Celebrity Beyond

dkjretired

judging by the up close photos that Lloyd has posted. the lifeboats don't seem to be hanging over the sides. They appear to be over the lower / wide part of the hull.

Edge lifeboats don't overhang, it's the solstice class boats that do. Millennium and Edge class don't have the issue.

Anyone have info on first steel cutting for Beyond.

I've been wondering the same thing. It is set to join the fleet in Spring of 2020. That's now just 2 years away. Seems like it should be soon.

Steel cutting ceremony for the EDGE was 11/21/2016, roughly 24 months prior to delivery. Given an approximately 20-24 month build timeline for Beyond from steel cutting to delivery I think we can assume 1 or 2 of 3 things:

1) Steel cutting has quietly begun but Celebrity will make no official announcements until after delivery of EDGE

2) Beyond will debut later than planned

3) The build time will be significantly shorter than EDGE

I personally think we are looking at a combination of 1&2. I have a feeling Celebrity does not want to get too far into construction of Beyond until after EDGE has entered service and they see how some elements of the ship actually perform, or what the reaction to them is by guests. At the same time there may be elements of Beyond that have already been produced (hull plating, etc) and are sitting awaiting Keel laying/assembly. There is a certain efficiency in producing multiples of elements when building sister ships.

Steel cutting ceremony for the EDGE was 11/21/2016, roughly 24 months prior to delivery. Given an approximately 20-24 month build timeline for Beyond from steel cutting to delivery I think we can assume 1 or 2 of 3 things:

1) Steel cutting has quietly begun but Celebrity will make no official announcements until after delivery of EDGE

2) Beyond will debut later than planned

3) The build time will be significantly shorter than EDGE

I personally think we are looking at a combination of 1&2. I have a feeling Celebrity does not want to get too far into construction of Beyond until after EDGE has entered service and they see how some elements of the ship actually perform, or what the reaction to them is by guests. At the same time there may be elements of Beyond that have already been produced (hull plating, etc) and are sitting awaiting Keel laying/assembly. There is a certain efficiency in producing multiples of elements when building sister ships.

Celebrity will not likely change the basic design that would effect the steel cutting and dimensions of the ship. Perhaps some minor design tweaking after Edge Sea Trials?

I was thinking more in terms of the layout and flow of public spaces, etc. I will also be interested to see if the magic carpet makes it to additional ships in the class or not.

Yes- the MC might just be a novelty for the Edge. It will be interesting to see what happens there.

Yes- the MC might just be a novelty for the Edge. It will be interesting to see what happens there.

I would agree that the Magic Carpet (MC) might just be a novelty for the Edge ... EXCEPT for the fact that it facilitates tendering. X has taken a lot of heat for tendering delays into certain ports. (E.g., I believe the Cayman is still a tendering port.)

I do not see how there could be an effective alternate to the MC for Beyond at this late date.

JMO.

I remember being told that the first two ships in any new design that Celebrity buys will always be identical. After that there will be changes possible. Based on that I thinki a magic carpet will be on Beyond, however after that who knows?

I would agree that the Magic Carpet (MC) might just be a novelty for the Edge ... EXCEPT for the fact that it facilitates tendering. X has taken a lot of heat for tendering delays into certain ports. (E.g., I believe the Cayman is still a tendering port.)

I do not see how there could be an effective alternate to the MC for Beyond at this late date.

JMO.

There is the possibility they could build retractable tendering platforms like existing ships have that would facilitate direct tendering from the Destination Gateway to the Edge launches without the need for stairs, etc - The Magic Carpet is not necessary for this function. I'll be interested how the Magic Carpet affects the stability of the ship and airflow along the side of the ship in high winds, rough seas, etc. I also wonder how the structure will affect aerodynamics of the ship and fuel consumption. Long term I think it makes it to Beyond, but not Edge class III, IV, V as the bean counters will dislike the extra cost it will entail in fuel and maintenance.

There is the possibility they could build retractable tendering platforms like existing ships have that would facilitate direct tendering from the Destination Gateway to the Edge launches without the need for stairs, etc - The Magic Carpet is not necessary for this function. I'll be interested how the Magic Carpet affects the stability of the ship and airflow along the side of the ship in high winds, rough seas, etc. I also wonder how the structure will affect aerodynamics of the ship and fuel consumption. Long term I think it makes it to Beyond, but not Edge class III, IV, V as the bean counters will dislike the extra cost it will entail in fuel and maintenance.

I wonder about these same questions..the whole thing makes the ship seem out of balance...but I assume the engineers and builders have it worked out on paper and in simulations.... Seems more trouble than its worth.

I wonder about noise from MC. 1) the sound of wind buffeting the plexiglass railing and ceiling 2) sounds of the mechanics that raise and lower the MC 3) sound of people and music when positioned at the top and on deck 5. Also wonder about impact on ability of many cabins to see forward or aft given how far out that section juts out. I like a balcony/veranda cabin to enjoy the solitude and sound of the ocean as the ship moves. I also wonder if there are limits on when they can use the MC for dinner or drinks... if the wind is high and ocean is rough. We will learn soon enough but nothing ventured nothing gained.... Also... given the 'don't throw anything overboard' mantra... how many napkins etc will blow overboard on the MC.