Cove vs. Regular Balcony on Dream

tmg698

Thinking of booking the Dream for 2019 our 30th Anniversary. We mostly book interior and ocean view rooms but since we will be celebrating a big anniversary I was thinking of getting a balcony..

So my question is what do most of you prefer a Cove or Regular Balcony? And why?

Thanks

We’ve done coves on all three Dream class ships as we like looking over the water vs the wrap around promenade. Cheaper too.

You can book a regular balcony on just about any ship built in the past 15 years, but coves are unique to dream and Vista Class. So I’d go with the Cove and save the regular balcony for another ship (that does not have a protruding promenade).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We definitely prefer a regular balcony cabin to a cove balcony....just a very different experience. The cove balconies are cut out of the sheet metal hull of the ship whereas the other balconies are wide open views of the ocean with glass below the railings and feel more 'open'. They are sunnier than the cove balconies as well. The only consideration is that on that on the Dream class of ships for privacy you need to be on at least Deck 7 and above or those walking on the outside promenade can see right on to your balcony. Just our opinions....

We have had both on the Dream. Loved the cove for the vicinity to the water and docks, great for watching people and such. Enjoy a regular balcony, but want as high as we can get. With the lanai deck, there is some privacy issues as well as site issues, so that is why we like to go as high as we can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have had aft- extended balconies, a mid-ship deck 9 balcony, and a mid-ship cove balcony on Dream class ships.

I enjoyed them all for different reasons. My favorite, and my granddaughter's, was the cove. It is roomier than a regular balcony, offers shade a good part of the day, and we loved the closeness to the water.

The view straight up is obstructed by lifeboats but we didn't find that bothersome. The views down and out to the horizon are magnificent.

We also had a much greater feeling of privacy in the cove.

I would not book a cove past the mid-ship elevator bank. Under the dining room is perfect. Neither would I want one in the atrium area. Portside 2264 through 2334 and starboard side 2289 through 2361 would be my preference.

Whatever you choose Happy Anniversary and I hope you have a great cruise.

We loved the cove balconies on the Dream. The only downfall was the elevators--seems like it took 30 minutes or more to even catch one, and there was at least 1 elevator in each bank that was not working the whole cruise. With only 28% lung function I cannot walk up all those flights of stairs to the lido. Maybe it was just a fluke on our cruise, but it was definitely a drawback for us.

Cove- enjoyed the closeness to the water and the added shade

Regular- liked not having the solid wall and having clear panel on the balcony(Dk7)

I think this is a wonderful anniversary gift. You will like either cabin. Remember the Cove cabins are unique to this class of ships. Hope you have a fantastic time.

We loved our cove. Just be aware that if you have bad weather they can seal off the balcony and you only have a window. Thankfully we have only experienced good weather.

I was going to mention this except I was going to say rough seas(in addition to bad weather). While on the Magic we did the Behind the Fun tour and asked the captain about how often they seal it off. It happens for more often then more people think and they regularly run a drill with the goal of having every cove balcony sealed in under 15mins. There is a threshold(I can't remember what it was , but its not that high) and if the wave height is above that, he will order them to be sealed.

My preference in the aft balcony(especially on an Alaska cruises), and I dying to try one the of the wraparound extended-aft balcony. It think some of those have more space on balcony than the cabin itself.

I was going to mention this except I was going to say rough seas(in addition to bad weather). While on the Magic we did the Behind the Fun tour and asked the captain about how often they seal it off. It happens for more often then more people think...

We have 22 days on three ships in coves, 15 of those days during hurricane season from Galveston. Never had the door closed. So I think it’s great that the crew is prepared to do this quickly, but I think it happens way less then you think. And who the heck wants to be on any balcony during bad weather anyway? The window is still substantially larger than an OV window, more than enough to see the passing storm if that’s your thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everybody I went ahead and booked the cove because all the ones under dining room were almost gone but still not sure I may upgrade to a Lido balcony, we love being on Lido even in an interior so I am sure we love a balcony on Lido.