Buying bottles of alcohol on board vs drink package

larry_s_taco

Have always purchased some quantity of liquor or wine for the room on every cruise in the past. We have never had a drink package before. Prices are reasonable IMO (for liquor, wine not so much). Even having a drink package, we at least purchase a little something for the room that we can enjoy on the balcony. To me, it will probably be a small hassle/inconvenience to go the bar, buy the drink and haul it back to the room. I have a drink package for the first time in 2 weeks. We will give it a go, as they say. In the past, we just got liquor for the room, and had an occasional drink in the bars. On this next cruise, we still got a bottle for the room for the occasions when we don't want to go and get it with the drink package card.

Regarding purchasing a bottle of alcohol for your room, are you limited to the selections on Holland’s website. Their website does not offer a very large selection of hard liquor! Can you purchase a bottle of any type of booze that is available in the bars once you get on the ship?

Regarding purchasing a bottle of alcohol for your room, are you limited to the selections on Holland’s website. Their website does not offer a very large selection of hard liquor! Can you purchase a bottle of any type of booze that is available in the bars once you get on the ship?

From what I have read on this forum, the answer is yes. If the bars stock it, you can order it for the room. You can call HAL ahead of time and they will take the order also. I did this for a bottle of bourbon for DH on my last cruise. It was not on the list but they quoted a price and placed the order.

We have been able to do so on board. You call room service to order.

Our habit is to order bottles for the room for delivery on embarkation day. We enjoy a drink while getting dressed for dinner. Easy peasy, although a little overpriced.

Maybe a little bit overpriced, but nothing compared to Celebrity, where the same bottle will cost you twice as much.

Maybe a little bit overpriced, but nothing compared to Celebrity, where the same bottle will cost you twice as much.

Agree. HAL much more reasonable than Celebrity...or probably other lines. We all know it will cost more than home, but certainly not double or triple or quadruple the price. HAL seems to get a good profit/upcharge, but keeps it real for us......so far.

BUT...not for wine......very high prices IMO

PS I got the drink package with the Explore 4 promotion. Never had a drink package before, only ordered liquor for the room. So I will see how it works and when I get back from this next cruise will let everybody know how it went. Still ordered a bottle for the room, just for convenience, and it was not that much $$.....worth it IMO.

Yes

There was a time when Grey Goose was listed on HAL's site, then HAL stopped listing it. So we just waited until we got on the ship and ordered it then.

I am not sure but it may be back on HAL's site.

All good info. I do believe that I will order a bottle of liquor for the room, and then take a bottle of my favorite wine. It will be great not carrying drinks back from the bar to the balcony. It really seems more convenient:D.

It is very convenient.

We love having drinks out on the verandah -- watch the ocean for any sea life -- people watch when we get back on the ship, etc.

Agree. HAL much more reasonable than Celebrity...or probably other lines. We all know it will cost more than home, but certainly not double or triple or quadruple the price.

BUT...not for wine......very high prices IMO

I am surprised I travel a lot and the liquor prices on HAL and others are not that out of line compared to the prices in upscale hotels and restaurants...HAL is bargain to me.

West coast and east coast prices and other resort areas are to me more expensive a good Martini will run you 15 to 20 and wine 10 to 15 a glass a beer 6-10. In Europe I got 2 mixed drinks in a hotel bar for $75.00 ...... you need to look at the big picture you not at a neighborhood tavern /bar

I plan on buying a couple bottles for our Mediterranean cruise. I don't see where you could buy any type of mixer though...anyone know? Otherwise are you allowed cans or bottles of mixer to bring on the ship?

Thanks for any information...

I am surprised I travel a lot and the liquor prices on HAL and others are not that out of line compared to the prices in upscale hotels and restaurants...HAL is bargain to me.

West coast and east coast prices and other resort areas are to me more expensive a good Martini will run you 15 to 20 and wine 10 to 15 a glass a beer 6-10. In Europe I got 2 mixed drinks in a hotel bar for $75.00 ...... you need to look at the big picture you not at a neighborhood tavern /bar

I agree. When I visited California I almost needed oxygen when I saw the liquor prices in bars/restaurants. Had a $18 martini in San Francisco and took a picture of the thing for posterity. I sipped it slow-w-w-w-ly. I guess I am used to bottle prices here in the South, although at any large hotel, upscale restaurant, etc. in a large city, even in the South you will pay dearly.

HAL is very reasonable on liquor prices IMO.

I appreciate that HAL has reasonable prices for in-cabin beverages. I usually buy a particular bottle of liquor for my cabin, and on HAL that bottle costs $43.75. On Carnival, that same bottle for the cabin costs $85. I usually carry a plastic bottle of juice with me to use as a mixer along with bottled water.

Hawaiidan hello,

Have not seen any post from you for a long time. Enjoyed our cruise with you and your wife a few years ago. You are still knowledgeable about travel in all aspects.. Probably taking our last cruise this November as our years and legs are giving out. Keep cruising Dan.

Bud & Marianne