Internet questions

borinot2

My Boss was on the Escape back in April and took a 250 MB (?) Perk, and loggged on, then for got to log off.....burned it all up. Then on board, was offered unlimited for $82, took the offer and said it worked much better.

NCL ship's WiFi inTRAnet is free, WiFi inTERnet over satellite isn't free.

Between "expensive" and "free" one can plan accordingly, usually by selecting the "Free At Sea" options of 250 minutes plus any/all other offered promotions with additional airtime/MB data minutes in combination - and, take advantage of the extra Platinum/Plus 30 & 60 minutes (on a per person basis)

However, even for those upgraded the "unlimited" or "premium" plan for streaming & VPN, its coverage is only limited while "tethering" to the ship's signal and once stepped off the gangway and away from the cruise terminal, one will need to find coverage elsewhere, including open/unsecured & sometimes, questionable WiFi source(s) with a "purchase".

Walking around the ports, sometimes for 1/8 or 1/4 mile or more, looking for a signal isn't, IMHO, a smart or wise choice as a shore excursion activity.

Without question, RCL's "Voom" satellite-based WiFi broadband access is superior, faster & less pricey but it is NOT free either.

Make use of all those generous non-refundable OBC and/or don't choose the SDP or UBP option, which many will not give up. Or, scale down the use or desired needs for WiFi inTERnet access while at sea.

"Free" can be rather deceiving ...

I was falsely led to believe that internet in the library and NCL computers would be free. It isn't. There is no free internet anywhere on the ship. Even if I have a plan on my personal phone, once I get onto the ship it is blocked and I can't use it at all until I'm off the boat. That was a huge issue when we needed to check in for work back home and had no way to do so.... lesson learned.

I think NCL should have free WIFI! The cost is way to expensive!

They do have free wifi. What they don't have is free internet access. The two things are not the same.

Yes, I know I'm being nit-picky. But there is a difference, particularly as it is used on the ship. The NCL iConcierge app uses the free wifi and does not require you to have paid for internet access. Many people do not understand this.

With regard to free internet access, you can select that as on of your "free at sea" perks.

I was falsely led to believe that internet in the library and NCL computers would be free. It isn't. There is no free internet anywhere on the ship. Even if I have a plan on my personal phone, once I get onto the ship it is blocked and I can't use it at all until I'm off the boat. That was a huge issue when we needed to check in for work back home and had no way to do so.... lesson learned.

Who falsely led you to believe that internet was "Free"?

The ship does NOT block your use of your phone data plan. You can use it, so long as YOUR mobile carrier that support it. The ship certainly supports it (except the POA). Our carrier, AT&T supports it with standard international rate of about $800 per gigabyte.

If you needed internet/wifi, then you had a way of checking in for work back home, so there should have been NO huge issue. Just buy a small internet plan if it is really that important or really a huge issue.

Everyone agrees that this is a dumb post. You are on vacation, lots of things will cost a lot of money! However, some areas do have free internet service for everyone at home. All of Kansas City was wired for it, free. Learned this last year. I unfortunately do not live in KC, so pay my 200 a month cable and internet bill.

Wow you people are nasty! If my post is dumb carry on & don’t respond!

Not nasty, just find your post rather pointless and without any substance. If you have a credible issue about NCL then by all means post it with rationale, but saying internet should be free when it is charged for on most every cruise line and many hotel chains/resorts as well is well...dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow you people are nasty! If my post is dumb carry on & don’t respond!

I’m not commenting on your point, but you did title the post “internet questions” and then not actually ask any questions. I was genuinely wondering whether you forgot to actually ask something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk