Coral Princess - Various Newbie Questions

rjohn40787

My wife and I will be in a full suite on the Coral in April on a 15-day Panama Canal cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles.

During evenings while at sea, can one comfortably enjoy the Ultimate Balcony Dining, or does it often get too breezy?

Do the full suites provide Kleenex like a hotel on land, or do we need to bring?

Do chairs for the MUTS fill up quickly? If so, how early in advance of the movie showtime should we arrive to get chairs?

We will be using our iPhones to take photos? Does the humidity present a problem with the phones? Anything we can/should do to reduce that problem or properly care for the phones?

If we lose our cruise card, do we just go to the customer service desk and they'll provide us with a replacement card?

My wife and I will be in a full suite on the Coral in April on a 15-day Panama Canal cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles.

During evenings while at sea, can one comfortably enjoy the Ultimate Balcony Dining, or does it often get too breezy?

We have done many UBD's and have not had to move inside due to weather.We try and do it as we leave port.

Do the full suites provide Kleenex like a hotel on land, or do we need to bring?

Yes they are supplied in a dispenser in the bathroom.

Do chairs for the MUTS fill up quickly? If so, how early in advance of the movie showtime should we arrive to get chairs?

It can......If there is a movie we want to watch we try to get out a little earlier to get good location loungers.

We will be using our iPhones to take photos? Does the humidity present a problem with the phones?

Any electronic equip like camera's phones etc...... we will try and leave on a table on the balcony for a few minutes until they equalize in temp. Yes the moisture can be an issue. It certainly is not good especially in that humid climate. My phone is in an Otterbox case so I don't have that issue.

Anything we can/should do to reduce that problem or properly care for the phones?

If we lose our cruise card, do we just go to the customer service desk and they'll provide us with a replacement card?

Yes.

See above.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

As we were on the bus to the cruise terminal (TA bussed us for free from Sacramento to SF and handled all the luggage free as well) I turned to my wife and said, "Did you pack the camera?" She just looked at me and said she thought I did that. D'Oh! I don't have an iPhone (shudder...) but I used my Droid for pictures on the 17 day full transit and had zero issues with humidity.

As Keith mentions above, if there is a movie on MUTS that you really want to watch getting a lounger with a good location can mean arriving a bit early. I can recall showing up slightly late and having to use a lounger right by the pool when there was a cold wind blowing and occasional spray from the pool. Not ideal. :rolleyes:

NOTE: You should also check the cushion on the lounger before plopping down and discovering you have just soaked your clothes. Been there, done that.

All cabin types will have a box of facial tissues in the bathroom.

However, it will not be as soft as Kleenex.

Edited by caribill

We will be using our iPhones to take photos? Does the humidity present a problem with the phones? Anything we can/should do to reduce that problem or properly care for the phones?

If you keep your phone in your pocket, like a marsupial, it

will be warm (rather than cold from air conditioning) when

it encounters warm humid air.

For cameras, if they fit, sometimes you can stick them inside

the cabinetry around the 'fridge, which is a nice warm spot.

Or use the hairdryer.

Along with toilet paper, it's marine grade and designed to be compatible with the ship's plumbing and waste management.

And, no. It's industrial grade, the cheapest they can buy, since they go through so much of it. Vacuum toilet systems do not require special toilet paper or facial tissues.

And, no. It's industrial grade, the cheapest they can buy, since they go through so much of it. Vacuum toilet systems do not require special toilet paper or facial tissues.

My understanding, too. It was my understanding that anything "septic tank safe" was fine, since these are expressly engineered with fibers that break down in water -essentially back to pulp- once soaked and agitated a bit. One of my old ex-clients was a TP manufacturer :)

My understanding, too. It was my understanding that anything "septic tank safe" was fine, since these are expressly engineered with fibers that break down in water -essentially back to pulp- once soaked and agitated a bit. One of my old ex-clients was a TP manufacturer :)

Toilet paper and facial tissue use pressed paper fibers, which will break apart after a certain amount of time. As unpleasantly as I've posted on other threads about TP, a vacuum system requires a certain amount of "structural strength" in the "plug" of water and "product" that is moved down the pipe. The TP provides this strength. This strength is required because the pipes do not have any inclination downwards, and many decks have toilets that flush up to the deck above. The problem comes with paper towels and "wipes" that are advertised for their strength, and use woven paper fibers, which will not break down or pass elbows as well.

Yes, not only lost cards, the Passengers Service Desk will also replace those with magnetic strips not working.

Yep, putting a key card in your pocket with your cell phone, or even placing it on top of the TV when it is on can wipe out the magnetic strip.

No. On board you are asked not to flush any paper products other than TP.

While I am a proponent of always following the company's policies, from a technical standpoint, yes, tissues can be flushed.

The tissues provided. Probably not a good idea to flush the super soft, lanolin-infused Kleenex. It's also not a good idea to flush large amounts of TP or tissues at a time.

Higher end tissues may use more woven fiber content, so could be more problematic, or even some plastic fibers to increase strength, though that is more common in towels and wipes. Lanolin is an organic fat, similar to soap, and really would not have any effect on the waste treatment system, and the lotion per se would not have any effect on the vacuum system.

One of my sons is of the "half a roll" wad philosophy, and this might cause problems if the scale removal maintenance of the vacuum piping has not been done properly and the pipes are partially clogged, so yes, if you are of this clan, then multiple flushes are recommended. You do not need to get off the toilet to flush, it will not suck your insides out, it's just difficult to reach the button.

• 1 month later...
Does that mean the Kleenex can be flushed down the toilet?

I've always followed the instructions.........nothing but TP. We're all connected on the ship, so one cabin's clog can make for a miserable day for the neighbors.

On our last cruise (Caribbean Princess) the facial tissues were left in the cabin, not in the bathroom. We were told that too many people were flushing them, resulting in "toilet stoppage's" :(. We've always been told that if you didn't eat or drink it earlier, or it's not TP, don't flush it :eek:!