Travel first class one way

oneeyedguy

Hi everyone, taking the family next summer for a cruise out of Rome. I have enough airline points to fly first class one way. I would like to know if it's better to fly first class going to Europe or leaving from Europe back to the states. We would be flying out of Boston. I believe most flights are evening flights going to Europe. Not sure about the return.

Flights to Europe tend to be overnight from the East Coast.

Return flights are day flights most of the time, at least if you are looking for a nonstop from Europe to US. Departures range from really earning morning to mid-day.

If it were me, I'd want the first class seats for the flight over because sleeping in coach is NOT fun, and you're likely to arrive more rested for your adventure.

On the flight back, the in-flight entertainment even in coach makes it more bearable. Or...you'll be so exhausted that you'll sleep no matter what.

We have had this same scenario several times. We have always chosen to fly first class on the return flight. Three reasons.........1. We don't want to sleep thru the "treat" of first class........2. We prefer to continue the pampered service from cruise to plane.......3. An international coach flight would be a TERRIBLE end to a wonderful Med cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Interesting, I hadn't thought of why it would be nice on the return. I immediately think like the first posters, I want the more comfortable seat to increase the chances of getting some sleep.

Frankly, first class isn't as nice as it used to be, they've cut costs there too so after considering the reasons given for wanting it on the return, I don't think the little they offer (slightly better food and free booze, for the most part) offsets the value of some sleep.

We have had this same scenario several times. We have always chosen to fly first class on the return flight. Three reasons.........1. We don't want to sleep thru the "treat" of first class........2. We prefer to continue the pampered service from cruise to plane.......3. An international coach flight would be a TERRIBLE end to a wonderful Med cruise.

100 % agree for all 3 reasons.

I vote for first class TO Europe. You will arrive first thing in their morning and have to stay awake at least until time to check into a hotel. A little sleep will go a long way to helping you do this. On the way home you will start your flight earlier and gain 6 ( for me) hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Two questions. First, is it truly first class in a 3 class plane, or the front of the plane in a 2 class plane.

Second, I wonder how many of those responding here have actually flown international First class. I have, both to Europe, and to Australia. Both ways. Not trying to brag, just giving some background to my comments and questions.

I would definately first class there. 1. Sleeping in coach is terrible. Unless you are one of those people who can sleep anywhere, you'll get much more sleep in first class which will make a better start to your vacation.

2. For me, my vacation is over the morning I wake up to go back home. Getting to the destination is exciting and all about expectation. Getting home is a chore you have to endure to return to normal life. 100% I would prefer to be pampered on the way there. On the way home I'm just focused on what all I need to do when I get home. I wouldn't enjoy the pampering anywhere near as much.

And yes, I've flown first class to Europe and Australia also. Have done first class both ways and just one way. We did it one way going over and would do it that way again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with everyone who said fly first class from the USA to Europe if you can only do it one way.

We have done this before.

Why?

Because going we want to get some sleep to force ourselves onto European time.

You will be fed on the flight and can watch a movie and then get some sleep and it will be much nicer to be in a first class accommodation.

On the way home even though by the time you get hime it will be early morning the following day from the day you left on European time in the USA it will be evening on the day you left. I believe in staying awake on that flight so you can get back to East Coast USA time so sleeping is not necessary nor is the comfort of the first class.

Now if you can do both ways first class all the better but if you cannot I would go with it on the flight to Europe.

Like most things in life and on the CC boards you will not get consensus so in the end think it through and do what you will think makes the most sense for you.

Keith

Another vote for first class from the US to Europe. You will arrive more relaxed and can enjoy your day instead of being too tired.

Have you thought about of changing one first class flight plus Coach to a Business Class round trip?

I either fly business or 1st or I don't fly. I will not put up with the idiotic nonsense of coach passengers. Life is too short. Plus I love the pods.

Not always an option for my family of 6. ;)

Another vote for the upgrade TO Europe - I'm a disaster without decent sleep, and the lay-flat pods make sleep possible for me on those overnight, arrive at 7:30am flights. I try not to sleep on the way home, so I can crash once I'm in my own bed.

I understand about wanting to be awake to enjoy business class. This last trip I began think I'd just paid for the world's smallest, most expensive hotel room. LOL But I got to Amsterdam feeling better than if I'd done it via coach.

I either fly business or 1st or I don't fly. I will not put up with the idiotic nonsense of coach passengers. Life is too short. Plus I love the pods.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

Hmmmm..... I think I can stand 9-10 hours of relative discomfort in Coach in order to spend 2-3 wonderful weeks in Europe. What would I be doing at home that could possibly compete with that? And if I flew First class, I could take fewer trips or stay fewer days. No thanks.

(To answer CruiserBruce's question, I don't fly First on my own dime, but I do when I travel for business. In fact, I'm headed to France in a couple of weeks; flying First class. I've also been upgraded a couple of times. That's nice when it happens...:D)

I will only fly first class. I have 3 international flights booked for next year already. If I could only fly first class 1 way it would be going to Europe. I would much rather have a nice dinner and then sleep to try and adjust to the new time zone. It doesn't matter as much on the way home.

• 2 weeks later...
I will only fly first class. I have 3 international flights booked for next year already. If I could only fly first class 1 way it would be going to Europe. I would much rather have a nice dinner and then sleep to try and adjust to the new time zone. It doesn't matter as much on the way home.

I agree 100%

Just returned from a Mediterranean cruise and flew first class going there and Comfort Class on Delta for the return. This has been our choice a number of times to maximize cost and effectiveness.

Another "front of the bus" person here. When I can afford it, I will always book Business (whatever an airline calls it - DeltaOne, Magnifica, Affaires) for the flight East to Europe. I haven't done any of the true First Class flights where there is First, Business, Premium Economy, Economy. When I've flown, the Business class IS the front class. Business is more than enough: lay-flat "beds", individual pods, good food and wine, fast track through security, priority boarding... I've done business both ways and I honestly can't say I got shortchanged on the experience either way. I didn't really see "more" of business on the way back from Europe - I only watched more movies. The meal service Eastbound is done early so passengers have the chance to sleep awhile. If you don't want to sleep, the flight attendants are at your beck and call for drinks and, many times, snacks.

• 4 weeks later...

Usually will use points to fly one way or the other in business/first. Have preferred to use the lay flat seats going over to Europe.. arrive rested and ready to go. Always find something to do/read/watch on the return. Would vote for the way across the pond!!

Going over IMHO- a nice start to your vacation. Be aware there are great BC seating arrangements and some marginal (like UA 777 2-4-2 business class seating). You also may be faced with booking 1 stop flights vs non stop as availability with points (particularly using value points category) may be very limited. Some of the point offerings I saw on AA an UA were ridiculous with long layovers and flights from different airports. The British Airways point flights stick you with a large carrier fee

We just booked a bc to Italy with points and while I have adequate points for return from Venice I may just opt for economy if I can get a non stop vs one stop business class. Usually for us coming home is a simple matter of flying the fastest and most direct route. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

If flying from the US, I recommend flying bc to Europe. The flights are usually in the evening and there is at least the possibility of sleeping. When given the choice, that is what we do. As others have said, it has been more difficult to use points for a nonstop business class ticket. We actually just booked economy on AA and upgraded to main cabin extra. I prefer this to having a stopover especially when I ‘m overtired.

We agree (and its our practice) with flying business or first class to Europe and either economy or economy plus on the return. Our reasoning (and experience) is similar to others. Most flights from the USA are overnight and the issue becomes the ability to get a few hours of sleep. I cannot sleep in coach :(. A lay flat seat (business or first) means we can catch a few hours of decent sleep. When we get to Europe, those few hours are enough to get us through the day while having fun. If one does not get any sleep, you will generally find that by early afternoon (in Europe) you will hit a wall....and really feel awful. We used to take a mid-afternoon nap (after flying over coach) assuming that we could get checked-in (not always possible). But this wasted the better part of the day. So we now figure the extra cost (or miles) for business or first is the price to fully enjoy that entire first day.

As to the return (west bound) flight, it is usually mid to late morniing after we have had a good night's sleep. On the return flight its simply a matter of reading, watching videos, etc. I can do this in coach. Although the best case scenario is round trip business/first...this is not always reasonable.

Hank

Agree trip home is less a priority for BC or FC. That said a premium flight is a nice perk on return if there is limited time at airport for departure.

Basically though, after a wonderful vacation most people just want to get home in the fastest fashion.

I have been searching for returns from Venice in October using points for BC and will probably just book a non stop in coach vs fooling around with connections that add hours to our return.