Cocktail aficionados: Do you ask for specific recipes?

KnightsFan

Sure...if they have it, they will mix it! You'll be surprised at how many drinks they know how to make!

Actually- you'll be surprised at how many drinks they don't know how to make (or butcher in the process).

For example: request a Sidecar (a true classic). In most cases, unless you specify the ingredients/measurements, what you'll be served is a mix of some rotgut brandy with triple sec and an overly sweet citrus mixer.

The classic Sidecar is a decent cognac (e.g., Hennessy Privilege), Cointreau and fresh lemon juice (ratio= 2:1:1).

Likewise, a Margarita: say nothing and you may get Cuervo (choke!), triple sec and citrus mixer blended with ice. So gross.

Want the arguable "original" recipe (Tommy's)? Specify a decent Reposado Tequila (e.g., ElTesoro), fresh lime juice and Agave syrup (shaken) over ice (2:1:.50 ratio). If you must add something "Orange," make it Cointreau.

Looking for a new favorite cocktail? Try an Aviation: Bombay Sapphire Gin, Luxardo Maraschino Liquor, fresh lemon juice and Creme de Violette- no substitutions! (ratio: 2:.50:.75:.25). Recipe calls for brandied cherry garnish. Luxardo Maraschino cherry is the standard though I prefer Bada Bing cherries (at home, you can find them at BevMo).

And I'll save the manifesto on Mai Tais for a future post.

Now I expect someone may post that it's a waste to put good booze in a mixed drink. Do some blind side-by-side comparisons and you'll quickly recognize how wrong is that comment.

Sure...if they have it, they will mix it! You'll be surprised at how many drinks they know how to make!

I was on the NCL Sky and had to explain, in the champagne bar, how to make a French 75 … Ironically, the same bartender knew how to make a hell of a dry gin martini.

I was on the NCL Sky and had to explain, in the champagne bar, how to make a French 75 … Ironically, the same bartender knew how to make a hell of a dry gin martini.

Since a properly-dry martini (if the bartender reaches for vodka, go to a different bar - the schmucks who want vodka in it are the ones who should be asking a Vodka Martini, ALL martinis should default to gin!) involves only your gin of choice, cooled (shaken or stirred is personal preference) while looking at a bottle of Vermouth, perfection or abject failure are the only possible outcomes - there's no way to screw up the proportions of a single-ingredient drink;-)

Really though it comes down to how much faith you have in the competence of your bartender - in general I'll assume basic competence and ask for any classic and still popular cocktail or sling without specifying anything about it to see how it comes, then request it differently next time if needed - except Manhattans! More often than not they're made with Bourbon these days instead of Rye, so that always needs clarified - if there's no actual Rye available (often the case on a cruise ship, but many land-based bars also assume that all Canadian Whiskies are made with Rye - they aren't!) I'll do a Perfect (50/50 Sweet/Regular vermouth) with Bourbon (all Sweet vermouth makes it too sweet for my taste with the lighter liquor).

I agree brand of liquor - at least in a real cocktail with pretty much just booze and ice rather than some froo-froo thing full of fruit juice or coconut milk - does make an immediately-apparent difference if tasted side-by-side. Personally though I find that in many cocktails changing the bitters (even the '1 dash' kind - try swapping Peychauds for Angostura or vice versa - but especially the 'drinking bitters' like Vermouth and Campari) makes an even bigger difference than the brand of liquor. The sometimes wildly-different amounts of sugar, the different herb types and proportions thereof etc. can skew the flavour profile a LOT in say a Negroni.

However I still rarely demand X/Y/Z brand combos, because a decent bartender should always be able to make something that may be different than how I do it but also good, sometimes even better than how I've been drinking it for years. For example now I use 50/50 Aperol and Campari for my Negronis at home in warm weather thanks to the bar program at Coquille here in Vancouver - bumps up the refreshment factor nicely while still retaining the core 'gin plus sweet bitters' concept!

When you're cruising will you specify a specific recipe for more obscure beverages? For instance, a classic daiquiri (2 oz. rum, 1 oz. lime juice, 1/2 oz. syrup; shaken) or a Mary Pickford (1 oz. rum, 2 oz. pineapple juice, dash grenadine).

Yes. I like espresso martinis. They tend to make them a little too sweet, so I specify what ingredients I want.

Why can't any one make a Harvey Wallbanger. Most bar tenders have never heard of it anymore. Nor has my spellcheck.

It's a wonderful classic drink.that has been around forever until I became legal.

That is a weird one. It's also surprising that they don't have books with recipes behind the bar to consult.

That is a weird one. It's also surprising that they don't have books with recipes behind the bar to consult.

It must be wierd but the ingredients are;

1.5 oz VODKA

4 oz. Orange juice

1.5 oz Galileo

1 marichanoo cherry over ice

HB glass

Why would that be odd?

Bar tenders on the ships do not know how to make very many cocktails. They are good at pouring the ones that are on their menus, but if it's' not on the menu, they are likely not going to know how to make it. Often they don't even have the ingredients to make most cocktails.

Not in Brazil.

Raw or Demarara sugar.

White sugar in a pinch.

I have had MANY of them, in a number of locations in Brasil. And I was discussing this with one of the officers, who was from Brazil, when ordering at the pool bar, and she agreed.

Not in Brazil.

Raw or Demarara sugar.

White sugar in a pinch.

I have had MANY of them, in a number of locations in Brasil. And I was discussing this with one of the officers, who was from Brazil, when ordering at the pool bar, and she agreed.

If Demarara works, perhaps Gomme would be fine (and could do double duty with Pisco Sours).

It must be wierd but the ingredients are;

1.5 oz VODKA

4 oz. Orange juice

1.5 oz Galileo

1 marichanoo cherry over ice

HB glass

Why would that be odd?

I think you mean Galiano, not Galileo (he would be pretty funky by now!). It was probably your spellcheck, anyway!!:D