. Poor customer service is all I can say.

That is poor by Celebrity. I do hope you live at that NYC address...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When did your luggage go missing? I would not leave the side of the ship without all of our luggage. We were delayed once as the Celebrity tag had come off one bag. No help from Celebrity but we kept walking through the baggage area and found it in an unrelated baggage belt. We have not had missing luggage from the airlines but we always allow time for connections and arrive at least two days before sailing. Dublin sounds like a port to avoid. The one time we missed a ship was when we traveled Delta to Santiago. Our connecting flight to Atlanta was delayed landing due to Thunderstorms. This did not keep our flight to Santiago from departing 20 minutes earlier than scheduled. The flight was overbooked so once they filled the plane, off it went leaving about 20 passengers stranded in Atlanta. We had to wait a full 24 hours for the next Delta flight. The twenty of us stranded caughted the ship three days later at Arica. Now we always arrive days before the ship departure.