Veendam review: 49 days Oct. 20-Dec. 8, Ft Lauderdale--Mediterrrean--Ft L.

mysticsailor

Because there has been some troubling reports of this ship the past few years I had some concerns but the itinerary was so compelling we went anyhow and were very satisfied. My discussion will focus mostly on the ship experience but will also mention any port experiences that surprised or disappointed. Mainly my port focus was lunch ashore for the regional flavors and ambiance.

First: the elephant in the room: Yes, the retreat that replaced the aft pool is a monstrosity that obstructs the former panoramic views. Said monstrosity is a raised platform containing 4 hot tubs/spas. The few times we dined outside the tubs/spas seemed to be seldom used. Enough said.

Stateroom: We were on the Navigation Deck, Vista Suite 044, port side. This location and deck we always request as the protruded Lido overhang offers almost total blocking of rain on our balcony and on longer cruises we value that.

Our steward was by far the best we have ever had in 12 years of cruising.

The stateroom/bathroom was clean and aesthetically pleasing as always. However almost immediately the ship’s age become evident.

First the A/C was operating full blast only. No amount of adjustments would change the temperature. When we called the front desk they immediately sent our steward and he quickly surmised the issue needed mechanical repair. He gave us an extra blanket and the next morning while enjoying breakfast--A/C repaired. Then a few days later one closet door hinge loosened and the door hung open about 6 inches in the hall passage. Again, prompt repair.

One night during the 4th week when returning from dinner we found the phone ringing and nothing would stop it. The steward came immediately and unplugged it. The next morning after breakfast our phone (replaced?) worked normally. Days later when leaving for breakfast the toilet would not flush. By our return from breakfast it was working perfectly with no further issues. Also that week the balcony door stopped closing completely. Again, promptly repaired.

All of the above issues we consider minor but I just wanted to be totally objective in revealing issues of older ships. I realize some might be horrified at multiple issues but we are both easy going patrons and consider minor problems par for aging ships. After all, there were no toilets falling off the wall or flooding/sewage issues read about in this forum by another cruiser. We did hear that 4 staterooms on our cruise flooded and the occupants relocated.

Public areas: We were pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness and condition. Of course there were areas of wear but nothing like we observed on sister ship Ryndam the year before it was transferred to P&O.

Food: Some areas I saw improvements and others, well, lets just say disappointments. We used the main dining room only for our dinner meals.

Lido Breakfast--was the highlight, tremendous variety and really happy to see that the pancakes are again being made to order. Two thumbs up! Two years ago they were only available on the hot table--dry, hard, horrid.

Lido Lunch--adequate. I thought the soups were vastly improved, even the cream soups were light and tasty. And the salad bar was served and tossed. Much better with less possibility of contamination of many hands from former passenger self service. As a vegetarian I thought the hot vegetable selections sub par; others probably would not agree. The New York Pizza (not so convenient on the outside aft deck) was however a tremendous improvement over the dry tasteless former selection on the inside buffet. Many options and readily customized--delicious.

Desserts, a huge disappointment. Many times one bite and were pushed aside. The hand scoop ice cream was by far the most popular dessert followed by the warm bread pudding always a winner, especially topped with the delicious vanilla sauce.

Main Dining Room--as mentioned out participation was dinner only, early seating. The service was prompt. Our waiters excellent. Food quality was hit and miss. Quality rolls and salads never disappointed. Entrée’s satisfactory with the occasional mediocrity. Desserts, same as Lido--enough said.

We happily discovered that the Cellar Master was Rodel. Almost every night he stopped at our table remembering us from the Maasdam two years prior. He even remembered we dined at the same table. How do they do it! One minor disappointment, our wine steward was new and although attentive lacked experience, multiple times ignoring our request of having back up wine (same wine entire cruise) readily available, thus delaying wine service. Also she never had our wine sent to the Pinnacle as our previous wine steward did on our last cruise. Perhaps this is not the norm? But, I did notice that a new friend who often joined us for dinner, (different wine steward) had his bottle waiting on our table each night.

Canaletto: Enjoyed it as always. We never understand why it is so underutilized. Perhaps the atmosphere. Lets face it, fluorescent lighting is not dinner ambiance. Out of 5 visit’s the most customers we ever saw dining was 8! The Zuppa de pesce is delicious as are the Short ribs. And the Spaghetti Pomodoro equals that in your favorite local Italian restaurant. We always ended our meal with Tiramisu, yummy!

Pinnacle: This was our biggest worry because of the multiple reports of employee surliness reported more than once early this past summer. Good news; new manager Petar has turned it around. Really wonderful gracious servers. Service was good first 3 visits but our 4th, last night of cruise, was tedious. It seemed to be the result of overbooking. Food really good except once when the filet was over cooked and manager Petar promptly replaced with another cooked perfectly. Petar definitely had close tabs on the entire restaurant. Each night he stopped by our table multiple times.

Entertainment: You all know that this is not HAL’s strong point. This cruise was typical, some quite good and others mediocre. One laughable standout: multiple times the ‘featured’ showroom entertainment was the movie already shown all day in the Wajang Theater! I kid you not.

The enrichment speakers presentations were well attended. One was a retired history professor and another a former clergy with a keen interest in military history. I may have gotten those two confused.

Port Experts Jeremy and Misha were excellent, maybe the best I have experienced. I was amazed at the breadth of their knowledge. Jeremy primary works the New England Coast and the Orient cruises.

Ports: We mostly explore on our own having discovered a few years ago that HOHO buses were fun and offered more variety of experiences.

Rhodes--easily within walking distance from the ship. Enter the walled city at the first gate and turn right. A delightful mix of tourist shops and old world architecture awaits your exploration. Passengers with scooters from the ship were numerous. We had a delicious lunch (best Greek Salad ever) and a delicious bottle of local white wine, Kretikos Vilana recommended by a friendly waiter. The restaurant, Archipelagos, outdoor shaded balcony over looked Hippocratous Square. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Malta--the port terminal was lacking an information booth or perhaps one not manned the day we were in port. Upon exiting the terminal a blockade of taxi drivers practically had to elbowed aside to get curb side. The shuttle provided to city edge is well hidden to the left of the terminal and several hundred feet down and around a curve. The hidden factor almost seemed deliberate.

The shuttle, a Tuk-tuk train, takes you about ½ mile and drops you off seemingly no where near the business district. However walk left around the harbor several hundred yards and just beyond the trees the city magically appears. Just in front and across the intersection on the left side is a tourist office with maps. We felt a HOHO not necessary as everything is so close.

Cadiz--just a few steps across the street from the port. My partner wanted paella and Misha, the port expert, got a referral from the terminal security guard. She said the restaurant, La Rambla, is frequented by locals and very close to the main square in front of the ship. It was on Galle Soprans which is the street/alley just left of the ancient Town Hall which dominates the square. Walk a mere 150 feet down and on the right side is ‘La Rambla,’ easily perceived as common--wrong. The paella, appetizer size, was delicious, and a generous portion, and only 4 euros. Also my salad, seemingly ordinary, was scrumptious. And my ‘spicy potatoes,’ reminiscent of Greek potatoes was good to the last bite. Our local bottle of white wine, Barbadillo Castillo de San Diego, really good, made the meal gourmet. The entire lunch with a bottle of wine was only 24 euros!

After lunch we went back to the square and up the second street on the right side of the Town Hall to the square containing the Cadiz Cathedral, jam packed with tourist. When first entering the square on the right is a bakery, Casa Hidalgo. Warning: the pastry with custard filling is maybe the best I have ever had the pleasure of eating. Do not miss this! It is take out only. Buy your pastry and take it next door to the side walk café and order Cappuccino. Heaven!

Funchal--Although visiting numerous times we had never taken the cable car up the mountain. What took us so long! Fabulous views. At the top is an estate and gardens which wish we had done rather than the pre-purchased Botanical Garden tickets. Nice but another cable car ride away and the paths not so mobility friendly as the prior estate and garden.

Afterwards we walked back to the ship (long walk) stopping midway for lunch at Café Funchal, only 1 block off the harbor street. I never realized pasta could be so delicious--a lowly pasta pomodoro transformed into mamma mia! It was ziti with fresh cherry tomatoes, capers, black olives, garlic, a generous amount of soft grated cheese and loads of olive oil. Naturally the local wine, three glasses, tempted me to burst into song. My partner was equally effusive over his spaghetti with seafood; a generous portion of calamari, shrimp, clams and sauce over pasta.

Conclusion: I will say that everyone we talked to enjoyed the cruise and were disappointed that the Atlantic Adventure of the last 7 years is not scheduled next year. One lady told a friend that the reason was not enough drinkers/spenders. She also said that 83% of the guest onboard were repeaters of this cruise! I know all but one person I talked to were repeaters. Noro Virus did show up (2% of ship infected) but extensive disinfecting by a diligent crew eradicated it.

If HAL ever revives this cruise, count me in. Meanwhile next stop: Alaska, Panama and finally my bucket list Voyage of the Vikings. Happy cruising!

What an informative review! Thanks for your great details of both the ship, services, and ports. We also loved Cadiz and can't wait to return on another cruise.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

You are welcome, I have learned much from CC and wanted give back also.

One important cruise enjoyment not mentioned in the review: unlimited free laundry! :)Our first 4 star cruise.:D

Thanks for the extensive review. We were on the Veendam for the cruise just prior to this one and agree totally with your review on the ship. Jeremy was amazing on his port knowledge. During our cruise the CD had a family emergency and had to leave the ship and Jeremy filled in and did an excellent job.

Thanks for the port information. We will be visiting several of the ports in 2019 on the Prinsendam so this gives us some great info.

Great review, thank you. We were on the cruise prior to yours, I remember wishing I could stay on the ship our last morning -- everything had been *that good*. I'm sorry about the problems you had with your cabin, but glad they were minor as you said. We had many minor problems with our cabin on the Koningsdam too, so age isn't always the only reason. ;) I agree, Petar is a jewel, one of the best Pinnacle experiences I've ever had.

Very enjoyable, well-balanced and informative post! Greatly appreciate that you took the time to write a comprehensive report. Congratulations on your first 4 star cruise (free laundry!, 50% off Pinnacle!....).

I would be interested to know who the Captain, HM and SC were, if you have that info.

Looking good for your next cruises, all great ones!

Very enjoyable, well-balanced and informative post! Greatly appreciate that you took the time to write a comprehensive report. Congratulations on your first 4 star cruise (free laundry!, 50% off Pinnacle!....).

I would be interested to know who the Captain, HM and SC were, if you have that info.

Looking good for your next cruises, all great ones!

Captain Noel, The only Irish captain in the HAL fleet, was very good keeping us informed of the Noro virus status. He was an excellent communicator and humorous also. Sorry do not remember HM and SC.

Captain Noel, The only Irish captain in the HAL fleet, was very good keeping us informed of the Noro virus status. He was an excellent communicator and humorous also. Sorry do not remember HM and SC.

Ah, thanks. Nice to have a really informative and personable Captain, especially for a long cruise.

Just wanted to add that I was one of the unlucky passengers who contacted the Noro Virus. If it happens to you don't hesitate to go to the infirmary. They gave me a shot and within 45 minutes I felt much better, plus as a bonus it made me sleep all day.

Thanks for your review. We were on the cruise too, had tons of elevator issues that were especially frustrating after we got colds that lowered our energy, so I wasn't doing the stairs anymore. Noro hit us also (DH only) and medical sold us some pills, didn't offer a shot but no charges for the visit. I recall it was 2.7% at it's peak but it lasted weeks with changes in service and facilities available. Anyone with noro was treated according to special protocols: special team to clean rooms, special disinfectants, the team used extra precautions, room service on blue cloth trays so they could be identified and washed separately, etc. The colds we got mid-cruise started out mild but then wham, got much worse and impacted our touring, just no energy and we had to cancel several tours.... and we are still not fully back to normal. We are robust people, very active but whatever was going around that ship really did us in, and a lot of people had it, coughing was heard constantly, unfortunately. Not sure what the answer is but I think it will impact our future choices.

The ports were mostly wonder-filled. One surprise port for us was Cartagena where we walked around and stumbled on some very historic places, especially a lovely, very well done small museum on Hannibal and the wall the Carthaginians built around the city to keep out the Romans.... but soon after Hannibal departed on his trek to Rome with the elephants the Romans overran the city. The name Cartagena is a corruption of Carthage. Lots of interesting eateries and shops, a very interesting assortment of items to peruse.

Petar was very good to us and we learned this was his first time with HAL! he left the ship when we did but he hopes to return.

Our room had temperature control problems, very uncomfortable many days/nights. We will not cruise on Veendam again even though we liked the hot tubs!

Because of the illness issues we experienced we will think long and hard before choosing a long cruise again - it was downright scary to think about the possibility of being put ashore, as so many people were taken off, nearly 1 (plus companions) in every port, so close to 2% of the 1250 passengers. But the treatment we received from medical did help us (antibiotics for a bit of pneumonia that DH developed after the cold/noro hit) and their care was good. I just wonder if HAL is ultra-conservative about putting people ashore.

We will eventually look back on this cruise and enjoy the good memories. We did get to many excellent places - Lisbon! Malta! Made our own way to Pisa. Visited over half of the ancient sites we had planned, fabulous sites! missed others.... it happens

Capt Noel O'Driscoll, very informative!

HM Frank Ulbricht

SC ? not sure what this means but I'll be happy to check once it's clarified.

m--

Thanks for your review. We were on the cruise too, had tons of elevator issues that were especially frustrating after we got colds that lowered our energy, so I wasn't doing the stairs anymore. Noro hit us also (DH only) and medical sold us some pills, didn't offer a shot but no charges for the visit. I recall it was 2.7% at it's peak but it lasted weeks with changes in service and facilities available. Anyone with noro was treated according to special protocols: special team to clean rooms, special disinfectants, the team used extra precautions, room service on blue cloth trays so they could be identified and washed separately, etc. The colds we got mid-cruise started out mild but then wham, got much worse and impacted our touring, just no energy and we had to cancel several tours.... and we are still not fully back to normal. We are robust people, very active but whatever was going around that ship really did us in, and a lot of people had it, coughing was heard constantly, unfortunately. Not sure what the answer is but I think it will impact our future choices.

The ports were mostly wonder-filled. One surprise port for us was Cartagena where we walked around and stumbled on some very historic places, especially a lovely, very well done small museum on Hannibal and the wall the Carthaginians built around the city to keep out the Romans.... but soon after Hannibal departed on his trek to Rome with the elephants the Romans overran the city. The name Cartagena is a corruption of Carthage. Lots of interesting eateries and shops, a very interesting assortment of items to peruse.

Petar was very good to us and we learned this was his first time with HAL! he left the ship when we did but he hopes to return.

Our room had temperature control problems, very uncomfortable many days/nights. We will not cruise on Veendam again even though we liked the hot tubs!

Because of the illness issues we experienced we will think long and hard before choosing a long cruise again - it was downright scary to think about the possibility of being put ashore, as so many people were taken off, nearly 1 (plus companions) in every port, so close to 2% of the 1250 passengers. But the treatment we received from medical did help us (antibiotics for a bit of pneumonia that DH developed after the cold/noro hit) and their care was good. I just wonder if HAL is ultra-conservative about putting people ashore.

We will eventually look back on this cruise and enjoy the good memories. We did get to many excellent places - Lisbon! Malta! Made our own way to Pisa. Visited over half of the ancient sites we had planned, fabulous sites! missed others.... it happens

Capt Noel O'Driscoll, very informative!

HM Frank Ulbricht

SC ? not sure what this means but I'll be happy to check once it's clarified.

m--

Thanks, Maureen

I meant CD. Should pay more attention to my typing.

Frank Ulbrich is good, low-key, ultra-polite, liked him a lot. Pisa, Cartagena, Lisbon, Malta! Glad you got to these favs of mine.

The CD was Kerri Noble. She was very informative, personable, present, easy to talk with and has a lot of cruise ship experience albeit new to CD position. There are fewer activities and fewer CD staff but she said she is responsible for approx 40 direct reports: musicians, all stage crews, lecturers, singers and dancers, EXC Port Guides, Club HAL, her assistant CD and the event planner (a more behind the scenes role) and maybe a few others. Best of all she had the volume of the music in the show lounge at a good level, not distorted and assaulting as we had on Amsterdam.

She said she had no input into the guest performers, some of whom were downright embarrassingly poor; all those are now assigned from Seattle. Not sure if she or Seattle arranged for the Folkloric performers, locals who came on while we were in ports overnight or very late - that is a nice touch and although some of them weren't to my tastes (specifically flamenco, but that's just a personal preference) they were good performances and very well attended....we had Fado, Flamenco twice and Spanish Guitar twice. I'd rate Kerri higher than many but not tops. m--

Thanks for your review. We were on this sailing with you and I agree with most of your review. We really loved all the ports, and there were many. This is our second time sailing this Atlantic Adventure. We were very disappointed in the entertainment and the main dining room. We thought the food was mediocre and heavily salted at all times. We thought the Test Kitchen demos were boring since they actually did repeats during the cruise. There is definitely a noticeable cutback in ship activities. Our room stewards were top-notch and the Captain was certainly the best we've ever had. Overall, we learned a great deal about the Med and enjoyed our trip.

Thanks for your review. We were on this sailing with you and I agree with most of your review. We really loved all the ports, and there were many. This is our second time sailing this Atlantic Adventure. We were very disappointed in the entertainment and the main dining room. We thought the food was mediocre and heavily salted at all times. We thought the Test Kitchen demos were boring since they actually did repeats during the cruise. There is definitely a noticeable cutback in ship activities. Our room stewards were top-notch and the Captain was certainly the best we've ever had. Overall, we learned a great deal about the Med and enjoyed our trip.

re the above which I bolded: I was trying to soft peddle my dissatisfaction re the entertainment. You were more on point and for that I thank you. I did others no favor by not expressing my more intense disappointment. We also remember frequently commenting on the excessive salt used by the chef.

I am happy to hear you also were impressed with the room stewards. The Hotel Director must have been top notch. On disembarkation I told my steward if I am ever lucky enough to have him again he can expect a bear hug!

Thanks for your reply and impressions. This is what makes CC so valuable.