Live from Voyager—Feb 20 to Mar 6, 2018–Sydney to Auckland with RachelG

RachelG

Wes, Sovereign Hill had a bunch of old broken down farm equipment in this big shed as well. George loved it and loved talking with the guy whose job it is to work on it and talk with visitors. George would love to have that job!

Jackie, George thought the wombat was kind of stinky!

Poss, wish you were here. I will try to post lots of photos for you.

Got the answer about the streaming internet. If you have regular included internet, the upgrade costs $9.99 per day. You have to get it for the whole cruise. But if I wanted to upgrade today for the rest of the cruise, I could do that, and it would just be $9.99 per day extra for the remaining days. If I were having issues or needed streaming, that seems a reasonable price, but so far so good.

Got the answer about the streaming internet. If you have regular included internet, the upgrade costs $9.99 per day. You have to get it for the whole cruise. But if I wanted to upgrade today for the rest of the cruise, I could do that, and it would just be $9.99 per day extra for the remaining days. If I were having issues or needed streaming, that seems a reasonable price, but so far so good.

Rachel.

Loving your "live"!!

A little more about the extra cost streaming internet.... You are right about the cost. Dick bought it on the Navigator the other day because he needed to up date some business programs. The regular internet no longer allows for that type of thing. Well, he is having a hard time as it is still very slow and disconnects often. So it not helpful for his needs. We will have to get off in Perth and find a public library. He didn't have this problem in Sept on Seabourn. We can travel for long periods because he has been able to do business on the ship in the past.This is a new wrinkle for him.

I haven't tried it to run a movie yet so don't know if that works.

Carolyn

Rachel.

Loving your "live"!!

A little more about the extra cost streaming internet.... You are right about the cost. Dick bought it on the Navigator the other day because he needed to up date some business programs. The regular internet no longer allows for that type of thing. Well, he is having a hard time as it is still very slow and disconnects often. So it not helpful for his needs. We will have to get off in Perth and find a public library. He didn't have this problem in Sept on Seabourn. We can travel for long periods because he has been able to do business on the ship in the past.This is a new wrinkle for him.

I haven't tried it to run a movie yet so don't know if that works.

Carolyn

Good to know Carolyn. George was needing to download a bunch of documents, so was thinking about getting it, but sounds like it may not be worth it.

I have been following your blog and really loving it, BTW.

I "think" that I'm happy that there is a charge for streaming (as long as it does not affect the speed for people that only want to use the internet for emails). In my opinion, this is a great change.

Interesting change. On the last world cruise, we used messenger to talk to friends and family. Probably 75% of the time both picture and audio were viable. No need for extra speed. Just occasionally were there problems. And this was when we knew other passengers would be doing heavy use, ie right after returning from being off the ship, first thing in the morning, etc. I hope this does not mean the ordinary Internet is now at less speed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

February 23, 2018–crossing the Tasman Sea en route to New Zealand

Quiet sailing over night, again almost no motion. We lost an hour due to having to set the clocks forward, so I actually woke up at 6:30 am rather than 5:30. George was already up on a conference call with his office.

It was much cooler, probably low 70s and raining, so no deck walking for me. I had to break down and go to the gym. Good news is they have new, at least new to me, techno gym ellipticals which I like much better than the old ones. They have a video screen where you can choose a trail to follow while you are working out. Today I did Lake Tahoe. But the gym desperately needs a good fan. That is actually why I don’t like working out in there.

There were a variety of lectures and other activities this am. They were serving burgers for lunch on the grill, but it was too damp to really sit outside comfortably. George and I headed to Compass Rose for a leisurely sea day lunch. I had that watermelon duck salad that they served first on Oceania but now have in the Asian restaurant on Explorer and a big Caesar salad. George had Caesar salad and some incredibly tender pork ribs that must have started cooking yesterday. We both thought lunch was quite tasty and just the right amount of food.

In the afternoon, we just goofed off. They were showing one of the Oscar nominated films in the theater, but I go to sleep in movie theaters so decided to skip that.

The seas really picked up throughout the afternoon, though the rain stopped off and on. So still no deck walking as just too rough and windy. We had a 3 way tie for 2nd at trivia. If the team had trusted my answer on one question, we would have won, but that is just the way it goes. And if George would go to trivia, he would have backed me up as he also knew the correct answer.

It was the block party tonight. Met a lot of really nice people, then dinner in CR. I did get my finger limes and they were delicious, as was everything else. The entertainer afterward was a musician from Australia who can play pretty much every instrument. He is a very talented guy.

Going to bed with a lot of rocking. We lose another hour.

Funnily the UK Guardian newspaper had an article on Finger Limes (at least I think it was the Guardian, might have been the London Times) Said how popular they now are in the UK and what to do with them Sadly they are not, as yet, popular in Switzerland (we are rather "backward" when it comes to these sorts of things) and so I am not holding my breath!!

Two hour difference between Australia and NZ? At least it is one per night and not all at the same time.

Yes, Hambagahle, 2 hour time difference. New Zealand is significantly south of Australia, and the time zone lines are closer together, but at least it is spread out a little.

I haven’t seen finger limes in Oklahoma yet—will look at Sprouts when I get home.

February 24, 2018–2nd day at sea crossing the Tasman Sea en route to New Zealand

Even though we are sailing out and around to avoid the cyclone, it is affecting us. Lots of rocking and rolling all night. Not the worst we have experienced but a lot of movement and creeping of the ship. Since we lost another hour, I am now awakening at a reasonable 7 am.

Looking outside, the view was a study in grey. Grey rolling sea with a few white caps blending to grey dense fog then to totally overcast grey sky. Temperature is not bad, in the low 70s, but it is very windy and raining on and off. We did open the slider a while to enjoy the sound of the ocean.

We had to undergo a face to face presentation to New Zealand customs. This was the quickest most organized face to face I have ever done. They had an hour for early risers, then after that went by suite numbers. We were up early so walked down to the voyager lounge with the forms filled out, were given our passports, said hello to the New Zealand customs and immigration lady, had our passports stamped and were out in less than 2 minutes. No line at all.

We worked out in the gym, today virtually walking a trail in Yosemite on the elliptical, then went for massages. Chantelle, my masseuse, was excellent. She has been with Regent several years, and we have met on previous cruises. No pressure to buy anything, or tricks to get extra tips.

We had lunch again in Compass Rose, which was much more crowded today than yesterday. I think a lot of people are feeling the rough seas. Buffet upstairs was Asian, but it was raining, windy, and damp, so that probably deterred some as well.

George had to download and print off some things for work. I had not been successful in getting this done, but the computer guy was able to accomplish it with no trouble at all.

Wine tasting at 2:30 was led by Arthur from the Philippines who is now head sommelier. We had known him for years and watched him move up in the company. A very relaxed tasting. He assured us that if we didn’t care for the suggested wines at any meal, we could ask for an alternative, and he gave some good advice on how to communicate with the sommelier as to what you like.

Trivia was very difficult today. No great scores. We got 8 and came in 4th.

Tonight was the Seven Seas party. I was recognized to receive my platinum pin. We were surprised when they also gave George one. He doesn’t have as many days, lagging me by about 30. But I guess they thought that they might as well give it to him too since he tags along most of the time.

We had dinner with Massimo, the GM, and Elda, the assistant CD as well as another really nice couple. It was a fun evening. George had more lobster. I am thinking he may turn into a lobster by the end of the cruise.

Then Marsha Lawson, the lead female vocalist, gave a one woman show that was outstanding. What a voice she has.

The captain says it is going to get rough around midnight and that we should strap ourselves in bed. I need to get one of those bedbelts that cwn talks about.

Rachel

We are rocking and rolling also, as we round the South West tip of Australia and head into the Indian Ocean from the Great Southern Ocean. Last night in Sette Mari, wine and water glasses went flying a we crested and fell off a big wave.

Jack says he will be glad to lend you a bed belt! Good sailor that he is, he has a supply!

Hope you have good weather in Dunedin. It is one of our favorite areas of New Zealand. Unfortunately the day we were there on this trip it rained.

Carolyn