Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:34 PM.
Raleigh, N.C.
12,297 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
We booked our air through Princess as well. It was half the price of what I was seeing through the major travel websites and airline websites. In our case, we had to change planes both going and coming back. American Airlines has the only direct flight to London from our airport (RDU) and that wasn't discounted through Princess EZAir. We did not book the cruise until June 22 and added the air four days later.
San Francisco, CA
47 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by FishinChris
I mostly used the 10-22mm wide angle. But I also used a 24mm prime, 50mm prime, and 100-400L Telephoto. I believe if you click on my pictures it will take you to the Flicker website that is hosting them and from there you can find which lens I used for each picture. Thanks for the kind words.
Thank you so much for the info! I'm just beginning in photography and still trying to learn what lenses are best for which shots. On my last trip I found my 10-22mm gave me most of my favorite shots and I had never used it before. I'm going to stalk your photos to study up before my next trip.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[url=http://www.cruisecritic.com]
Lighthouse Point, FL USA
1,253 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
Next stop was the Carrick-a-rede rope bridge. There are a lot of stairs to climb down that you have to climb back up to go out.

British Isle 2017-674.jpg

Queuing up to cross the bridge.

British Isle 2017-679.jpg

The views were fantastic while we waited to cross.

British Isle 2017-681.jpg

Crossing the bridge.

British Isle 2017-687.jpg

This was taken at a harbor down the road from the rope bridge.

British Isle 2017-729.jpg

Next up will be Giants Causeway.
Chris, if we don't cross the bridge, will we really be missing out? Some in our party would have a hard time, and we are trying to decide if we should make them wait for us, or to just enjoy the view and skip the crossing the bridge.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anita
Celebrity, Eclipse British Isles. 8/2018
RC, Allure of the Sea Eastern Caribbean 1/15/2017
Celebrity, Equinox Caribbean 1/22/2016
Celebrity, Eclipse Iceland Norway 6-2015
RC, Independence of the Sea, Caribbean 1-31-13
Celebrity, Summit New England/Canada 10-6-2012
RC, Southern Caribbean 4-29-2012
Celebrity, Summit Western Caribbean 1-28-2012
NCL Star, Bahamas 11-14-2011
Celebrity, Infinity, Panama Canal (Seattle to Ft. Lauderdale) 09-2010
RC, Radiance of the Sea, Alaska Cruise and Land Tour 9-2008
RC Carib/Jamaica 1-08
Celebrity, Mercury, Pacific NW 10-07
RC, Seranade of the Sea, Southern Caribbean 12-2007
Celebrity, Millennium, The Med 5-2006
RC, Legend of the Sea, Hawaii 4-2004
RC, EOS, Mexico 1-2003
Norwegian, Bahamas 11-2003
Celebrity, Summit, Alaska Cruise and Land Tour 8-2002
USA
5,561 Posts
Joined May 2012
Good question about the bridge. I am wondering the same thing. I hope to see an answer soon. We have this cruise in the planning stage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
You can view my wife's cruise pictures on her website Nancy's Oasis and individual cruise links below my cruise countdown.

2016 Christmas Liberty of the Seas
2016 14 day Alaska Maasdam Ketchikan,Juneau,Dawes,Icy Strait Point,Anchorage,Homer,Kodiak,Hubbard,Sitka, Victoria,BC
2015 Christmas Adventure of the Seas St. Croix, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, Dominica, Barbados
2014 Christmas Island Princess ~ Partial Panama Canal with Columbia, Costa Rica, Grand Cayman, Aruba
2013 Christmas Adventure of the Seas ~ So.Caribbean St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, and Curacao
2012 Christmas Mariner of the Seas ~ W.Caribbean Cozumel (Tulum) Jamaica, and Grand Cayman
2012 Radiance of the Seas ~ Alaska Southbound Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Hubbard Glacier
2011 Christmas Mariner of the Seas ~ W. Caribbean Belize (Lamanai), Roatan, Costa Maya (Kohunlich), Cozumel
2011 Carnival Ecstasy ~ Western Caribbean Cozumel and Progresso (Chichen Itza)
2011 Carnival Ecstasy Owners Suite Visit from the Upsell Fairy - 916 sq ft of paradise!

2011 Carnival Conquest ~ Eastern Caribbean Nassau, Freeport, Key West
2010 Caribbean Princess ~ NE/Canada Upgrade Fairy Visit FREE PH Suite - Newport,Boston,Bar Harbor,St. John,Halifax
2009 Star Princess ~ Alaska Inside Passage Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Tracy Arm
2008 Christmas Carnival Ecstasy ~ Western Caribbean Progreso (Uxmal) Cozumel
2007 Carnival Conquest ~ Western Caribbean Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel
58 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
I was at Carrick-a-rede ( same sailing as Chris). I walked all the way towards the bridge ( about 10 minutes). A staff from the Park suggested to me that if I did not want to cross the bridge, I could take the pathway to the right up the slope and enjoy the scenery there. A short and gentle climb up the slope will get you to the dead end of the pathway and I recall there is a bench for you to sit. The view of the bridge from there is really great. I am attempting to post a photo taken from that vantage point. Hope it works

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3122.jpg (2.9 KB, 84 views)
USA
5,561 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by tiqittaq
I was at Carrick-a-rede ( same sailing as Chris). I walked all the way towards the bridge ( about 10 minutes). A staff from the Park suggested to me that if I did not want to cross the bridge, I could take the pathway to the right up the slope and enjoy the scenery there. A short and gentle climb up the slope will get you to the dead end of the pathway and I recall there is a bench for you to sit. The view of the bridge from there is really great. I am attempting to post a photo taken from that vantage point. Hope it works

This picture is quite small and hard to make out. Can you post a larger picture? Thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
You can view my wife's cruise pictures on her website Nancy's Oasis and individual cruise links below my cruise countdown.

2016 14 day Alaska Maasdam Ketchikan,Juneau,Dawes,Icy Strait Point,Anchorage,Homer,Kodiak,Hubbard,Sitka, Victoria,BC
2015 Christmas Adventure of the Seas St. Croix, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, Dominica, Barbados
2014 Christmas Island Princess ~ Partial Panama Canal with Columbia, Costa Rica, Grand Cayman, Aruba
2013 Christmas Adventure of the Seas ~ So.Caribbean St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, and Curacao
2012 Christmas Mariner of the Seas ~ W.Caribbean Cozumel (Tulum) Jamaica, and Grand Cayman
2012 Radiance of the Seas ~ Alaska Southbound Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Hubbard Glacier
2011 Christmas Mariner of the Seas ~ W. Caribbean Belize (Lamanai), Roatan, Costa Maya (Kohunlich), Cozumel
2011 Carnival Ecstasy Owners Suite Visit from the Upsell Fairy - 916 sq ft of paradise!

2010 Caribbean Princess ~ NE/Canada Upgrade Fairy Visit FREE PH Suite - Newport,Boston,Bar Harbor,St. John,Halifax
2009 Star Princess ~ Alaska Inside Passage Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Tracy Arm
USA
5,561 Posts
Joined May 2012
Most of the cruisers had booked the Military Tattoo in Edinburgh while we were in Greenock. Our departure time was 2 am to allow passengers to return to the ship after the Tattoo.

We didn’t go to the Tattoo but booked an all day Highlands photo tour with Photo Walk Scotland. http://www.photowalkscotland.com/

I requested from our guide Tom that we get to experience Scotland and hopefully get some good photos. Tom accepted our challenge and came through again and again. This was the best tour we had on our whole 17 day trip. We were truly blown away by how beautiful the highlands are. The scenery was breathtaking, Our guide was more then qualified for leading us on this tour. As well as being an talented photographer Tom has his MA Hons in Social and Economic History. It was just the 2 of us with our guide all day. We left the ship at 7am and returned after midnight.

Our First stop, Kilchurn Castle on Loch Awe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilchurn_Castle

British Isle 2017-824.jpg

Photo of the photographer taking photos

untitled shoot-1145.jpg

It really did look like this! This isn't photoshop!

untitled shoot-1159.jpg

British Isle 2017-837.jpg

This one is my favorite. My wife took this one with her Olympus camera on the auto settings.

untitled shoot-1166.jpg

Coming up more highlands, lots more.
Thanks for the link. I took a look at the website but don't see the name of your tour listed. Was it discontinued?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Davidson, NC
1,410 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Fabulous pictures--you have a great eye. We did the British Isles cruise with Princess two years ago, and I have also traveled several times to Scotland and Ireland on land trips so I recognize many of the places from your photos. You really captured the images as well as the spirit of these special places. Thanks for sharing your trip and allowing me to relive some great memories.
Northern California
262 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by itsanita
Chris, if we don't cross the bridge, will we really be missing out? Some in our party would have a hard time, and we are trying to decide if we should make them wait for us, or to just enjoy the view and skip the crossing the bridge.

I don’t think you would be missing out on anything by not crossing the bridge. The best view is where janette went. Have fun on your trip!

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Red-On...h/154931482441
Northern California
262 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by JimAOk1945
Thanks for the link. I took a look at the website but don't see the name of your tour listed. Was it discontinued?

The tour was generated by emails to Photo Walk Scotland with the time requirements we had for each port. So you could say they were customized to us. It was the best tour of our whole trip in fact we are going back to Scotland just to do a photo workshop with Tom (it’s his company)at the Isle of Skye. Best thing to do is send him an email letting him know when, where, and what you want to see. Have a great trip!

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Northern California
262 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by HRPro
Fabulous pictures--you have a great eye. We did the British Isles cruise with Princess two years ago, and I have also traveled several times to Scotland and Ireland on land trips so I recognize many of the places from your photos. You really captured the images as well as the spirit of these special places. Thanks for sharing your trip and allowing me to relive some great memories.

Thank you for your kind comments.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

USA
4,462 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Lovely photo journal! Brought back so many wonderful memories. I've been to all those spots except Glasgow (our BI cruise went to Edinburgh instead). I highly recommend the Edinburgh Military Tattoo - was a real highlight of my trip.

All those ports and London offer such rich experiences that shouldn't be missed. Glad you had a great trip.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life's Milestones are Best Celebrated in Nautical Miles.

Oceania Insignia 1-2019 (World Cruise - 161 days)
Ruby Princess 9-2018 (Seattle-Vancouver - 1 day) **Elite**
Ruby Princess 9-2018 (Northern California Coastal - 7 days)
Oceania Insignia 12-2017 (Cuba - 7 days)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regal Princess 11-2017 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)
Caribbean Princess 3-2017 (Southern Caribbean - 8 days)
Celebrity Silhouette 8-2016 (British Isles, Guernsey, Belgium, Amsterdam - 14 days)
Grand Princess 11-2015 (Hawaii - 15 days)

Celebrity Infinity 10-2014 (TA - England, Azores, Bermuda, Bahamas - 14 days)
Celebrity Reflection 3-2014 (Eastern Caribbean - 7 days)
Crown Princess 7-2013 (Baltics/Russia - 14 days)
Emerald Princess 3-2012 (Eastern Caribbean - 10 days)
Caribbean Princess 6-2011 (Canada/New England - 9 days)
Crown Princess 9-2010 (TA - British Isles, Iceland, Greenland, Canada - 14 days)
Coral Princess 12-2008 (Full Panama Canal, Central America, Mexico - 14 days)
Sun Princess 9-2007 (Alaska - 7 days)
Carnival Paradise 9-2003 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)
Carnival Fantasy 1-1990 (Bahamas - 4 days)
Carnival Holiday 12-1989 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)

Lighthouse Point, FL USA
1,253 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
I don’t think you would be missing out on anything by not crossing the bridge. The best view is where janette went. Have fun on your trip!

thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anita
Celebrity, Eclipse British Isles. 8/2018
RC, Allure of the Sea Eastern Caribbean 1/15/2017
Celebrity, Equinox Caribbean 1/22/2016
Celebrity, Eclipse Iceland Norway 6-2015
RC, Independence of the Sea, Caribbean 1-31-13
Celebrity, Summit New England/Canada 10-6-2012
RC, Southern Caribbean 4-29-2012
Celebrity, Summit Western Caribbean 1-28-2012
NCL Star, Bahamas 11-14-2011
Celebrity, Infinity, Panama Canal (Seattle to Ft. Lauderdale) 09-2010
RC, Radiance of the Sea, Alaska Cruise and Land Tour 9-2008
RC Carib/Jamaica 1-08
Celebrity, Mercury, Pacific NW 10-07
RC, Seranade of the Sea, Southern Caribbean 12-2007
Celebrity, Millennium, The Med 5-2006
RC, Legend of the Sea, Hawaii 4-2004
RC, EOS, Mexico 1-2003
Norwegian, Bahamas 11-2003
Celebrity, Summit, Alaska Cruise and Land Tour 8-2002
Batehaven, Australia
10,443 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Thanks for the photos, great job you did. We are doing the same cruise on Royal next year and also did it in 2009 on Crown. We also always rent a car and do a few weeks car touring which is great, staying in the old pubs.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 460 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Next: (We were booked on Adonia x 2, but they sold the ship on us.)
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
866 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Great review and pictures. Thank you for doing this. We have this cruise booked for next July. Your pictures are getting us even more excited.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Prior Cruises
Royal Princess - September 2017 (Back to Back Mediterranean)
Regal Princess - July 2015 (Scandinavia and Russia)
River Splendor – August 2013 (Budapest to Amsterdam/River Cruise)
Crown Princess – June 2012 (Mediterranean)
Crown Princess - June 2009 (Mediterranean/Europe)
Tahitian Princess - September 2007 (South Pacific)
Grand Princess - June 2006 (Mediterranean)
Sea Princess - April 2000 (Western Caribbean)
Grand Princess - May 1999 (Eastern Caribbean)
HAL Maasdam - October 1998 (Columbia River)
Celebrity Mercury - April 1998 (Western Caribbean)
RCCL Song of America - March 1997 (Mexican Riviera)
Carnival Sensation - March 1996 (Eastern Caribbean)
RCCL Monarch - May 1994 (Southern Caribbean)
NCL Seaward - April 1993 (Western Caribbean)
NCL Westward - April 1992 (Mexican Riviera)
NCL Norway - May 1990 (Eastern Caribbean)
Canada
105 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
We were there just in time, the bells were silenced the following week.

British Isle 2017-084.jpg

We recommend going to Westminster Abbey first thing in the morning to avoid the lines. No photography is allowed inside any of the cathedrals in London. It was quite the experience not to be missed.

British Isle 2017-144.jpg

Photographers everywhere!

British Isle 2017-169.jpg

British Isle 2017-175.jpg

The Banqueting Hall was pretty awesome. https://www.hrp.org.uk/banqueting-house/#gs.cSI6lDQ

British Isle 2017-185.jpg

My family and I are doing this cruise next year but it ports out of Paris. Does anybody know how long the trip is from the London port right into London?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Northern California
262 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by kafraser78
My family and I are doing this cruise next year but it ports out of Paris. Does anybody know how long the trip is from the London port right into London?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would give yourself 2 hours for travel time each way from South Hampton. That would give you maybe 4 or 5 hours in London.

Have a nice trip!

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature