Unlimited internet access

cthusky203

Some cruise companies offer unlimited internet access. Is anyone aware if Princess will be offering an unlimited package to purchase any time in the near future? We are sailing from LA to Sydney in September on the Golden Princess and would really like this option.

maybe.. what packages are they currently offering??

On the Golden sailing in September from LA, there are 4 quantities of minutes offered for purchase. There is no option to purchase unlimited usage which is what I would like to purchase.

Some cruise companies offer unlimited internet access. Is anyone aware if Princess will be offering an unlimited package to purchase any time in the near future? We are sailing from LA to Sydney in September on the Golden Princess and would really like this option.

Princess is currently not offering unlimited Internet on any cruises.

Exceptions include Platinum and Elite on Regal due to Ocean Medallion and bugs being worked out, so the P and E guests get unlimited versus the set amount of minutes like elsewhere. Not sure if one can purchase unlimited Internet onboard that particular ship.

Elsewhere, Princess was trialing various interest levels and packages on a couple ships, ie socal media package, streaming package, etc at different price points. It's been weeks since any posts or further info about these packages - they have not been expanded as yet.

So, currently, no, no unlimited Internet for purchase yet. Maybe sometime in the future, you have months till your cruise, but I wouldn't hold my breath - it's a major overhaul for onboard capabilities to handle the bandwidth, each ship would need to be upgraded (I remember cheerily adding it, it was a mess while ships were undergoing the change-over)..

Fingers crossed Princess gets onboard with this sooner rather than later. It's simply the way the world is moving..

Princess has been testing unlimited plans (with three different tiers of access) on what I believe are now three ships (Regal, Coral and Grand--though don't hold me to that list). No way to know if any other ships are on the list. But I would consider it highly unlikely to be offered on a Transpacific cruise with so many sea days. And if you are asking due to an essential need to remain connected for work, school, or family issues be aware that there could easily be gaps in satellite coverage in the remote areas of the Pacific.

Exceptions include Platinum and Elite on Regal due to Ocean Medallion and bugs being worked out, so the P and E guests get unlimited versus the set amount of minutes like elsewhere. Not sure if one can purchase unlimited Internet onboard that particular ship.

Elsewhere, Princess was trialing various interest levels and packages on a couple ships, ie socal media package, streaming package, etc at different price points. It's been weeks since any posts or further info about these packages - they have not been expanded as yet.

So, currently, no, no unlimited Internet for purchase yet. Maybe sometime in the future, you have months till your cruise, but I wouldn't hold my breath - it's a major overhaul for onboard capabilities to handle the bandwidth, each ship would need to be upgraded (I remember cheerily adding it, it was a mess while ships were undergoing the change-over)..

Fingers crossed Princess gets onboard with this sooner rather than later. It's simply the way the world is moving..

Thanks. I was hoping that the band width was increased during the recent dry dock in Singapore so that it would be offered.

Thanks. I was hoping that the band width was increased during the recent dry dock in Singapore so that it would be offered.

All reports are that Princess has been proceeding with scheduled technology upgrades despite the Ocean Medallion program (which would have included new packages of faster internet access) being severely delayed. So you may have more reliable speeds (coverage permitting) but no less costly than the existing per minute plans.

The ship was wired for it. I don't think they have turned it on though.

A friend is on Transatlantic on Regal and he is getting unlimited internet. So it is offered on Transatlantics.

The ship was wired for it. I don't think they have turned it on though.

A friend is on Transatlantic on Regal and he is getting unlimited internet. So it is offered on Transatlantics.

I think it is only offered on the Regal as an apology to those not getting the Ocean Medallion

I think it is only offered on the Regal as an apology to those not getting the Ocean Medallion

Correct. And by all reports, once ***** is actually fully implemented , Platinum and Elites will be back to some measured amount of minutes, whether a set amount or discount off unlimited package or whatnot. Remains to be seen how it plays out..

It is being given as the Platinum/Elite benefit due to the above reason.

But it is offered for purchase by everyone else onboard because it was planned that way, to coincide with Ocean Medallion.

It was reported just in the last week or so being offered for purchase on Coral Princess starting this summer in Alaska. And has been since late last year on Grand Princess. Independent of the ***** program.

Now the other ships that had been announced as part of the now-delayed ***** program (Royal, Caribbean, Island, Golden, possibly others) are between a rock and a hard place as it relates to the new three tiered unlimited internet. Is Princess going to wait for ***** to expand before adding the new internet to those ships--thus depriving those who would purchase it even if the new wiring is in place? Seems they have chosen to go all-or-nothing despite the apparent demand.

If anyone has sailed on the Grand (where they offer some unlimited packages) - what is the perk or price for Elites? I'll be on there later this year.

I’d also like to know the difference in the packages. We are sailing on The Grand and they are offering several packages to purchase online, including unlimited ‘social’ and a ‘surf’ unlimited package which doesn’t include streaming. I’d like to know if you can view emails on the social package or is this only possible on the ‘surf’ option?

Not true. Some ships and cruises have converted to a high speed internet and are offering three different unlimited packages. Platinum and Elite are currently getting the middle speed package as their perk. Unfortunately most ships are still on the slow "per minute" deal as they wait for the ships to be converted to the unlimited system.

On the ships that have the unlimited options, the difference is the speed and bandwidth you'll get. You can do e-mail and minimal use applications with all three packages. The more intense downloading you want to do, the better package you'll want. It is also rumored that your speed may be varied by the system during busy times.

On the ships that have the unlimited options' date=' the difference is the speed and bandwidth you'll get. You can do e-mail and minimal use applications with all three packages. The more intense downloading you want to do, the better package you'll want. It is also rumored that your speed may be varied by the system during busy times.[/quote']

Thanks for the info, so we’ll be able to view emails on the cheapest social package - great. We only want to view emails and be able to print off our boarding cards for our flight home on the last day ;).

Thanks for the info, so we’ll be able to view emails on the cheapest social package - great. We only want to view emails and be able to print off our boarding cards for our flight home on the last day ;).

The cheapest package will be fine for this. If you are on a ship that is still on "per minute," they offered a last day package for $8.99 so that you could print your boarding passes. That would work IF it is sufficient to check your e-mails while in port.

I am elite on the Regal and it is fast and free. To my knowledge this is the only ship to date in their fleet. Free for elite and platinum but you can buy a package for others for about $9.50 a day if for whole cruise or about $14.50 if just for a day or two. Proceeding is for 1 device but you can easily switch between iPhone and iPad for no extra charge. Then also have package prices for families but I didn’t pay any attention. It is ver fast except for a day or two when they were switching from American to European satellites for first time. My understanding from CC meeting is Caribbean Princess is next. They tend to mix internet and ***** together since ***** isn’t working well so when they said the had stopped work on Regal until it returns to States in the Fall with less than 20% done they said next up for ***** was Caribbean Princess I think what they meant was high speed Internet and no more minute packages. Last is a guess. Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it depends on how you view your e-mails as to whether or not you can do so from the social package.

Among ways e-mails can be viewed:

a) an e-mail program such as Outlook (Windows) or Safari (Apple)

b) a web page such as Yahoo or Hormail or AOL

c) via a link to your Internet provider such as Comcast or Roadrunner

d) mail2web.com which works with most Internet provider e-mail systems

I suspect not all of these (plus others I did not list) will be able to be used with the social package.

If anyone has sailed on the Grand (where they offer some unlimited packages) - what is the perk or price for Elites? I'll be on there later this year.

Someone posted on another thread that for those with the Platinum/Elite Internet perk that you still get the same number of minutes as in the past with an option to upgrade to an unlimited package at a discounted rate.

Princess has been testing unlimited plans (with three different tiers of access) on what I believe are now three ships (Regal, Coral and Grand--though don't hold me to that list). No way to know if any other ships are on the list. But I would consider it highly unlikely to be offered on a Transpacific cruise with so many sea days. And if you are asking due to an essential need to remain connected for work, school, or family issues be aware that there could easily be gaps in satellite coverage in the remote areas of the Pacific.

Why? It is priced on a daily basis, so the longer the cruise the more days you pay for.