Favorite drink at the Alchemy bar?!

Rissa041115

So the Alchemy Bar is a mixology bar. Mixologists use different alcohols and bases to create delicious drinks. They can custom make drinks to your liking. You’ll have to look it up on google to get more info, I’m not sure how to explain it better. My brother is a mixologist in San Francisco. I’m excited to try out this bar to see more of what my brother has a passion for!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nothing I've ordered off the actual Alchemy Bar menu has been very memorable. Enjoyable at the time, but nothing amazing that I ordered more than once. DH and I were actually mildly chastised for ordering off the menu by another couple at the bar... they insisted that "The Alchemy Bar isn't a place where you order off the menu; you're just supposed to tell the bartenders what you want your drink to taste like." I recall the woman asking the bartender to make her "something that tastes like a chocolate-covered cherry." Most people were ordering in that way, so I guess it really is more about the custom-made drinks.

So the Alchemy Bar is a mixology bar. Mixologists use different alcohols and bases to create delicious drinks. They can custom make drinks to your liking. You’ll have to look it up on google to get more info, I’m not sure how to explain it better. My brother is a mixologist in San Francisco. I’m excited to try out this bar to see more of what my brother has a passion for!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for sharing good to know.

Tony

I order a spicy strawberry basil concoction (not on menu).. also like a Samoa cookie (caramel, toasted coconut and chocolate martini tastes like the Girl Scout Samoa cookie) .. and he make a key lime dream which tasted like an alcoholic version of the famous pie).

Nothing I've ordered off the actual Alchemy Bar menu has been very memorable. Enjoyable at the time, but nothing amazing that I ordered more than once. DH and I were actually mildly chastised for ordering off the menu by another couple at the bar... they insisted that "The Alchemy Bar isn't a place where you order off the menu; you're just supposed to tell the bartenders what you want your drink to taste like." I recall the woman asking the bartender to make her "something that tastes like a chocolate-covered cherry." Most people were ordering in that way, so I guess it really is more about the custom-made drinks.

The menu is only the starting point. Nothing wrong with those. Order off menu can be interesting. Tell them what you like, if they have the ingredients they’ll make it for you. Which liquor, mixer, fruit, sweet, sour, or balanced. I like Absinthe Drop and almost any Lavender Gin concoction.

One Journeys cruise they didn’t get restocked. By the 14th night the drinks were extremely creative.

The Caribbean Manhattan and the Fiery Tropical Passion Martini are the most memorable on-the-menu drinks I've had at Alchemy. The first time I cruised on the Vista, Alchemy Bar had Marko, who was a magician. He never made me anything from the menu, but I was always very happy with what he made!

The Sidecar is my favorite. I ask for no sugar on the glass. Also the Cucumber Sunrise is very good. If you've never had "agua de pepino" which is a Mexican drink like lemonade but made from cucumbers....well you're missing out a good thing. The Cucumber Sunrise is like an alcoholic version.

Edited by Chief93
Typo

I asked Katrina for something with bourbon. Wow! I keep coming back to that. But she wouldn't give up the recipe. Guess I need to cruise the Sunshine again. My wife found the chocolate and tiramisu martini was her go to. Put a dent in the Cheers program at the Alchemy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Edited by matthewthamm
Correct a spelling error.

Alchemy is really about personal taste. My DH really likes the Remedy and Martini Seduction - but prefers them to craft a similar drink with Rum as the base alcohol. If he wants something richer, he enjoys the Perfect Storm. My personal favorites are the Cucumber Sunrise - especially early in the afternoon because it is so light and refreshing (you see a LOT of these ordered). I have also enjoyed 40 is the New 20, Youthful and Bold, Spicy Chipotle Pineapple.

So, if you look at ingredients, DH gravitates to Rum drinks and I to the vodka. But in reality, my favorite is to have them craft something with Gin, Elderflower, lavender, vanilla etc...as there aren't really any gin drinks on the menu.

If you become a regular at the bar, you can kinda drink your way through (we have pretty much tried them all but the Absente (hate it)) the menu if you are not sure what you like. Then when you and they learn what you like, the mixologists actually prefer to craft personal drinks - it makes it more fun for them. And the personal drinks are the best.

DH and I were actually mildly chastised for ordering off the menu by another couple at the bar... they insisted that "The Alchemy Bar isn't a place where you order off the menu; you're just supposed to tell the bartenders what you want your drink to taste like.

That's ridiculous if that's how the bartenders treated you. I'm fairly knowledgeable about cocktails and know what I want when I go to a bar. I definitely don't need to order with the "make something that tastes like" format.

That's ridiculous if that's how the bartenders treated you. I'm fairly knowledgeable about cocktails and know what I want when I go to a bar. I definitely don't need to order with the "make something that tastes like" format.

They didn't say the bartenders treated them that way, just that another couple chastised them for ordering from the menu.

I've always found the bartenders at the Alchemy to be super accommodating to however you order. Only time they have said no is when someone comes up wanting a soda or a frozen drink. They don't do those there.

I like the deal closer. Hubby always has them make up something - just tells them the type of drink he likes & they come up with something.

I also tell them what I like and they just come up with something. Last time I told her I like Pineapple and Vodka, not sure what it was but it was yummy!

Can you get drinks off of the standard Alchemy menu at other bars? We are sailing on the Paradise next year which doesn't have an Alchemy bar. Wondering if we can order these drinks on that ship?