re currency on a grand European river cruise

wetride

We will be taking the 14 day Viking Grand European Cruise and staying a few days prior in Amsterdam and a few days post in Budapest. I need to know how to handle currency. I know the cruise line wants Euros for tips but $$$ to have on hand for littles stuff. I think Budapest has their own currency. HELP!!! I believe all countries use Euros but how much to have on hand.

Most outlets use major credit cards. Our credit card has no foreign transaction fee. We exchange loose euro currency at our local bank, $100-200 in euros depending on itineraries, for local tips and small purchases. If we fall short of euros along the way, we use the ATM using our credit, not debit, card. Using debit card will put a hold on our balances. We also bring some US$ in small bills for tips on excursion and onboard.

We use Euros in the Netherlands, Germany, Austria. Use Forint in Hungary. We never tip US $ in Europe. What will somebody do with a few $ bills? Wait until the end of the season until they have collected enough? The exchange fees will eat up part of the money. In our experience, credit cards are not always accepted. Cash still rules in many countries.

We use Euros in the Netherlands, Germany, Austria. Use Forint in Hungary. We never tip US $ in Europe. What will somebody do with a few $ bills? Wait until the end of the season until they have collected enough? The exchange fees will eat up part of the money. In our experience, credit cards are not always accepted. Cash still rules in many countries.

I agree with Floridiana. Credit cards are not accepted in some restaurants and shops.

We always use the local currency of the country we are visiting. We prefer not to leave money on the table. ATM's are plentiful, and any leftover local currencies come in handy for extra tips.

We did the same cruise in June, pre in Amsterdam, post in Prague. Relied exclusively on ATM'S for local currency. Every $ we took came right back to the USA. Handy for JFK, but there are ATM'S there, too. Re credit cards, we used them to cover extra charges in hotels but local currency cash everywhere else. (One odd quirk, we couldn't charge our dinner in our Prague hotel to our rm b/c we were registered through Viking, not the hotel so had to used cash there, too.)

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

Just did this trip June to July with 2 add on days at both ends. Got 400€ at airport in Amsterdam and that basically was what we used. All countries on this cruise use euros except Hungary which uses the forint. But you can use euros anywhere in Budapest as well, in fact most vendors preferred them but would accept HUF . My mistake was converting my remaining euros to HUF when I got to Budapest, I should have just spent the euros. Most places will take CC's but ask first at restaurants in Budapest. They will tell you their internet is down and are only taking cash. You can convert money all over Budapest. The one thing most shops will not want and will give you terrible rates for are dollars. Also for tips local currency is really preferred.

Most outlets use major credit cards. Our credit card has no foreign transaction fee. We exchange loose euro currency at our local bank, $100-200 in euros depending on itineraries, for local tips and small purchases. If we fall short of euros along the way, we use the ATM using our credit, not debit, card. Using debit card will put a hold on our balances. We also bring some US$ in small bills for tips on excursion and onboard.
Using a debt card at an ATM does not put a hold on balances; it immediately takes the money from your account and transfers finds to the owner of the ATM that gave you the cash. Using a credit card at an ATM is a cash advance; even though your credit card may have no Foreign Transaction Fee, it still probably has an immediate 3-5% Cash Advance Fee, and will probably start immediately charging interest at s high rate. Getting actual Euros in the US is generally at least 5% higher than using a bank ATM in Europe. Some river boats do operate in US $ but nowhere else in Western Europe does; tipping in Euros is far more convenient for guides.

You can pay your Viking tip with your credit card.
In Portugal I don't think Viking or any line allows tips via credit card, due to the Portuguese government taking VAT of I think 23% (and yes I am aware that the OP is not headed for Portugal).

We were on that trip last year at this time and We got about $200 in forints and the rest of our travel budget in Euros from our bank before we left. Using the forints in Budapest was helpful at the local markets for drinks, etc. but we could have used euros. Worked well both ways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GCT and their Program Directors will not accept credit card for tips. We take sufficient $ to tip. But we will use "leftover" local currency and tip out in multiple currencies I am most comfortable with Francs, Forint, Kuna, etc. in my pocket, so I don't mind withdrawing from a local bancomat in each country as it will go towards tips.

In Portugal I don't think Viking or any line allows tips via credit card, due to the Portuguese government taking VAT of I think 23% (and yes I am aware that the OP is not headed for Portugal).

I can't remember what we did in Portugal but we were on Viking's GET last year and paid by card.

Portugal is a special case because the only person directly employed by Viking is the PD; all the rest are from a Portuguese river company.

For any trip to Europe, I try to plan ahead. I list the countries we"ll be going to and the currency they use, then start a list of cash I think we'll need. We use our credit cards with no foreign transaction fee whenever we can, but of course we want to have some cash. Then, I go to our local bank and get what we need. We pay one conversion fee for this, and can convert it back at the end of our trip for no additional fee. We're careful to secure our cash while traveling, usually in neck pouches, then leave most of it in the safe except for what we may need on any given day. We realize we can go to an ATM if needed but have not yet had to do this. I'm a planner so I like to have things done in advance as much as possible, plus I don't want to waste time looking for ATMs (please don't do this on a tour, we had one tour where a couple took up a lot of time looking for just the right ATM.) Anyway, although I realize that other travelers have different ideas , this is what works for us.

• 5 weeks later...

We have a TD bank account specifically for travel. There are no fees for any withdrawal at any ATM worldwide. It's nice because you also get the current exchange rate with no fees. Worked beautifully in England and Wales in June and the dollar is quite strong. Where possible we use our travel master card to make purchases as it waives foreign transaction fees.

We have a TD bank account specifically for travel. There are no fees for any withdrawal at any ATM worldwide. It's nice because you also get the current exchange rate with no fees. Worked beautifully in England and Wales in June and the dollar is quite strong. Where possible we use our travel master card to make purchases as it waives foreign transaction fees.

It works the same with a Charles Schwab Bank account. [You don't even need a Schwab brokerage account, IIRC -- but it is a great place to keep you investments! Full disclosure: I don't work for Schwab, don't have stock in Schwab -- I'm just a happy customer]

It works the same with a Charles Schwab Bank account. [You don't even need a Schwab brokerage account, IIRC -- but it is a great place to keep you investments! Full disclosure: I don't work for Schwab, don't have stock in Schwab -- I'm just a happy customer]

The Charles Schwab card is a debit card so you do need some sort of account to draw upon. It's a great card for travel. We never exchange cash before we go...have yet to find a better deal than just using the ATM with the Schwab card....any ATM fees are refunded.

The Charles Schwab card is a debit card so you do need some sort of account to draw upon. It's a great card for travel. We never exchange cash before we go...have yet to find a better deal than just using the ATM with the Schwab card....any ATM fees are refunded.

Yes, you need a checking account. Some folks have mentioned keeping a separate checking account / debit card just for travel -- so if they get robbed very little is at risk. This would work perfectly for that.

Any experience using a Wells Fargo ATM card in Europe? Will I find ATM machines that accept them? Thanks!

Go to the website for your card's provider and look for "Locations". My card's website allows you to input an address (your hotel) and gives directions on how to get to nearby ATMs that accept my card. Also, your hotel may have an ATM in the lobby.

Get small bills since small shop owners may have a hard breaking a large denomination. Also, choose the option that has the bank calculate the exchange rate; don't choose the option to have the machine do the conversion in the spot. The bank calculated rate is supposed to be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I never use the airport ATMs. IMO too many people will know you are carrying cash. Best to use one in a bank lobby or one that does not have a lot of people walking near it.

I'm not really following the logic here...

When you use one at the airport you are usually just about to leave the area completely via taxi or other means...

When you use a bank lobby you are usually on foot and much easier to follow if that is what is bothering you...

I'm not really following the logic here...

When you use one at the airport you are usually just about to leave the area completely via taxi or other means...

When you use a bank lobby you are usually on foot and much easier to follow if that is what is bothering you...

IMO you are better off using an ATM where there are not a lot if people around to see you getting money. In some cities the

buses from the airport to the city center

are notorious for pickpockets. Same goes for trains to the city center.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums