Reflecting on our first Azamara Cruise

alanbab

My wife and I were on Azamara Journey in September. It was our first cruise with Azamara (having been cruising for 25 years) and we absolutely loved it. We had no complaints whatsoever, super food and the included wines were fine for us. I have just read a review on Journey which states that the ship is tired!!!! This is a ridiculous sweeping statement to make as overall the ship is extremely well maintained, very elegant, classy and refined. I am however sure that if you want to find something tired, just as on any ship, you will do so.

The only thing that we found to be tired was some of the dress worn by some passengers which was quite shabby and certainly not suitable for the fine dining Discoveries Restaurant. On the hot topic of Jeans – stylish, neat jeans (that can translate as smart jeans) are fine and when paired up with a collared shirt and jacket, gentlemen you will look far better dressed than some of the fashion disasters which we witnessed on Journey. A very cheeky comedian in the cabaret lounge had also noted some of the shabbily dressed guests when he asked a guy in the audience “couldn’t you afford any new clothes then?”

Enjoy your cruises with Azamara everyone and don’t forget to get “dressed up” especially if you attend a show with a cheeky comedian – he was very funny though.

Nearly forgot we have just booked ourselves on Pursuit and our UK agent said that they were very busy with bookings!

My wife and I were on Azamara Journey in September. It was our first cruise with Azamara (having been cruising for 25 years) and we absolutely loved it. We had no complaints whatsoever, super food and the included wines were fine for us. I have just read a review on Journey which states that the ship is tired!!!! This is a ridiculous sweeping statement to make as overall the ship is extremely well maintained, very elegant, classy and refined. I am however sure that if you want to find something tired, just as on any ship, you will do so.

The only thing that we found to be tired was some of the dress worn by some passengers which was quite shabby and certainly not suitable for the fine dining Discoveries Restaurant. On the hot topic of Jeans – stylish, neat jeans (that can translate as smart jeans) are fine and when paired up with a collared shirt and jacket, gentlemen you will look far better dressed than some of the fashion disasters which we witnessed on Journey. A very cheeky comedian in the cabaret lounge had also noted some of the shabbily dressed guests when he asked a guy in the audience “couldn’t you afford any new clothes then?”

Enjoy your cruises with Azamara everyone and don’t forget to get “dressed up” especially if you attend a show with a cheeky comedian – he was very funny though.

Nearly forgot we have just booked ourselves on Pursuit and our UK agent said that they were very busy with bookings!

I agree with you about the clothes but many will not.

We have seen a decline in standard of dress in recent years.

We had better standbye the flames are on the way.

Edited by Bloodaxe

We were on the cruise and think the original poster is spot on with their comments and observations. We just cracked up at Jeff the comedian when he picked on that guest.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with you about the clothes but many will not.

We have seen a decline in standard of dress in recent years.

We had better standbye the flames are on the way.

Some people at night look like they went to a market. Mowed their lawn or rolled out of bed. I wish shorts and jeans were not allowed after 6 or 7 if at sea, not sure about port days, we sail late I come back in shorts. But I will not go to a show dressed in shorts.

Wish we go back to some type of dress code,

Thank you alanbab for reporting here that you loved your first cruise with us! I hope you'll come back soon.

Got to agree, "Country Club Casual" does not translate into dressing like a slob for dinner, and Azamara used to police that better but gently a few years ago, perhaps time to return to that way and preserve the lovely overall ambiance of the ships in the evenings. There are plenty of cruising options for T-shirts, ball caps and jeans, please do not let Azamara become one of them. Very few travel with dinner suits nowadays, but most like to dress in a clean and tidy manner on board after the sun has gone down.

I wish they would go back to the no jeans policy in the dining room at dinner time.

I think the problem arises with the interpretation of the policy. Not all jeans are created equal. Nor are the jeans wearers. It also depends on the whole ensemble, as the OP noted.

When my husband wears jeans, they never look smart because he buys them too baggy. However, my sons wear expensive, well fitting dark jeans, with leather dress shoes, crisp collared shirts and maybe a blazer or sweater. And they look very sharp in my opinion. They are dressed appropriately for all but the most formal restaurants these days, and I live in a major metropolitan area.

I think the baggage restrictions on airlines has impacted the variety of clothing people pack these days. So choose wisely what you decide to bring and what is best left at home.

I am glad you enjoyed your cruise and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Well, since this has turned into a dress code thread. When I first sailed on AZ people dressed better than today. The dress code gone downhill on the ship. I do not know if this is MIA, the HD on ship or the MDR managers and speciality restaurants manager. I do notice many men bring sport jackets or a suit for Prime C or the BOB dinners. Others are in shorts.

I go on other lines that have one after six and we should too.

I think the problem arises with the interpretation of the policy. Not all jeans are created equal. Nor are the jeans wearers. It also depends on the whole ensemble, as the OP noted.

When my husband wears jeans, they never look smart because he buys them too baggy. However, my sons wear expensive, well fitting dark jeans, with leather dress shoes, crisp collared shirts and maybe a blazer or sweater. And they look very sharp in my opinion. They are dressed appropriately for all but the most formal restaurants these days, and I live in a major metropolitan area.

I think the baggage restrictions on airlines has impacted the variety of clothing people pack these days. So choose wisely what you decide to bring and what is best left at home.

I am glad you enjoyed your cruise and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I agree with you 200%. I have two pair of the ripped jeans, one is a Capri length and the other is ankle length. They are designer jeans both of which I paid close to $200 for each pair. They are now the IN thing. I decided to get with the program and purchased them and dress them up as you say. I might be a little older however I do like to dress as much in style as I can when possible. I fully intend to bring them and wear them on my cruise.

Kathy

Kathy,

I returned from a lovely cruise on Journey yesterday. There were one or two very minor issues which were sorted quickly and easily without fuss.

We met some great people and made some new friends. Your fellow passengers will not be the type of people looking for an argument. They will just want to have a great cruise and hope that you are similarly enjoying yours.

I realise that you have not sailed with Azamara yet but hope on your return from your cruise you will appreciate that most guests are too laid back to stress about the minutiae of other guests' clothing choices though like the fact that the majority respect the dress code.

Enjoy your cruise whenever it is

Thank you for your kind words. You are always a nice person. People that worry so much about what another person wears in my opinion need to get a life. I could care less what someone does or wears as long as they are not physically harming anyone.

Kathy

Currently on the Quest and for tonight’s Azamazing Evening in Livorno (three tenors at the Goldoni theatre) we love the saying on the invite “smart casual, however we encourage you to dress up for this beautiful performance” which we are happy to oblige.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums