Cadiz what to do for one day

RJB

When we were there, we just walked round the walls of the peninsula. On this map https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@36.5322668,-6.2987112,1532m/data=!3m1!1e3 we just walked NE from the ship across the park with the monument and got to the sea wall near the Balandro restaurant and just walked the whole way round, stopping to go in Santa Catalina fort and walked half way along the causeway to the Maritime Museum (it was very hot!!). Carried on to the cathedral, then cut north into the cathedral square, had an ice cream, and then back to the ship. I think it took about 4 hours altogether.

Simon

I would recommend a visit to the white villages. Arcos de la Frontera. From Cadiz you could take a local taxi with capacity for six passengers, trust and with 20 years of experience. And to return to Cadiz to visit a sherry bodega in Jerez de la Frontera. I understand that in 4 hours in my city you have time to do it, even eat the typical tapas of the area.I would recommend a visit to the white villages. Arcos de la Frontera. From Cadiz you could take a local taxi with capacity for six passengers, trust and with 20 years of experience. And to return to Cadiz to visit a sherry cellar in Jerez de la Frontera. I understand that in 10 hours in my city you have time to do it, even eat the typical tapas of the area. All would be to agree and we would study it. Regards.

I would recommend a visit to the white villages. Arcos de la Frontera. From Cadiz you could take a local taxi with capacity for six passengers, trust and with 20 years of experience. And to return to Cadiz to visit a sherry bodega in Jerez de la Frontera. I understand that in 4 hours in my city you have time to do it, even eat the typical tapas of the area.I would recommend a visit to the white villages. Arcos de la Frontera. From Cadiz you could take a local taxi with capacity for six passengers, trust and with 20 years of experience. And to return to Cadiz to visit a sherry cellar in Jerez de la Frontera. I understand that in 10 hours in my city you have time to do it, even eat the typical tapas of the area. All would be to agree and we would study it. Regards.

Thank you. We will look at these things and probably do some of them. :(:(:(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I enjoy spending time at the local market when in Cadiz.

The walking tours have had colored footprints along the routes in the center of Cadiz and they each have several attractions along the routes.

http://www.cadizturismo.com/media/publications/pdf/Plano_Cadiz_espanol-ingles_.pdf

Yes, we enjoyed our walking tour of Cadiz. Picked up the local tourist office map and followed the route marked on the ground. I believe it was a purple line! Took us very nicely around the main sights of the city. No need for a guided tour here.

• 1 month later...

Obviously lots of differing opinions! With only one day I would stay in town ... there is lots to see and it's easy to get around.

On one trip we had a private tour to Jerez where we visited the Spanish Riding School, Clock Museum (back then it was private tours only and you needed a group of 8 or so) and a vineyard. A delightful day.

But you CAN do Cadiz on your own, whether on foot or by bus.

On our first visit in 1999 the Cathedral visit was free. On our last visits it was NOT. But it's worth seeing.

There are also self-guided walking tours one can do.

A charming town.

Mura

We've been there and done the tours, so the last time (in November) we walked to the Cathedral square and took the audio tour of the Cathedral. It was amazing. We spent a lot of time in there, enjoying the cool, quiet atmosphere, and even went down to the crypt. After we finished the tour (which we took at our leisure), we walked across the square for lunch and a drink before wandering through the shops and heading back to the ship. We love Cadiz and can't wait to see it again.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Obviously lots of differing opinions! With only one day I would stay in town ... there is lots to see and it's easy to get around.

+1 We disembarked before sunrise...it was dark...but we wandered the streets, watched the sun come up....found so much to see......had to rush to get back to the ship before departure.

There is plenty to keep you occupied for one day in Cadiz. In front of the cruise terminal, just across the road is a tourist office.

The central market is worth a visit. You can go into the cathedral. Walk around the old streets, the re are some good tapas bars and restaurants.

You could take the ferry across to Puerta de Santa Maria or go into Jerez.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

CrossBluePerchance -love this tip. Thanks for sharing.

Weluv2cruise- if the rules of the forum allow it (still figuring it out) were you happy with Pancho tours? We were looking into that tour and/or also a bicycle tour. Any help appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Weluv2cruise- if the rules of the forum allow it (still figuring it out) were you happy with Pancho tours? We were looking into that tour and/or also a bicycle tour. Any help appreciated.

Just a caution about Pancho Tours. We booked a private walking tour with Pancho Tours earlier this month and were required to pay in full. Unfortunately, our ship missed the port due to a bad storm in the Mediterranean. We notified Pancho Tours immediately but they said their refund policy didn't allow refunds with the short notice (almost 48 hours).

This is a case of buyer beware as we were more familiar with companies that recognize that there can be last minute changes with cruise ships that are unavoidable.

I don't know if the tour would have been good so can't comment on that aspect. I had looked at reviews on Trip Advisor and Cruise Critic but didn't see any comments on the refund policy so thought it was important to share this information.

Just a caution about Pancho Tours. We booked a private walking tour with Pancho Tours earlier this month and were required to pay in full. Unfortunately, our ship missed the port due to a bad storm in the Mediterranean. We notified Pancho Tours immediately but they said their refund policy didn't allow refunds with the short notice (almost 48 hours).

This is a case of buyer beware as we were more familiar with companies that recognize that there can be last minute changes with cruise ships that are unavoidable.

I don't know if the tour would have been good so can't comment on that aspect. I had looked at reviews on Trip Advisor and Cruise Critic but didn't see any comments on the refund policy so thought it was important to share this information.

We had a similar thing happen with a tour we booked with Carina Express. We feel it is the industry standard to refund in the event the ship is unable to dock, so we would recommend NOT using Carina Express. Their email is info@europeancoachtours.com. Do not use this company!

Along these lines, last month we had a last minute port cancellation due to flooding in Greece. We'd pre-paid for a private tour with Tours by Locals in Gythion and could only cancel on that morning when the captain decided it wasn't safe to tender. I had my refund the next day.

Word to the wise: read refund policies carefully! My experience has been that these companies usually refund payments under these circumstances. Obviously there are some that do not!

Mura

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting comments. Personally I didn't think there should be an obligation to refund money for a personally organised tour when the cruise ship cancelled a port due to "whatever"! But that happened to us on a Silversea cruise up the Vietnam coast where we had to cancel a port due to high winds. The darling tour company owner quickly refunded our money when we cancelled. We ached for those guides/drivers who were without income that day.

Frankly we would have been happy to compensate them. They missed out on income and a tip too. (That is a lot of income for people living in low paying countries) But have to say the charming Vietnamese tour company manager was so forthcoming. I would highly recommend them for folks next time. Hope it is like this in Spain etc on our upcoming cruise - Silversea Barcelona - Lisbon.

Córdoba is too far for a day visit from Cadiz. It's about an hour and a half from Seville, but Cadiz is about the same distance again from Seville.

There is lots to see in Córdoba, so needs a full day for a worthwhile visit.

Do a land trip to Andalucia and split your stay between Granada. Loads to see to occupy a week, but longer if possible.

Sent from my iPad using Forums