Rise in Tips ?

Josy1953

That's not what P&O claim.

Where is that "Claim" written down ?

P&O are under no such arrangements with their crew (not staff but crew) to make up the shortfall for people who underpay tips, or not tip at all.

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn is a great person, friendly, charming, and a former model.

I am a Lady of leisure : Yes.

Working for Carnival or any of its many companies :, No

Guessing : Not a hope.

If you are familiar with any of my post's here on this forum, you will be aware how much I know of what goes on "Within" the cruise industry.

(One doesnt rise to the bait Boycey )

Ah but the problem is that you are just a name at the top of your posts. It's pointless making claims of this sort because you and all posters here can be whatever they wish to be.

Not that I'm saying that all you claim is accurate or not, but without a lot more information about you and your background your claims are worth just the same as any other poster.

David.

Who in P&O, were have they said this.

This is the first time I have even heard this.

P&O publish on their web site that 100% of YOUR auto-gratuity is paid to YOUR waiters/cabin crew (my emphasis).

So none is paid to any other staff to compensate where passengers may have removed their auto-gratuity as you suggested.

So, if your gratuity goes only to your waiters/cabin crew why would P&O insist that staff pay any cash gratuity to the gratuity pool if the auto-gratuity is removed? After all they should just get it back again, no? I would suggest that it is because P&O do actually have to make up the gratuity pool due to contractual agreements as the poster here stated a P&O officer advised.

It would be an incredibly stupid thing for the officer to say if not true. It means that the waiters/cabin crew are not penalised in any way should a passenger remove the auto-gratuity because P&O pay it instead ....

Where is that "Claim" written down ?

P&O are under no such arrangements with their crew (not staff but crew) to make up the shortfall for people who underpay tips, or not tip at all.

Then please explain why any cash gratuity has to be handed in to the gratuity pool if a passenger removes the auto-gratuity?

What a ridiculous thread Ihave just read all these remarks through. Everybody has different views on this issue and nobody is right or wrong. We are taking our family on a cruise in August with ages from 12 to 70. That is £35 a day. Will we keep the auto tip on? Our business nobody else's.

What a ridiculous thread Ihave just read all these remarks through. Everybody has different views on this issue and nobody is right or wrong. We are taking our family on a cruise in August with ages from 12 to 70. That is £35 a day. Will we keep the auto tip on? Our business nobody else's.

Thanks for your contribution.

Its right, that you have been made aware of the tipping procedure by P&O cruises before you cruise.

Why would you decline to pay for something that you already know you are recommended to pay ?

Ah but the problem is that you are just a name at the top of your posts. David.

David, what you say is very relevant.

People can post whatever they want, but I think we both know what has been said by good ol' me, is 100% correct :rolleyes:

Its really not fair to ask me to state my background on this public forum.

I am sure you would agree with that.

Lynn is always correct, and prim and proper, and just beautiful

Quote from the P&O site

100% of this amount is distributed to your cabin steward, butler, head waiter, assistant waiter or junior waiter that has looked after you whilst you are with us, this is distributed through our tipping pool.

I read this as meaning the auto tips are pooled together and divided amongst the various crew. The important word is 'pool'. If your steward was only getting the service charge (P&O definition) of the passengers who tipped thay would not be happy if they had 14 cabins with tightwads. Pooling and distributing the money ensures all get something, even if their passengers don't tip.

In addition there is a bonus scheme dependent on the marking in the survey sheet.

Quote from the P&O site

100% of this amount is distributed to your cabin steward, butler, head waiter, assistant waiter or junior waiter that has looked after you whilst you are with us, this is distributed through our tipping pool.

I read this as meaning the auto tips are pooled together and divided amongst the various crew. The important word is 'pool'. If your steward was only getting the service charge (P&O definition) of the passengers who tipped thay would not be happy if they had 14 cabins with tightwads. Pooling and distributing the money ensures all get something, even if their passengers don't tip.

In addition there is a bonus scheme dependent on the marking in the survey sheet.

A strange interpretation in my opinion, especially as P&O clearly state 'your' and 'you'. There is no suggestion whatsoever in P&O's statement that part of your auto-gratuity is paid to staff that had nothing to do with you.

I would think the 'pool' is simply an administration method of making one payment to a staff member rather then 20 odd individual payments from 20 odd individual passengers on board accounts.

Let me clarify.

Your version of what it says in the P&O website is incorrect

simples :D

No the version is correct. The interpretation is wrong. Everything which goes in is put in a pool and then shared out. No where does it say anything is added. In that way a cabin steward who has 10 out of 15 non payers does not lose out when his mate in the next section has 12 out of 15 paying.

So in a way the pain is shared. The bonus scheme is added on top.

If you leave the tip on and give the steward a little extra he can keep that as it is not instead of the auto tip.

A strange interpretation in my opinion, especially as P&O clearly state 'your' and 'you'. There is no suggestion whatsoever in P&O's statement that part of your auto-gratuity is paid to staff that had nothing to do with you.

I would think the 'pool' is simply an administration method of making one payment to a staff member rather then 20 odd individual payments from 20 odd individual passengers on board accounts.

Let's also be clear that "your" and "you" can be used to categorize a group of people and not just as a singular as you are suggesting PM.

Also I would be amazed if P&O, as part of Carnival Corp, operated a different system to Princess which, according to them, operates the gratuity pool in exactly the way Dave suggests, and they also stress that only cash gratuities made over and above the auto tip level can be kept by a staff member, all others are to be put into the pool.

However I am sure Lynn will be telling you I am also wrong and she is the only right minded person posting on here.

Thanks for your contribution.

Its right, that you have been made aware of the tipping procedure by P&O cruises before you cruise.

Why would you decline to pay for something that you already know you are recommended to pay ?

I never said I would decline to pay. I said it was nobody's business. You do not know if I decline or not.

However I am sure Lynn will be telling you I am also wrong and she is the only right minded person posting on here.

As if I would ever do that :D

terrierjohn you are perhaps mistaken maybe ?

Lynn is great. Go Lynn you beautiful person. Go Lynn ya devil

This is from the Princess website

To simplify the tipping process for our guests, a discretionary gratuity of $12 per person for mini-suites and suites, and $11.50 per guest in all other staterooms per day (including children) will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet.

One interpretation of this is that the Princess tips pool is fleet wide!

There is a rumour that P&O will publish the details of people who request removal of the auto tip in the daily Horizon!!!!!!!!!!;):rolleyes:

They would have to put a lot of extra pages in the Horizon if they did that 😄

Just back from 23 days on Arcadia. We left our tips on and as we had really good service from everyone, we tipped extra to our waiter, assistant waiter, wine waiter and our cabin steward 😄

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This is from the Princess website

To simplify the tipping process for our guests, a discretionary gratuity of $12 per person for mini-suites and suites, and $11.50 per guest in all other staterooms per day (including children) will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet.

One interpretation of this is that the Princess tips pool is fleet wide!

On a cruise critic meet and greet on Emerald Princess last year the director of the hotel was asked about tips and yes they are spread across the fleet. I seem to recall it was amongst ships of a similar class so Emerald, Ruby, Crown etc.

On a cruise critic meet and greet on Emerald Princess last year the director of the hotel was asked about tips and yes they are spread across the fleet. I seem to recall it was amongst ships of a similar class so Emerald, Ruby, Crown etc.

That's not really a gratuity then, it's a voluntary donation to Princess Cruises operating costs.

To me the £5 auto tip is a reduction as for years I've been used to US$ being added automatically (and of course never removed).

Why don't people just look at their free OBC as their tip money and then forget about the auto tip.

Life's too short.

To me the £5 auto tip is a reduction as for years I've been used to US$ being added automatically (and of course never removed).

Why don't people just look at their free OBC as their tip money and then forget about the auto tip.

Life's too short.

Well yes that would work if everyone got enough obc But they don't. My 23 days on Arcadia was without ANY obc. This was for various reasons and I am not quibbling about it. If the gratuities are shared fleet-wide, then they would appear to be going towards the fleet operating costs. Why not call them a non-refundable service charge. Everyone would then know just what the cruise cost is and could then tip extra for any service over and above what is expected.

Well yes that would work if everyone got enough obc But they don't. My 23 days on Arcadia was without ANY obc. This was for various reasons and I am not quibbling about it. If the gratuities are shared fleet-wide, then they would appear to be going towards the fleet operating costs. Why not call them a non-refundable service charge. Everyone would then know just what the cruise cost is and could then tip extra for any service over and above what is expected.

That's just too sensible DC, a lot of people do seem to enjoy complaining about these charges suggesting that tips or gratuities should be at the customers discretion, and even changing the name is unlikely to change their mind.

They will not be satisfied until they are incorporated in the basic price, which of course means the cost plus all likely overheads immediately become a charge against the P&L account, and will affect the return on equity, leading to far higher prices than at present.

I know Thomson and some of the luxury lines do include gratuities in the basic price, which is probably why the luxury line prices are so much higher, and even Thomson fail to compete adequately with P&O.