Mold on the Breakaway?

Agree... In the interim I'm sure they have those floor fans going. A bit of an inconvenience to passengers in those areas....but they've been on some of my cruises as well (with normal weather!1)
Someone reported that there were some wet carpet and they had the fans on them.

Saline (salt) will kill mold spores, provided the saline is kept in liquid form. The mold has the same dilemma as a person, drink the salt water and dehydrate only the mold is compelled to drink and will. It will die due to dehydration. The issue is, they want the ship dried as quickly as possible so there may not be time enough for this to work, saline is corrosive to wood, metal and textiles. I will be closely watching the reactions of people on the ship, I may be having a conversation with NCL regarding our March cruise.

Saline (salt) will kill mold spores, provided the saline is kept in liquid form. The mold has the same dilemma as a person, drink the salt water and dehydrate only the mold is compelled to drink and will. It will die due to dehydration. The issue is, they want the ship dried as quickly as possible so there may not be time enough for this to work, saline is corrosive to wood, metal and textiles. I will be closely watching the reactions of people on the ship, I may be having a conversation with NCL regarding our March cruise.
Thanks for the 411 and hopefully the FB poster who was telling folks that there would be mold will go back and correct that information. BTW, you taught me something new...thanks.

what? sea water is not saline. two totally different things.

Reread my original post.

SEA water (unsterile) is not saline (sterile). you can get tons of infections from sea water. it's dirty.

Reread my original post.

SEA water (unsterile) is not saline (sterile). you can get tons of infections from sea water. it's dirty.

You said "sea water is not saline".

I quote the USGS at https://water.usgs.gov/edu/saline.html, "Naturally, when you think of saline water you think of the oceans." and "and all that saline water sitting offshore of our coasts".

Seems clear, ocean water, aka seawater, is saline.

Edited by Zenica

You said "sea water is not saline".

I quote the USGS at https://water.usgs.gov/edu/saline.html, "Naturally, when you think of saline water you think of the oceans." and "and all that saline water sitting offshore of our coasts".

Seems clear, ocean water, aka seawater, is saline.

devil is in the details. as they said, NaCl in pure sterile water suspension is saline (NS). i know that NS can be processed from sea water or other natural water resources. but sea water =/= NS.

if you squirt sea water into your contact lens, you may get a psuedomonal infection, eye may ulcerate, and you can go blind. if you squirt NS into your eyes with contact lens, nothing will happen (maybe irritation if you squirt it hard).

by your definition, soda, which has NaCl too and other tasty "impurities," can be NS too. I can understand the confusion, but sea water with all its impurities is not NS in the real world as they have very different effects on the body.

Edited by CruisingUS

I answered on another thread about the BA, but can't find the post now, about the mold issues. Someone said that there was no way the carpets could be dried in time to stop mold. I said that I once had a cabin that was flooded 2' deep from a broken sprinkler, and we had that dried in 8 hours, using a moisture content meter. I also stated that I've seen an article by an environmental engineer who works in mold remediation that said that laboratories can take 48-72 hours, under ideal conditions, to start mold formation, and that an admittedly less than scientific experiment using wet dry wall hadn't grown mold in 18 days.

As for carpet renewal, there is no linkage between an upcoming drydock and not renewing carpeting that had been wet. Carpet renewal is a constant thing, the ship has rolls of it onboard, and wet carpet is renewed all the time.

As for carpet renewal, there is no linkage between an upcoming drydock and not renewing carpeting that had been wet. Carpet renewal is a constant thing, the ship has rolls of it onboard, and wet carpet is renewed all the time.

With the availability of the UBP, I think that may be an understatement!

Silly discussion on the semantics of the word saline. YES, saline means SALT. But as most people in today's age of contact lenses and Doctor Television shows when someone says SALINE they usually mean the Isotonic solution of Sodium Chloride in water. Also the term SALINE connotes some form of cleanliness if not sterility.of a solution intended for use somewhere in or on the human body.

Sure SEA WATER is a salinated form of water. It is what the ocean or SEA is made of. Is it the same as what we usually mean when asking for SALINE at the CVS counter? NO and is NOTHING LIKE the eye wash or IV solutions that fall under the label of SALINE>

Sea Water ( 3.5% ) has about four times the salt content of let us say for clarity MEDICAL SALINE ( 0.9% ). It is also a NON STERILE solution and can contain anything and everything known to man.

With a 4 times more concentrated amount of salt does SEA WATER prevent mold growth???

I have no idea, but since mold is a living thing and made of cells I imagine there are some anti mold qualities to it since as the SEA WATER dries and the H2O evaporates the resulting more concentrated Sodium Chloride will act like salt on raw Salmon to a degree and we might wind up with a bathing suit that smells like salted mold.. LOL Maybe call it Moldy Lox??

bosco;)

Edited by boscobeans

Its worth noting that the materials, fabrics, etc are chosen for an environment where its expected they will be exposed to significant amounts of moisture and thus are pre-treated accordingly.

There WILL be some mold/mildew in areas that are missed I am sure (for example a cabin that may have gotten some soaked carpet just inside a balcony door but not enough that someone noticed), but for the most part unless they missed a giant leak it should be not significantly worse than day to day operations with a little cleaning.

Hello All,

What do you think about nexts cruises on this boat with the water infiltration ? We made a reservation for march 2018 and my parents are scared about the damages on the boat and even the strength of it (the boat made some strange sounds in the winter storm!)

Thanks !

Hello All,

What do you think about nexts cruises on this boat with the water infiltration ? We made a reservation for march 2018 and my parents are scared about the damages on the boat and even the strength of it (the boat made some strange sounds in the winter storm!)

Thanks !

Anything like carpet that got wet will be dried, and if it starts to smell, it will be replaced (that musty odor is the gas given off by the mold starting). Anything damaged will be repaired by March.

All ships creak and groan, the worse the weather, the more they groan. Cruise ships are particularly noisy in this, since the cabins are not structurally part of the ship, and therefore tend to flex and move more than the ship itself, causing more creaking from joiner panels (walls and ceilings) rubbing against one another. There is no structural damage to the ship, and it was not stressed beyond its design by the storm.

Ship, not boat. Boats are the orange things hanging on the side of the ship.

Thank you for your quick reply, it will reassure my parents ;-)

Sorry for my English (ship / boat), my first language is not English... But I retained the difference!

Quite alright, many native English speakers call cruise ships "boats", it just rankles my profession.