Port or Starboard?

jdyer09

We are cruising on the Magic in February with our first balcony, but and are currently Port-side. Would you stay here or move to the otherside. Its the Eastern Carib. itinearary, if that matters. Does anyone know which side the ship docks on, or which side is better in port?

I know its a matter of personal opinion, but I just wanted to ask!

Thank you!

We are cruising on the Magic in February with our first balcony, but and are currently Port-side. Would you stay here or move to the otherside. Its the Eastern Carib. itinearary, if that matters. Does anyone know which side the ship docks on, or which side is better in port?

Thank you!

It makes absolutely no difference. You have a 50/50 chance of facing the port. There are many factors including how many ships are in port that particular day.

Sometimes the ship even turns around and backs in instead of going head first...this happened to us twice. Once when we were in Cozumel, where we wanted to watch the famous pier runners from our balcony. :eek:

As SUSIE says it doesn't really matter. There are so many factors which determine whether the ship heads in to its berth or swings around in the turning basin and backs in to her berth.

Then one would have to determine if you want to look at the harbor with its other ships and boats or watch the debarking and embarking of passengers instead.

Its always something. :D

It doesn't really matter :) We have had balconies on both sides of the ship. Like the previous reply noted you never know which side of the pier you will be on. Watching pier runners in Cozumel is always fun to see :eek:

I've always chosen the wrong one. If "I" choose port...we will port in starboard, if "I" choose starboard we will port in port side.

My favorite is whichever side is to the ported side of the ship...I like watching the people come back from the dock. They can be interesting sometimes. :p.

Worse case scenerio you're looking at water...If you're traveling with friends get cabins on the opposite sides...whoever gets the ported side has the "party".

Enjoy whichever one.

It could change at any time; but I will say that after all of my cruises - if I am doing a Western Caribbean itinerary, I go with Port. If I am choosing an Eastern (our of Florida) and going the "true" Eastern itinerary - I choose Starboard. Seems to have worked out for me each time to be on the appropriate side of the ship to watch the pier runners. :D

I've always chosen the wrong one. If "I" choose port...we will port in starboard, if "I" choose starboard we will port in port side.

I was thinking about asking this question too today. I was in the process of booking a B2B for next year, and want to have the best chance to face the pier. I also love watching the pier runners from our balcony.

Oh well, I guess I will throw the dice...

Kevin C

I think that Port or Starboard does matter, a lot, but not for how the ship docks in port.

I consider which side for the view approaching or departing the port, not which way our cabin might be facing while we're ashore.

If I'm looking at the right itinerary, the only port I have recent experience with is Nassau, and I would choose Port, as you get a view of the lighthouse and The Atlantis as you come into port.

gary

I think that Port or Starboard does matter, a lot, but not for how the ship docks in port.

I consider which side for the view approaching or departing the port, not which way our cabin might be facing while we're ashore.

If I'm looking at the right itinerary, the only port I have recent experience with is Nassau, and I would choose Port, as you get a view of the lighthouse and The Atlantis as you come into port.

gary

Does it not follow that the view you MISS coming INTO the port will be the view you'll GET when LEAVING the port? :D

gary

Very often the ship will turn around coming into port.

Besides like to look at both sides so up on deck for us is the place to be.

I've been on both sides and agree with the majority---it really doesn't matter. According to "legend" it DID matter with the early luxury liners of the past. Since the ships traveled close to the land in the event of an emergency, those who traveled from Europe to Asia (as a means of transportation) wanted to see the sights. Those in the know would book cabins on each side for the trip out and home. Just as today, the ships would charge more for the "better" cabins. This was supposedly the origin of the word POSH - PORT OUT, STARBOARD HOME!

I've been on both sides and agree with the majority---it really doesn't matter. According to "legend" it DID matter with the early luxury liners of the past. Since the ships traveled close to the land in the event of an emergency, those who traveled from Europe to Asia (as a means of transportation) wanted to see the sights. Those in the know would book cabins on each side for the trip out and home. Just as today, the ships would charge more for the "better" cabins. This was supposedly the origin of the word POSH - PORT OUT, STARBOARD HOME!

Never heard that explanation for port and starboard before. Interesting but would have thought that term would have been much older than that.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone! I am thinking about an eastern Caribbean cruise in August with RCI. I like to spend time catching the sun in my cabin on sea days. It looks to me like the best choice would be port side for the return trip to Fort Lauderdale. Does that sound right? I've never done this type of cruise before. Many thanks for any comments.

Never heard that explanation for port and starboard before. Interesting but would have thought that term would have been much older than that.

From back when they used a steering oar instead of a rudder. The oar was on the right side and the term changed from steobord to starboard. The always tied up on the side away from the steering oar...ergo the port side. I was a Sea Cadet and it could be a sea story...LOL

I love being on the side next to the port no matter when the steering oar is.

Is this the same case for a Mediterranean, Hawaiian, or Alaskan cruise...great question OP...Hi Stu...Sarah

For our upcoming Med cruise from Venice to Barcelona we were advised by our TA to pick port side as you can enjoy the best sail away views leaving Venice from that side. I did a CC search and lots of people confirmed that. If we had been sailing into Venice, starboard side woud have been better. But if your cruise is a round trip, it may not matter.

Is this the same case for a Mediterranean, Hawaiian, or Alaskan cruise...great question OP...Hi Stu...Sarah

I'm just guessing here since I've never been on one, but as I understand it, Alaskan cruises ride the coast. Assuming you want to see the coast: if you are heading north you'd want to be starboard and if you're heading south you'd want to be port.

Thank you!

Depends on ports of call, in Cozumel and Key West, seems like I remember docking on starboard side. Caymans, Jamaica, you tender in, so doesn't matter. The one time we did the Eastern Caribbean, seems like most were tenders as well, except San Juan, but I can't remember which side there.

In any event, you will definitely enjoy the balcony, only problem, one you go balcony, you can never go back, hooked on 'em for life.

Mimgan

Archived