Considering our first regent cruise

R & R Carroll

For the past several years we have only cruised on Oceania and have been very happy until our most recent cruise where we experienced several issues with an Owner's Suite on one of the R ships which is motivating us to look at other cruise lines.

We are considering a 2020 Iceland & Norway cruise on Regent Explorer but have some questions about the all-inclusive packages and would appreciate any feedback you can give us.

First--we always take a credit for our air as we like to fly first class with non-stop flights when possible. With Regent, they offer business class air included. What has been your experience with the airlines they use and whether they use non-stops flights?

Second-Alcohol included--does Regent offer a good selection of quality wines and spirits?

Third-We never take ship excursions. Instead I plan and organize small group tours for 6-8 persons and use CC roll calls to find fellow cruisers to join us. There are many obvious benefits to the small group tours but it also has given us the opportunity to easily meet and socialize with some wonderful people and make new friends on each cruise. That always makes the cruise so much more enjoyable for us. Regent tours are included in the package--how many people are typically in the tours? Are they big buses or smaller group tours? How would you describe the quality and variety of the tours offered?

Apologize for all the questions and appreciate any input. Just trying to decide if Regent will be a good fit for us.

We are leaving on our first Regent cruise in a few weeks, Athens to Rome for 12 nights. I can only comment on your question about air and can also direct you to a thread on this BB concerning air deviation. We, too, prefer premium air, first or business, and prefer non stop routings wherever possible. Our home airport is JFK so there’s plenty of options regardless of destination, we opted to book through Regent but select our own routing and pay the $1000 premium. We booked JFK-ATH on Delta with their Delta One business class service. Like many other carriers they don’t offer transatlantic first class. Delta One is reportedly a hybrid First/Business level of service. We are on Alitalia Magnifico class non stop FCO-JFK...again no option for first class. Bottom line this was the best, least expensive way for us to book the air we prefer...far less than taking the credit offered by Regent and booking ourselves given that we don’t have that many FF miles anymore.

For the past several years we have only cruised on Oceania and have been very happy until our most recent cruise where we experienced several issues with an Owner's Suite on one of the R ships which is motivating us to look at other cruise lines.

We are considering a 2020 Iceland & Norway cruise on Regent Explorer but have some questions about the all-inclusive packages and would appreciate any feedback you can give us.

First--we always take a credit for our air as we like to fly first class with non-stop flights when possible. With Regent, they offer business class air included. What has been your experience with the airlines they use and whether they use non-stops flights?

Second-Alcohol included--does Regent offer a good selection of quality wines and spirits?

Third-We never take ship excursions. Instead I plan and organize small group tours for 6-8 persons and use CC roll calls to find fellow cruisers to join us. There are many obvious benefits to the small group tours but it also has given us the opportunity to easily meet and socialize with some wonderful people and make new friends on each cruise. That always makes the cruise so much more enjoyable for us. Regent tours are included in the package--how many people are typically in the tours? Are they big buses or smaller group tours? How would you describe the quality and variety of the tours offered?

Apologize for all the questions and appreciate any input. Just trying to decide if Regent will be a good fit for us.

Hi the only issue we have with owners Suites is we can’t afford them LOL! Or cruise budget for the year is around 60 k for two cruises. We usually use our miles to book first or business, we take private small group tours we do thru CC, the liquor and wine selections are quite good but I suggest you bring a spare liver if you have one. I’m sure you will be very pleased with Regent. The service and food are outstanding and the Explorer is wonderful!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is a sticky about Regent flights that should answer a lot of questions about Regent Air. Availability of nonstop flights probably depends on your home airport. We are preparing for our second Regent cruise. For the first cruise we took the credit and arranged our own flights. For our upcoming cruise we paid the fee and had Regent book our flights. One way is nonstop and the other has one stop but we chose it that way.

There are some copies of the liquor menu in some posts but it takes some searching. I didn’t have any trouble finding good scotch and bourbon choices. I’ve been blessed with a pedestrian wine palate so I’m generally fine with whatever they pour.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can speak more to the spirits rather than wine. Some of the brands of spirits that come to mind are Patron and Don Julio Tequila, Grey Goose, Chopin and several other choices. Since you are an Oceania cruiser (we also have sailed Oceania in a Vista and PH suite on the Rivera), the alcohol choices are pretty much what is offered on Oceania in terms of premium brands. Unlike Oceania, the pours are not measured but instead are whatever strength you wish them to be.

I am not a fan of included excursions but do like Regent Choice excursions (those with a cost). Although there are sometimes multiple busloads of passengers going on the same excursion, the buses are not full (but do carry 25 - 30 passengers which is too much for us). Some Regent Choice excursions have limits which are the ones we book.

A good comparison of Regent and Oceania’s “food” excursions (which we love) is that we took an identical excursion on both cruise lines - about 15 passengers going to a taverna in Greece and preparing multiple dishes (hands on) while drinking ouzo and/or wine. It was loads of fun and when we were through we were served lunch (not what we prepared - it was prepared in the kitchen:D). The cost on Oceania was close to $1,000 for two people while the cost on Regent was less than half the cost. BTW, Regent and Oceania use the same tour company and the excursions are very similar.

Although you didn’t ask, I’d like to add a word about food on Regent. Unlike Oceania, with 24 hours notice you can order just about anything that the chefs have the ingredients to prepare. This opens so many options for passengers.

Also, in my opinion, while food is subjective, we find the food in Compass Rose (main dining room) far superior to Oceania. The buffet, while not as large as on Oceania’s larger ships, the quality is better on Regent. However, nothing can touch Jacques on Oceania. The steak and Italian restaurant are a toss up.

Sorry for such a long post - there is just so much information to share.

P.S. Explorer is our favorite ship!

From our one experience on the Explorer, the included excursions were full busloads and quite mediocre, worse than we’ve experienced on other cruise lines. The guides in particular seemed both unmotivated or just uninterested.

At the time we were first time cruisers at all the ports visited, and this aspect of the cruise was a bit of a let down.

We have sailed on Regent many times. Unless it is a tour that we really want, we tend to do the included excursions. Mostly, we have found the tour guides to be pleasant and informative. Some included tours are on motor coaches, holding 25-30 people. Some included tours are in minibuses (8 to 12 people) or 4x4 jeeps, and one was actually in a taxi.

So it depends on the selected tours as to the amount of people involved.

One of the attractions to Regent is that there are included tours. For many years, we also recruited several people for private tours because the cost was almost the same as the ship tours.

With Regent there is no hassle, no additional costs. Let us know how it went for you. Enjoy!

Sheila

From our one experience on the Explorer, the included excursions were full busloads and quite mediocre, worse than we’ve experienced on other cruise lines. The guides in particular seemed both unmotivated or just uninterested.

At the time we were first time cruisers at all the ports visited, and this aspect of the cruise was a bit of a let down.

This is the polar opposite to our experiences with most of Regent’s included excursions.

Some ‘fails’ but mostly interesting with good guides on only half-full buses.

Strongly concur with Bellagio Cruisers/Sheila (and Herb), and Flossie009/David & Susan's included excursion assessments above. We also enjoy the choice excursions on occasion. Looking forward to paying for a few of our Voyager Asia 2020 cruise Choice excursions with our Ship Board Credits after May next year.

Strongly concur with Bellagio Cruisers/Sheila (and Herb), and Flossie009/David & Susan's included excursion assessments above. We also enjoy the choice excursions on occasion. Looking forward to paying for a few of our Voyager Asia 2020 cruise Choice excursions with our Ship Board Credits after May next year.

If most of us were not happy with the included excursions, we would cruise on other lines. . It’s part of why we continue to be loyal to Regent.

Sheila

My response to R & R Carroll is based on their preferences. It sounds as if they do not want to be on a bus with even 25 passengers. This is why I recommended "some" Regent Choice excursions. I did not bash Regent "free" excursions but find that they are not for everyone.

This is the polar opposite to our experiences with most of Regent’s included excursions.

Some ‘fails’ but mostly interesting with good guides on only half-full buses.

Maybe our experience was the exception rather than the rule, and it was the Explorer’s maiden season, where the kinks were probably still being ironed out. That said, I was expecting a higher quality experience than the usual shore excursions offered by other lines: ie, perhaps better quality buses, more informed guides, water, or even nice snacks, anything either unexpected or special. Nope!

Maybe our experience was the exception rather than the rule, and it was the Explorer’s maiden season, where the kinks were probably still being ironed out. That said, I was expecting a higher quality experience than the usual shore excursions offered by other lines: ie, perhaps better quality buses, more informed guides, water, or even nice snacks, anything either unexpected or special. Nope!

Paul, I agree. Regent is a luxury cruise line but the included excursions are no better than lesser cruise lines. Definitely nothing special. However, on Explorer, the food related Regent Choice excursions have, at times, blown us away.

Thank you all for taking the time to share your experiences on Regent. I do appreciate the input from all of you as well as your varied opinions. If we decide to do this cruise we will most likely take a credit for air and book our own flights. The number of people on the ships excursions is what may hold us back. However I need to look into the availability of private tour guides in Iceland and Norway. My guess is that there may be few if any in some of these ports and it may be the perfect time and place to try Regent and ship tours...

I have been cruising with Radisson/Regent since 2001. The quality of the shore excursions depend on where you are cruising.

Some excursions have been great all the way to awful. We always take the air credit along with any hotel credit that may be available.

Hiring private tour guides in Europe can cost $100 Euro per hour....especially if they are providing the transportation.

Overall we have had pretty good luck with shore excursions. We board Explorer at the end of November and will post on CC how things go. We booked all included excursions except 1 Regent Choice one. We have had some so so guides, some great ones, some vans and buses i couldn't believe were actually transporting people and some lovely comfortable half full buses. But no matter what the tours were like we saw a part of the world we had never seen before and gained knowledge and insight into that part of the world and its' culture.

It will be our first time on Explorer.

Also, in my opinion, while food is subjective, we find the food in Compass Rose (main dining room) far superior to Oceania. The buffet, while not as large as on Oceania’s larger ships, the quality is better on Regent. However, nothing can touch Jacques on Oceania. The steak and Italian restaurant are a toss up.

P.S. Explorer is our favorite ship!

Hey Travelcat. Is the Explorer buffet really smaller than Riviera’s? In what way? I’m a big Riviera Terrace fan and I’m considering the Splendor. I’m curious to hear your take on the buffet difference. Thanks!!

As far as flights, we always take the credit and book our own, usually using miles unless in the US or Canada.

We have cruised on both Regent (a lot) and Oceania (3 times). Drinks selections are pretty much the same, but on Regent, they are not strict about measuring pours, as it is included. And they refill your wine glass way before it is close to empty.

As far as excursions, the excursions on both lines are the same operators. We have had mostly good excursions, but you have to know how to pick them. Anything involving hiking or biking is our first choice. Anything listed as strenuous is also a top choice. We avoid anything that says “panoramic “ as that is code for sitting in a bus. Often I use the Regent tour just for the transportation to get there. I let the guide know that we will be exploring on our own and ask what time to be back at the bus.

Hey Travelcat. Is the Explorer buffet really smaller than Riviera’s? In what way? I’m a big Riviera Terrace fan and I’m considering the Splendor. I’m curious to hear your take on the buffet difference. Thanks!!

Not Travelcat but here is my take on the buffets. I will admit a bias, as I don’t like the buffet on Oceania at all as I like to serve myself.

The buffet on all of the Regent ships is about the same size as on the smaller Oceania ships. marina and Riviera buffets are larger than those on Regent. But that said, with the exception of grilled lobster, the food at the buffet on Regent has more diversity. Many more options on the salad bar. They have a pizza window with pretty good pizza. There is always a big cheese board.

Rachel explain it well. We had two issues on our first Oceania cruise (Riviera) that put us off - likely forever. I ordered a special of the day pasta dish that includes clams (or in this case, one clam). The person that was plating the dish wanted to put a clam on the top to make it look nice but the clam was obviously dead prior to cooking as it did not open. The guy was standing there trying to pry it open and serve it. I politely told him that I changed my mind.

When we tried it at night, we stood in the pasta line (I love pasta) while they "cooked" or reheated the pasta. The line was quite long and by the time I got close to the front I could see that the pasta was being "heated" in cold water - not sure what happened. I accepted the plate but found that the only pasta that was warm was the ones at the bottom that were sitting on the hot plate.

On Regent you place your order for pasta, a grilled item, eggs, etc. - give them your table number and it is delivered to your table. This alleviates the long lines.

There was very little that I liked about the buffet - not even the dining venue (the room was crowded - service spotty, etc.)

Like Rachel, we prefer to serve ourselves and are aware of touching handles that others touch. When I remember I use a small napkin to hold the utensils. Some posters on the Oceania board feel that having food served to you from the buffet will prevent the spread of illness. However, as you likely know, the Riviera has had many more cases of Norovirus than Regent ships so I can't see the advantage.

Have to mention that next to Regent's Explorer, the Riviera is most beautiful ship that we have sailed on.

Rachel explain it well. We had two issues on our first Oceania cruise (Riviera) that put us off - likely forever. I ordered a special of the day pasta dish that includes clams (or in this case, one clam). The person that was plating the dish wanted to put a clam on the top to make it look nice but the clam was obviously dead prior to cooking as it did not open. The guy was standing there trying to pry it open and serve it. I politely told him that I changed my mind.

When we tried it at night, we stood in the pasta line (I love pasta) while they "cooked" or reheated the pasta. The line was quite long and by the time I got close to the front I could see that the pasta was being "heated" in cold water - not sure what happened. I accepted the plate but found that the only pasta that was warm was the ones at the bottom that were sitting on the hot plate.

On Regent you place your order for pasta, a grilled item, eggs, etc. - give them your table number and it is delivered to your table. This alleviates the long lines.

There was very little that I liked about the buffet - not even the dining venue (the room was crowded - service spotty, etc.)

Like Rachel, we prefer to serve ourselves and are aware of touching handles that others touch. When I remember I use a small napkin to hold the utensils. Some posters on the Oceania board feel that having food served to you from the buffet will prevent the spread of illness. However, as you likely know, the Riviera has had many more cases of Norovirus than Regent ships so I can't see the advantage.

Have to mention that next to Regent's Explorer, the Riviera is most beautiful ship that we have sailed on.

Thanks Travelcat. Are there more food items? How is it bigger?

I do like being served, doesn’t bother me either way.

Thanks Travelcat. Are there more food items? How is it bigger?

I do like being served, doesn’t bother me either way.

I think that Rachel said it was bigger but I have to agree. Perhaps it is just the square footage of the buffet area that needs to be larger due to the fact that Riviera is considerably larger than Regent ships so there are more passengers dining in the Terrace Cafe. Two things stood out as being smaller on Oceania - one was the array of items on the salad bar and the other is the choices of desserts.

Regent also has the Pool Grill that has a buffet (not like the place on the Riviera with the yummy steak and lobster sandwiches which Regent does not have). The buffet on the pool deck has specialty items for when they run themed lunches on sea day (Indian, Asian, Seafood, etc.) in addition to more salads, burgers, etc. So, if you add the inside buffet in La Veranda and the outside buffet (just outside of La Veranda), it is larger than on the Riviera.

Not sure if that answered your question but I tried:halo:

Not Travelcat but here is my take on the buffets. I will admit a bias, as I don’t like the buffet on Oceania at all as I like to serve myself.

The buffet on all of the Regent ships is about the same size as on the smaller Oceania ships. marina and Riviera buffets are larger than those on Regent. But that said, with the exception of grilled lobster, the food at the buffet on Regent has more diversity. Many more options on the salad bar. They have a pizza window with pretty good pizza. There is always a big cheese board.

Hi Rachel, this is not a narky question in any way but want to ask a question.

You are a GP i think?

I have (i think) maybe had some gastro issues with the use of multiple people using the same tongs that everyone is using and lets be honest, not everyone has the best hygiene.

Do you have a fail safe way to counteract this issue? I do now try to use wipes when using multiple utensils but is there a better way of avoiding germs on this issue?

Thanks.

Pam.

Hi Rachel, this is not a narky question in any way but want to ask a question.

You are a GP i think?

I have (i think) maybe had some gastro issues with the use of multiple people using the same tongs that everyone is using and lets be honest, not everyone has the best hygiene.

Do you have a fail safe way to counteract this issue? I do now try to use wipes when using multiple utensils but is there a better way of avoiding germs on this issue?

Thanks.

Pam.

I am a gynecologic surgeon. While bacteria can certainly be spread by multiple different people using tongs, it is just as likely to be spread by touching doorknobs, stair railings, a dollar bill, etc, etc, basically anything that can be touched with human hands. No way to prevent that 100%. If disease caused by touching utensils at a buffet were a huge health issue, the health departments in the US would have disallowed it long ago.

As Travelcat mentioned, one option would be to use a napkin to pick up the utensils.

I have never gotten sick from eating food from a self serve buffet. I have gotten horribly sick from undercooked chicken in a restaurant a couple of times as once from eating soup that was probably held at too low of a temperature for several hours. And that was at a very nice restaurant. Most food borne illness is from contaminated food or food which is not kept at the proper temperature or in the case of chicken, is inadequately cooked.

Rachel - thank you for your input. We do use the wipes on planes and onboard that I've mentioned previously on Cruise Critic (that is used in hospitals to prevent Norovirus). They are quite effective - we just need to remember to use them outside of the suite. I'm still trying to have the courage to wear a mask when people behind me on a bus are coughing without covering their mouth (so gross). This is an issue that I need to address - especially on airplanes during the winter since we almost always cruise in November/December and February/March - months when so many people are sick and still travel.

We are getting our flu shots on Tuesday and hope that others do the same.