P&O disappointment at poor treatment to disabled child

Mattymoo2001

If your son isn't getting up for breakfast, I am sure the cousin could take his place and nobody would notice if you don't make an issue of it.

Hi

That's what I thought. The agent said unlikely as he's an adult son is 16 but bigger than the adult! I think agent being cautious. Thanks for your thoughts. Think I'll keep the booking now after all the great advice

You do not get priority embarkation at every port just for being in a suite. This only happens on the last day in Southampton and everyone can pick their own time to get off.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ah thanks for that, last time we cursed 2008 they gave us passes in Barcelona and Rome which we used as was doing a football stadium tour with our son & all the sights in Rome. If we take disabled assistance I'm guessing we'll all be together anyway from the advice given on here. Thanks

Ah thanks for that, last time we cursed 2008 they gave us passes in Barcelona and Rome which we used as was doing a football stadium tour with our son & all the sights in Rome. If we take disabled assistance I'm guessing we'll all be together anyway from the advice given on here. Thanks

Disability assistance is only available in Southampton, not at each port of call. However, where there is a ramp on and off the ship, two members of the ships crew will take the wheelchair (with the user sat in it) on and off for you. If it’s a very big port and there’s an air bridge, you can easily push the wheelchair yourself. There is no priority for wheelchair users but, given the help provided at the tricky bit, there is no need for it.

As I have said previously, my wife is a wheelchair user and cruising is the only overseas holiday that she will entertain now because it is made so easy for disabled guests. Whilst P&O isn’t perfect, their service levels are excellent and they are very alert to the needs of wheelchair users and are extremely accommodating and helpful.

All ships are well adapted for wheelchairs but Britannia particularly so. The only issue that you will have is with the lifts, as they are too small on Britannia and there are no stairs midships, so everyone uses them. Even though, during the muster drill, the Captain asks that priority with the lifts should be given to those in wheelchairs, you will find that able bodied passengers suddenly lose the ability to use stairs when on a cruise ship and can conveniently be blind to you when the doors open and you are waiting for one (even when the lift is going down and it would be no effort for them to step out and walk down the last few flights). We work around this by avoiding the need for lifts at peak times (e.g. just before 1st or 2nd sitting if it’s the lift bank that serves the club dining room).

You should also be aware that assisted disembarkation can take longer than regular disembarkation, as it is widely abused by some passengers who, having coped without a wheelchair throughout their entire cruise, around and on & off the ship and ashore, suddenly have a requirement for one when they believe that it may facilitate a short cut to getting off the ship. As this irritates me so much, I now push my wife off myself, with our hand luggage piled up on her, and grab a porter in the luggage hall. This is not P&O’s fault as they are put in a very difficult situation, but a sad indicator of some people’s attitudes.

All ships are well adapted for wheelchairs but Britannia particularly so. The only issue that you will have is with the lifts, as they are too small on Britannia and there are no stairs midships, so everyone uses them. Even though, during the muster drill, the Captain asks that priority with the lifts should be given to those in wheelchairs, you will find that able bodied passengers suddenly lose the ability to use stairs when on a cruise ship and can conveniently be blind to you when the doors open and you are waiting for one (even when the lift is going down and it would be no effort for them to step out and walk down the last few flights). We work around this by avoiding the need for lifts at peak times (e.g. just before 1st or 2nd sitting if it’s the lift bank that serves the club dining room).

quote]

People often comment about lifts on Britannia being used by able bodied people who don't give preference to wheelchair users. I never use the lifts for that very reason but I'm not a doctor and I am in no way in a position to assess if someone who appears able-bodied is fit enough to use the stairs. Its what annoys me about the whole theme of this thread in that if everyone behaved in a fair and reasonable manner then it would be better for all.

I'm astonished to learn that Britannia has no stairs amidships. Given the size of the ship, if there was an emergency requiring passengers to go to their muster stations and the power for the lifts went off, that could be a recipe for chaos.

Hi

I am not asking for preferential treatment. I booked & my agent asked the questions. It is exactly what we did on Ventura in 2008.

It is to ensure my daughter doesn’t have long periods of standing.

I could not respond earlier yesterday when you were all getting irritated as I left home at 9 and it was nearly 5 when I got home as I am the PAO for my area. No it’s not smokescreen I collect solidly for 2 weeks. My husband has served 41 years, me 11 years & cousin 22 years!!!!

Thanks to the gentleman for posting his experiences with his wife in a wheelchair it’s most helpful to know about the lifts as we’ve booked A Deck so it may be a problem.

I’m not sure it’s going to work for us and thinking of taking up the free cancellation.

Getting off in Rome was so in easy in 2008 but my daughter was in a paediatric buggy now a child’s wheelchair might not be as easy. I’m arthritic & so is my husband.

Our daughter self propels but slopes she can’t do very well.

Lots to think about but maybe it’s not for us anymore.

Just wish they did suites for 6 would be easy.

I’m going to look at other cruises and compare with America as we had the best holiday ever she was so well catered for. I’m not keen on America but the customer service & assistance for disabled is unbelievable.

I won’t be replying now as off out Poppy collecting.

Back on line tonight. How do you close a thread? Think I have loads of invaluable advice just need to consolidate thoughts now & decide. Thanks all 👍

I'm astonished to learn that Britannia has no stairs amidships. Given the size of the ship, if there was an emergency requiring passengers to go to their muster stations and the power for the lifts went off, that could be a recipe for chaos.

This is going way off track but there is a central stairway for crew that would no doubt be used in an emergency.

Britannias sister ships Royal Princess and Regal Princess have now both had the midships crew stairs (which are opened to use in an emergency/ muster at the moment on Britannia) upgraded for daily passenger use and I wonder how long it will before it is done on Britannia.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Hi

I was comparing to my last P&O cruise where they allowed us all to eat together in the white room which you literally walk straight in. The main restaurants had queues which would mean she would have to go in her wheelchair and we like to enable her to be as normal as possible at 11. She has a lot of pain standing and the thought of queueing to get off the ship at each port was a scary one. They allowed my mom to disembark last time with us but this time they've said no and offered a refund.

Felt they didn't want us onboard.

We went to Florida last year and everyone was so accommodating we couldn't fault any part of the holiday or flight.

It's a shame they don't do suites for 6 people we wouldn't have this problem.

Thanks

You still haven’t addressed the issue of the very misleading subject line which as has been said is very misleading and derogatory to P & O.

People often comment about lifts on Britannia being used by able bodied people who don't give preference to wheelchair users. I never use the lifts for that very reason but I'm not a doctor and I am in no way in a position to assess if someone who appears able-bodied is fit enough to use the stairs. Its what annoys me about the whole theme of this thread in that if everyone behaved in a fair and reasonable manner then it would be better for all.

Yes, that old chestnut about ‘not all disabilities are visible’ comes up time and time again in order to counter this arguement. Whilst it is indeed true and, of course, every passenger has a right to use a lift whenever they wish (and, on ships like Britannia, it’s pretty essential if going up a lot of floors, even if pretty fit), I simply do not accept that 90% plus of passengers of all ages on P&O ships have hidden disabilities that mean that they cannot, on the odd occasion, step out of a lift, especially when going down. However busy a ship may be, if you want to find a nice quiet area with hardly any passengers, find a staircase.

Yes, it is a design fault which P&O does now recognise, as I have been told that it is going to be addressed at Britannia’s first refit. Shame that they can’t add a promenade deck whilst they are at it - then we’d have a near perfect ship (aft issues aside) ;)

Yes, that old chestnut about ‘not all disabilities are visible’ comes up time and time again in order to counter this arguement. Whilst it is indeed true and, of course, every passenger has a right to use a lift whenever they wish (and, on ships like Britannia, it’s pretty essential if going up a lot of floors, even if pretty fit), I simply do not accept that 90% plus of passengers of all ages on P&O ships have hidden disabilities that mean that they cannot, on the odd occasion, step out of a lift, especially when going down. However busy a ship may be, if you want to find a nice quiet area with hardly any passengers, find a staircase.

It may be an "old chestnut" because you don't like it but it is fact that you cannot tell if someone has a disability. I agree that many passengers are extremely thoughtless with regards to the lifts and indeed their attitude to wheelchair passengers can be disgraceful but amongst them will be a genuine person and that is why I said if all were fair and reasonable then it would be better for all. As I said, I don't use the lifts and if I did I would without doubt vacate it to let a wheelchair user in.

Incidentally, in my opinion, the use of lifts is abused by many by pressing both up and down buttons, getting into a lift that is going in the other direction to ensure they are in it, pressing door close buttons far too quickly as soon as the lift stops, people standing at the front to make it look full etc etc.

Hi

I am not asking for preferential treatment. I booked & my agent asked the questions. It is exactly what we did on Ventura in 2008.

It is to ensure my daughter doesn’t have long periods of standing.

I could not respond earlier yesterday when you were all getting irritated as I left home at 9 and it was nearly 5 when I got home as I am the PAO for my area. No it’s not smokescreen I collect solidly for 2 weeks. My husband has served 41 years, me 11 years & cousin 22 years!!!!

Thanks to the gentleman for posting his experiences with his wife in a wheelchair it’s most helpful to know about the lifts as we’ve booked A Deck so it may be a problem.

I’m not sure it’s going to work for us and thinking of taking up the free cancellation.

Getting off in Rome was so in easy in 2008 but my daughter was in a paediatric buggy now a child’s wheelchair might not be as easy. I’m arthritic & so is my husband.

Our daughter self propels but slopes she can’t do very well.

Lots to think about but maybe it’s not for us anymore.

Just wish they did suites for 6 would be easy.

I’m going to look at other cruises and compare with America as we had the best holiday ever she was so well catered for. I’m not keen on America but the customer service & assistance for disabled is unbelievable.

I won’t be replying now as off out Poppy collecting.

Back on line tonight. How do you close a thread? Think I have loads of invaluable advice just need to consolidate thoughts now & decide. Thanks all 👍

I have tried to answer all of your questions in a calm and professional manner, although I must say that I am in agreement with others that the title of your thread is deeply misleading. But I must take issue with you on two of your persistent points.

I’m afraid that you ARE seeking preferential treatment. There are ways around your ‘issues’ (that I have explained) that do not necessitate those travelling with you in a regular cabin to gain full suite benefits. As the husband of a disabled wife, it upsets me when other disabled people use it as an ‘excuse’ to gain some sort of advantage as it causes others to (rightly) challenge it and gives us all a bad name. All that disabled people want is to be treated equally. The odd ‘problem’ that we experience is always due to the attitudes of other passengers and not P&O staff, the vast majority of whom are superb.

Secondly, I can’t understand why you keep on citing your daughters inability to stand for long periods as an issue. There is never a time when she will have to do this, under any scenario. My wife is unable to even stand unaided, let alone walk, and she remains in her wheelchair whenever we are around the ship. This includes all restaurants and bars. We rarely queue for anything. I would suggest that you select Freedom Dining, as the only long queues that we have noticed in recent years have been people lining up for first or 2nd sitting in club dining. With freedom, if they can’t sit you immediately you are given a pager and can go and sit down in a bar whilst waiting.

When we took MIL on 6 cruises with her wheelchair it was partly she had a crush fracture in her back​ but mainly her Angina but she was 90 on her last cruise 5 years ago.

I have arthritis in my knees and left hip but i will walk up stairs and get out of a lift to let a wheelchair in because they should always take priority in a lift and everywhere else too.

I agree it is never 90% more like only 20% who might have a non visible disability.

It may be an "old chestnut" because you don't like it but it is fact that you cannot tell if someone has a disability. I agree that many passengers are extremely thoughtless with regards to the lifts and indeed their attitude to wheelchair passengers can be disgraceful but amongst them will be a genuine person and that is why I said if all were fair and reasonable then it would be better for all. As I said, I don't use the lifts and if I did I would without doubt vacate it to let a wheelchair user in.

Incidentally, in my opinion, the use of lifts is abused by many by pressing both up and down buttons, getting into a lift that is going in the other direction to ensure they are in it, pressing door close buttons far too quickly as soon as the lift stops, people standing at the front to make it look full etc etc.

The only pet hate of mine you missed out, is the ones even on a sea day where some get into the lift with a big rucksack strapped to their backs and the proceed to lean back into others or spin around talking to others ignoring the fact that they are catching people with them .

Not much fun to a wheelchair user or a small child whose head is just the right height regarding their face.

Why not take them off and stand still ?

Back on subject ,I wonder if tonight the OP will come on and concede that the title of their post is misleading regarding the Daughter? Have they given any thought to any of the options other posters have given them?

Also do they still think P&O are at fault ?

The only pet hate of mine you missed out, is the ones even on a sea day where some get into the lift with a big rucksack strapped to their backs and the proceed to lean back into others or spin around talking to others ignoring the fact that they are catching people with them .

Not much fun to a wheelchair user or a small child whose head is just the right height regarding their face.

Why not take them off and stand still ?

Back on subject ,I wonder if tonight the OP will come on and concede that the title of their post is misleading regarding the Daughter? Have they given any thought to any of the options other posters have given them?

Also do they still think P&O are at fault ?

Yes! Another selfish action.

The worst I ever saw was in Tallin when we joined the queue for the shuttle bus behind a wheelchair user who oddly was at the front of the queue. When speaking to them it appeared that the rest of the passengers rushed past them and were boarded the bus before the guy could even get out the chair. When the next bus arrived I tried to hold back the crowd to give him a chance to get on. I was pushed and punched in the back etc. The operator opened the middle door to let people off and people flooded in there. By the time that the wheelchair user got on the front seats were taken up by people refusing to move. Disgusting behaviour. So proud to be British.

When we took MIL on 6 cruises with her wheelchair it was partly she had a crush fracture in her back​ but mainly her Angina but she was 90 on her last cruise 5 years ago.

I have arthritis in my knees and left hip but i will walk up stairs and get out of a lift to let a wheelchair in because they should always take priority in a lift and everywhere else too.

I agree it is never 90% more like only 20% who might have a non visible disability.

You sound like you're in the same boat (excuse the pun) as me. I need two knee replacements and I've got a heart condition (sure they've diagnosed me incorrectly HaHa) but I can dance all night including Jive etc and don't use the lifts. Most of the time I can walk or dance around no problem then one day I can be sitting too long for dinner and when I try to get up I can hardly walk. Like you, I would always be considerate to others.

On our very first cruise, not counting the 2 night taster the year before, the BIG thing I noticed and commented about was "just how well the disabled people are catered for", especially those in wheelchairs.

And I speak as one who has had their foot run over by a heavy wheelchair in a lift when there was only me and one other in there! We became good friends after that episode.

You sound like you're in the same boat (excuse the pun) as me. I need two knee replacements and I've got a heart condition (sure they've diagnosed me incorrectly HaHa) but I can dance all night including Jive etc and don't use the lifts. Most of the time I can walk or dance around no problem then one day I can be sitting too long for dinner and when I try to get up I can hardly walk. Like you, I would always be considerate to others.

We sound very similar,i have High Blood Pressure but hopefully heart okay.

We sound very similar,i have High Blood Pressure but hopefully heart okay.

I went for a nose operation and found they wouldn't do it because of a dodgy heart valve. I did try and explain they had the wrong guy. I walk an hour every morning, dance 3 times a week and walked up Ben Nevis a year ago in 2 1/2 hours. I love the cruises, especially Britannia, for dancing.

Anyway, we're well off track now.

This is from a different time zone!

Giveaways are as follows:

We poppy sell not poppy collect

We use TA not agent!

We say Mum not Mom!

Not active in our time zone because its bedtime in theirs.

Ignore!!

Good spot. I’d clocked the ‘Mom’ thing but not the others. Will now heed your advice! Hope you are both well? Having chatted on Aurora in May, I also took your advice about disembarkation and we took ourselves off Aurora under our own steam last week rather than join the enormous queue of those who suddenly require the use of a wheelchair and pusher when they perceive it will get them off quicker. There were only around a dozen wheelchair users on the cruise, yet Vandebelts was absolutely full with those awaiting assistance on the final morning. Seems wrong when we have a genuine need, but we were off and away before 90% of them!