Burger King in London

Please try to be understanding with this request. I have very serious food allergies which is why I love cruising. I get to see all parts of the world but always return to the ship to be sure of what I am eating. We are coming to London 2 days before our cruise and would like to see some major attractions and was looking at a hotel near the Tower of London and wondered if there are any Burger King or McDonald's with walking distance.

Thanking in advance for any suggestions

Well, to try to actually answer the question, yes, of course there are. But not in the immediate vicinity, if that's what you mean. It may be quicker to jump on the tube or bus to get to one.

Questions like this are hard to answer with any degree of precision, because what does "near the Tower of London" and "walking distance" mean to you? But in general, your hotel is an area that is not particularly well-served by fast food outlets. There are many of them in London, though, so you will not have a problem finding somewhere to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is a Subway and a KFC right by the tower, if they have anything you could eat. There is a Tesco Express (small grocery store) close by, if you wanted to buy food there.

It may be worth adding that virtually all food outlets in this country are well aware of the various allergies; nuts the most common of course, but there are many others. Anyone who can find acceptable food at BK or McD will almost certainly be able to order a meal in any proper cafe or restaurant.

I understand that you want to stay with the familiar, but if you tell the staff at a restaurant which foods you have to avoid, I am confident that they will accommodate you.

If you have a specific food allergy then it may also be worth checking the ingredient list for Macdonalds and Burger King in the UK as they do not always have the exact same ones as the US versions. Do not assume that because a food is safe to eat in the US it is safe for you here.

For example in the US fries are cooked in Soy and Canola oil, in the UK the are cooked in Sunflower and Rapeseed (Canola) oil.

It may be worth adding that virtually all food outlets in this country are well aware of the various allergies; nuts the most common of course, but there are many others. Anyone who can find acceptable food at BK or McD will almost certainly be able to order a meal in any proper cafe or restaurant.

I understand that you want to stay with the familiar, but if you tell the staff at a restaurant which foods you have to avoid, I am confident that they will accommodate you.

To be honest, I'd put it higher than this. If you know what you're allergic to and you can find acceptable food at Burger King or McDonalds, you might even be safer going to a proper restaurant - particularly one which is attached to a hotel - because the kitchen and staff are likely to be even more aware of what they need to do and how to do it. And the food will be better!

Just off the top of my head, you might want to look at the menu for the Natural Kitchen at the Doubletree near the Tower to see the range of food that you would be able to get there. That's a classic example of a place which should have reliable proper procedures in place to cater for someone with food allergies: a restaurant that's part of a chain built on good food principles, located in a hotel which is part of a US chain (with all of the potential liability issues that this invokes).

But if you must go to Burger King or McDonalds, please go to McDonalds ...

There is a Burger King at Fenchurch Street station (quite near the Tower.) also in the St Katharine Docks area you are able to buy homemade burgers on a Friday lunchtime at the food stalls set out in the 'World Food Fair' which takes place every Friday lunchtime. Cote restaurant does a very nice steak and chips which can be as plain as you prefer/wish. All of these are next door to the Tower. If you need recommendations for a hotel , the Guoman Tower hotel is very pleasant. Any more, please ask.

As already mentioned most restaurants these days are well aware of allergies as they seem to be a common thing. I think you would get more care and attention paid to allergies in an independent restaurant than any large chain.

In spite of a bad reputation many years ago, London has some of the best restaurants in the world. We also have the largest ethnic mix. What a shame to come here and not try some of our different and excellent restaurants.

As already mentioned most restaurants these days are well aware of allergies as they seem to be a common thing. I think you would get more care and attention paid to allergies in an independent restaurant than any large chain.

In spite of a bad reputation many years ago, London has some of the best restaurants in the world. We also have the largest ethnic mix. What a shame to come here and not try some of our different and excellent restaurants.

The biggest turn off to us when arriving in a foreign country is seeing American fast food restaurants. Why oh why do my fellow countrymen feel the need to patronize these places all over the world???

The biggest turn off to us when arriving in a foreign country is seeing American fast food restaurants. Why oh why do my fellow countrymen feel the need to patronize these places all over the world???

I couldn't agree more. Plus, many of the fast food places sell fattening, calorie laden food that has no nutrition

I probably go to McDs once a year maximum. Sometimes when we have arrived home on an early flight and want something quick and filling on our way home, but never in a foreign country.

My OH is a fussy eater, but can find something to eat in most restaurants.

I think trying new cuisine and different foods is all a part of foreign travel and something I enjoy immensely.

Well, although we are not your fellow countrymen, in our case following surgery one of us has food allergy issues (some of which are common, some not so). If we are served something with a "hidden" ingredient there may be dire consequences.

Like the OP, we can travel as cruisers because of the increasingly sophisticated food services provided on board. When we include pre- and post-cruise stays, it increases our confidence if we know of chain restaurants in the vicinity of our hotel that, in a pinch, we know can meet our needs.

Although local restaurants may well be prepared to meet those needs, that is not a given and will, sometimes, lead to repeat trips by the server to the kitchen to confirm ingredients. If we mispronounce phrases, language differences can also create confusion. Occasionally and understandably servers are a bit resentful of these questions. That outcome may disrupt the dining experience for others as well as ourselves.

Of course, I must concede that sleeping and eating on board does not provide an "authentic" local experience either.

Does the presence of cruise ships in port turn you off as well? Unfortunately, I guess that now that we are well past our backpacking days many of us have to make compromises.

When the OP posted, they asked people to be "gentle". I knew exactly what they expected and was pleased it did not immediately happen and the responses have been useful.

Of course, we and the OP will have the opportunity to observe some of your fellow countrymen but, as well, a lot of locals in one of those chains. Perhaps those locals are, in your view, making a poor choice. I have to admit thinking that in earlier, less experienced days. However, when a friend in Antwerp referred to the McDonald's on her street as the "American Embassy", I adjusted my position and tried to be less judgmental.

So we are thankful that those chains exist and, perhaps selfishly, that they allow us to continue our travels. Perhaps we are just not the sophisticated travellers that you expect, and for that we will have to accept your judgement.

Edited by nordski

That's a bit harsh, some Americans do that, some don't .... and some Brits do it too. Either way it's their choice, not really up to us to be critical of other peoples eating choices.

Well, although we are not your fellow countrymen, in our case following surgery one of us has food allergy issues (some of which are common, some not so). If we are served something with a "hidden" ingredient there may be dire consequences.

Like the OP, we can travel as cruisers because of the increasingly sophisticated food services provided on board. When we include pre- and post-cruise stays, it increases our confidence if we know of chain restaurants in the vicinity of our hotel that, in a pinch, we know can meet our needs.

Although local restaurants may well be prepared to meet those needs, that is not a given and will, sometimes, lead to repeat trips by the server to the kitchen to confirm ingredients. If we mispronounce phrases, language differences can also create confusion. Occasionally and understandably servers are a bit resentful of these questions. That outcome may disrupt the dining experience for others as well as ourselves.

Of course, I must concede that sleeping and eating on board does not provide an "authentic" local experience either.

Does the presence of cruise ships in port turn you off as well? Unfortunately, I guess that now that we are well past our backpacking days many of us have to make compromises.

When the OP posted, they asked people to be "gentle". I knew exactly what they expected and was pleased it did not immediately happen and the responses have been useful.

Of course, we and the OP will have the opportunity to observe some of your fellow countrymen but, as well, a lot of locals in one of those chains. Perhaps those locals are, in your view, making a poor choice. I have to admit thinking that in earlier, less experienced days. However, when a friend in Antwerp referred to the McDonald's on her street as the "American Embassy", I adjusted my position and tried to be less judgmental.

So we are thankful that those chains exist and, perhaps selfishly, that they allow us to continue our travels. Perhaps we are just not the sophisticated travellers that you expect, and for that we will have to accept your judgement.

Thank you for your input. I'm glad I'm not the only one that needs to feel confident in eating the familiar foods. I used Burger King as an example. There are so many different spices and ingredients in different foods that I would love to sample but can't take that risk. I do appreciate the suggestions made and have been looking into hotels with onsite restaurants that I can email for information

I'm glad I'm not the only one that needs to feel confident in eating the familiar foods. I used Burger King as an example.
But remember what's already been said: Don't delude yourself into thinking that something you buy in McDonalds or Burger King here is a "familiar food" in the food allergy sense, just because it's sold under the same name as something that you're used to eating at home.

I wonder whether it's possible that she may not have been using the term "American Embassy" in a positive or complimentary sense.

So we are thankful that those chains exist and, perhaps selfishly, that they allow us to continue our travels.
Are you really suggesting that if chains like McDonalds and Burger King did not exist, you wouldn't travel? If the problem is as severe as you make out, so that the existence of such restaurants in a place is a requirement for you to travel there, you'd have the same problem travelling within your own country without such chains.

There's a BK right across the street from the Gloucester Road Tube Station. It was a lifesaver when we were there with our kids and they wanted something familiar to eat after having eaten at a bunch of local places. There are some good hotels right there too, so if you can change your hotel location, this is a good area.

There's also one right by the Paddington Tube Station if you're coming in on the Heathrow Express or changing to a different route on the tube.

Back in the olden days, we saw the rise of the Little Chef chain of roadside restaurants; always adjacent to a garage. There were a lot of places, just as good or better that charges less for a meal, but they were consistent. When you are on a long drive with children in the car, it's nice to see somewhere familiar and reliable. You don't want gourmet food; just fuel so that's why we used them.

BK, KFC and McD are similar and ubiquitous. For someone who has allergies, lacks confidence with foreign languages, or just wants a quick snack, the golden arches are a welcome sight, especially at lunch time. At home I rarely use these places, but when touring, especially abroad, I confess to have eaten a few. I am not fazed by French, German or Italian menus, and I have no allergies, but sometimes convenience and speed is what you want. They are "fast food" after all.

I speak as someone who has eaten and enjoyed street food in Turkey and Egypt.

And for the OP; of course we understand - it's your holiday; eat what you want.

I wonder whether it's possible that she may not have been using the term "American Embassy" in a positive or complimentary sense.

Are you really suggesting that if chains like McDonalds and Burger King did not exist, you wouldn't travel? If the problem is as severe as you make out, so that the existence of such restaurants in a place is a requirement for you to travel there, you'd have the same problem travelling within your own country without such chains.

To your first point, it is possible, but I've known her a long time so I think she meant it both positively and perhaps slightly negatively. For example, last year we invited her to The Hilton Doubletree in Amsterdam for breakfast. I apologized for the venue but she wouldn't hear of it, commenting, "The Americans really know to do breakfast."

To expand the point, she has business interests in various countries in Europe (indeed around the world) and, much to my surprise at times, she sometimes sees the attempt to maintain, for example, an architectural heritage as limiting the modernization of certain cities. I love central Paris; she sees an urban area closed to all but the richest. While walking there, I don't think of the working class who are excluded from living there. To her, perhaps because she travels and lives widely across the world, her globalism is more universal than my limited view.

On your second point, if that's what you think I suggested I didn't make myself clear. I thought I was arguing that, if it weren't for cruises and their increasing attention to dietary issues, we wouldn't have the freedom to travel as we do. Whenever we have a post- or pre- cruise stay, there is the necessity of considerable research to make certain those dietary needs can be met off the boat. You will also notice that I described the fast food choice as being "in a pinch". You may well argue that I'm being overly dramatic about this but when travelling involves a specific schedule, say being at a port for embarkation or an airport for a flight, you don't want to have an "incident". Our task, and I took it be the OP's concern, is to alleviate through careful planning as much stress about this as possible.

We don't have a problem travelling in our own country, since McDonald's and BK are rather ubiquitous here in Canada. And it's the only time we frequent them.

I would also add that one negative of the consideration of allergies now found regularly on cruise ships is the attention one receives when, say, offered the next day's menu in the MDR. Perhaps the fear is unfounded, but we really try to keep a low profile lest being criticized for thinking we are "special". Am I correct in imaging that others may not realize the challenges we encounter while dealing with these issues?

We had a river cruise during which our enjoyment was severely limited by an uncomprehending Maitre' D. One more of those and you are correct, we wouldn't be travelling.

Edited by nordski

If you have a specific food allergy then it may also be worth checking the ingredient list for Macdonalds and Burger King in the UK as they do not always have the exact same ones as the US versions. Do not assume that because a food is safe to eat in the US it is safe for you here.

For example in the US fries are cooked in Soy and Canola oil, in the UK the are cooked in Sunflower and Rapeseed (Canola) oil.

Excellent point.

Fortunately the corporate web sites are usually very detailed on this and it makes research beforehand quite simple.