Embarkation process

dsherennethmek

Our family of 5 will be taking a 15 day Hawaiian cruise with Princess Emerald. Will be flying the day of the cruise. I have read somewhere that it is a progressive embarkation. Based on the deck we are on (EMERALD) it looks like ours is not till 1400. We will get there earlier since we are taking an earlier flight (in case of delays). Is there a place to stay at the port while waiting for our turn?

Our family of 5 will be taking a 15 day Hawaiian cruise with Princess Emerald. Will be flying the day of the cruise. I have read somewhere that it is a progressive embarkation. Based on the deck we are on (EMERALD) it looks like ours is not till 1400. We will get there earlier since we are taking an earlier flight (in case of delays). Is there a place to stay at the port while waiting for our turn?

Same day arrival? REALLY BAD IDEA.

I don't care what cruise line you're sailing on and what airline you're flying on, if you're flying the day of your cruise, you need 2 things....

1. Really good travel insurance.

2. Plans on things you can do in the port city because there's a chance you'll be standing on the beach waving to your ship as it sails off in the distance.

What some infrequent fliers don't understand is that: gone are the days of "next flight out" having available seats. The occasionally available seats on a "next flight(s)," when you miss a connection or need an alternate routing, go to loyal FFs. For many, the "next flight" may be two days from now.

OK, nuff of the bad guys. When you arrive at the pier, you will check in and sit in an area with a lot of other folks who have arrived early. That time is not mandated, it just is there to let you know that you might not be able to board the ship as soon as you arrive. Be prepared to read or chat with others who will be your shipmates for the next two weeks.

You did not indicate how long your flight is and other things. How were you transferring from the airport to the pier? Princess transfers are nice and easy, but severely overpriced. Make arrangements for a shuttle service to move you to the pier. Once you get to the pier it is sooooo easy.

Enjoy your cruise. Have you posted on your roll call?

OK, nuff of the bad guys....

Well, with all due respect, OP is flying in January and same-day arrival is a questionable decision at best. Yes, there are many members here who have safely and easily flown in same-day, made the cruise, and wondered why we were ever even the slightest bit worried. Then there are others, like myself, who have missed check-in for a flight by 5 minutes and were denied boarding the plane. Thankfully, that was the day before. If it had been same-day, we would have missed the ship.

People advocate strongly for flying in a day or two before the cruise. Of course it will cost more - hotel, possible rental car, meals, etc. - but it's better than missing embarkation and possibly or NOT possibly having to catch up at the next port. In OP's case, the next port is Honolulu, Hawaii.

OP dsherennethmek, I can't urge you strongly enough to change this flight. Please.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

What some infrequent fliers don't understand is that: gone are the days of "next flight out" having available seats. The occasionally available seats on a "next flight(s)," when you miss a connection or need an alternate routing, go to loyal FFs. For many, the "next flight" may be two days from now.

Especially when there are 5 people as in this case!

Well, with all due respect, OP is flying in January and same-day arrival is a questionable decision at best. Yes, there are many members here who have safely and easily flown in same-day, made the cruise, and wondered why we were ever even the slightest bit worried. Then there are others, like myself, who have missed check-in for a flight by 5 minutes and were denied boarding the plane. Thankfully, that was the day before. If it had been same-day, we would have missed the ship.

People advocate strongly for flying in a day or two before the cruise. Of course it will cost more - hotel, possible rental car, meals, etc. - but it's better than missing embarkation and possibly or NOT possibly having to catch up at the next port. In OP's case, the next port is Honolulu, Hawaii.

OP dsherennethmek, I can't urge you strongly enough to change this flight. Please.

Not to mention they may be flying out of Texas where it's 80 degrees (I really don't know how hot it gets in Texas in the winter) but not realizing the plane that's picking them up is stuck in Boston in 2ft of snow and cannot go anywhere.

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate you all. We change our flight to the day before and will be staying at a nearby hotel in San Pedro port. The flight is only one hour long, if the flight gets cancel and we cannot fly it will give us enough time to drive (about 6 hours). Looking at San Francisco's history of delayed flights, it does get pretty scary...not to mention stupid. Again, thanks for all the input.

Sorry, we do fly often just not thinking straight. This is why I appreciate ur response (however "harsh" it may be). Sometines I manage to make stupid decisions, but this are the days I am grateful someone can point it out.

PEACE!

...We change our flight to the day before and will be staying at a nearby hotel in San Pedro port. The flight is only one hour long, if the flight gets cancel and we cannot fly it will give us enough time to drive (about 6 hours)...

Oh good! That sounds like a good plan. Sounds like a beautiful Hawaiian cruise and we want you to get on the ship! :D

Have a great time and now you can relax a little - well, just packing for 5 people is all!;p

Yep.

I was visited a friend in FL. Day of my return, snow in my area. First flight canceled, I got re-booked on a later flight, about 4 hours later.

THAT flight got canceled. I got booked out early the next morning, but I had very high status on that airline (even kept my 1st class upgrade). I talked to a family who was also waiting for the hotel shuttle. They were booked out 3 DAYS later, same airline.