Luggage Destroyed Upon Disembarkation

lvz2cruz

We had a wonderful cruise on the Eurodam.

However, when we claimed our bags in the disembarkation hall afterwards, one of our suitcases was very damaged to the point we cannot use it any more. It was fine when we put it out the night before. One side is ripped apart at the seams from the handle to around the corner while the other side looks fine, so it is obvious it is not a just wear issue. The frame is also very bent. Thankfully we were driving because I could not have checked it onto a flight.

There were no HAL employees in the area--only port officials--so I emailed HAL on Sunday. I received the auto response that they would get back in time yet I have not heard from them.

Is there anything I should do besides wait?

Has anyone experienced this?

Sorry to hear this. I had a suitcase damaged last year on the Oosterdam. One of the spinner wheels was broken off when it arrived in my cabin.

HAL was unable to repair the damage and replaced the suitcase.

I did have HAL insurance which includes baggage damage.

If you had insurance, you may want to check into this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

However, when we claimed our bags in the disembarkation hall afterwards, one of our suitcases was very damaged to the point we cannot use it any more. It was fine when we put it out the night before. One side is ripped apart at the seams from the handle to around the corner while the other side looks fine, so it is obvious it is not a just wear issue. The frame is also very bent. Thankfully we were driving because I could not have checked it onto a flight.

There were no HAL employees in the area--only port officials--so I emailed HAL on Sunday. I received the auto response that they would get back in time yet I have not heard from them.

Take pictures of the damaged suitcase & send another e-mail with pictures if you don't hear from them within 10 days..

Follow Serenpidity's advice; it's sound! Good luck!

The way it goes on the night prior to disembarkation; Housekeeping Staff will pick up the luggage placed by the passenger in the corridor. They use hand trolleys and take the luggage via elevators down to the ship's Marshaling Area where other HK staff places/stacks the luggage in metal luggage bins by "color" and "number" (which corresponds to the color and number tags the pax was issued.)

Once the ship arrives in the disembarkation port, a number of longshoremen will come onboard who will move the full luggage bins with the aid of (ship's) forklifts via the large Marshaling Area doors to the dock outside.

Other longshoremen, using their own forklifts, will move the luggage bins to inside the terminal building where yet other longshoremen will stack them, again by color, for the pax to claim them. Ship staff is not allowed to move the luggage bins off the ship themselves

Which port did this happen in?

Also agree about the photos. Read your cruise contract which will talk about damaged luggage and follow what they say, and also check with your travel insurance company.

HAL has replaced pieces of my luggage on more than 1 occasion after submitting a notice and what they asked for for documentation so you should get this settled.

Check here for additional information: http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Cruise+Preparation&contentMenu=Baggage,+Packing+%26+Dress+Code&WT.ac=PopTop_Luggage

I had a piece of luggage very badly damaged at disembarkation. We had only used this suitcase about 4 times -- twice to Ft Lauderdale and almost twice to home.

We were told not to leave the terminal until a claim was filed. We did find a HAL rep. I took pictures of the suitcase. The HAL rep filled out the form.

Once we got to the hotel, DH had to go buy another suitcase. It could not be used for flying either.

Once home I printed out the pictures and sent a copy of the form and the pictures. Within a week we heard from HAL and they paid the cost for the new suitcase we had to buy.

I did have HAL insurance which includes baggage damage.

I never understood having insurance cover luggage until I started experiencing airlines destroying luggage, filing claims, and being told that "luggage is intended to protect its contents" and therefore they would not cover the damage to the luggage but rather only to the contents. Grrrr Edited by bUU

My suitcase was badly damaged last cruise also. The blade from the big machine that picks them up obviously went through the entire bag. From the top sideways all the way through. It had to be the blade as the slice is very thin and wide and goes through the entire bag.

I never even thought to put in a claim since I didn't know if HAL or the airline did the damage. I just put duct tape around the corners to get home then threw it out when I got home.

I figured I got a lot of wear out of it and have three other matching bags at home. LOL

My suitcase was badly damaged last cruise also. The blade from the big machine that picks them up obviously went through the entire bag. From the top sideways all the way through. It had to be the blade as the slice is very thin and wide and goes through the entire bag.

I never even thought to put in a claim since I didn't know if HAL or the airline did the damage. I just put duct tape around the corners to get home then threw it out when I got home.

I figured I got a lot of wear out of it and have three other matching bags at home. LOL

This is one of the best reasons for bringing along duct tape that I have read! It will go on my list.

Holland America is very good about reimbursing for damaged luggage (repair or replacement). The only catch is that you are responsible for reporting it as soon as you are aware.

Airlines do not cover damage to anything outside of the case.....wheels, extendable handles, or zippers. HAL does, and promptly.

David

It seems from the comments that luggage damage occurs more frequently with disembarkation rather than embarkation. I might wheel my luggage off the ship myself in the future.

igraf

Holland America is very good about reimbursing for damaged luggage (repair or replacement). The only catch is that you are responsible for reporting it as soon as you are aware.

Airlines do not cover damage to anything outside of the case.....wheels, extendable handles, or zippers. HAL does, and promptly.

David

I have had two bags with external damage replaced by different airlines. YMMV.

David

Out of oh so many cruises, only once was a suit case damaged on embarkation or debark.

When the bag was deliveredtto our cabin after embarkation, it was torn so badly, there was no way it could be used to get our tthings home. I asked the conciege if perhaps the upholsteer could stitch for us to get home. He did such an amazingly good job, it not only got home safely but I used it one more time)I never formally reported the damaage tro HAL. Wasn't that big adeal to me seeeing it was handlled as well as could be hoped for while w e were aboard.

I agree take pictures..... my luggage gets the most abuse when I'm cruising. I no longer use spinner wheels luggage. I see out the recessed two wheel luggage.

The spinner type wheels and cruise ship luggage bins do not get along very well with each other. Very easy for the wheels to get caught on the side of the bin and then broken when other luggage is piled on.