Glacier Bay National Park on Golden Princess Alaska cruise

JP-Cruise

hi, this July I’ll be on the Golden Princess on my Alaska cruise and just wondering if anyone can tell me the best viewing area on the ship is for this day?

I first thought about going to the sanctuary area for viewing. But on second thought this may not be a good idea because of those high glass boards preventing you to see the views as good. I’ve never been on a princess ship so don’t know what to expect

hi, this July I’ll be on the Golden Princess on my Alaska cruise and just wondering if anyone can tell me the best viewing area on the ship is for this day?

I first thought about going to the sanctuary area for viewing. But on second thought this may not be a good idea because of those high glass boards preventing you to see the views as good. I’ve never been on a princess ship so don’t know what to expect

All over. On the various open decks:evilsmile:, down on Promenade deck, from aft open decks and so on.. You'll want to move around as the ship slowly spins in some areas, and different views from different locations. We had some amazing views from the hot tubs, some from very top deck, some from Skywalkers, some from balcony, some from buffet. And so on..

It's a long full day in the Park, you'll definitely be moving around and taking in the views from different places..

All over. On the various open decks:evilsmile:, down on Promenade deck, from aft open decks and so on.. You'll want to move around as the ship slowly spins in some areas, and different views from different locations. We had some amazing views from the hot tubs, some from very top deck, some from Skywalkers, some from balcony, some from buffet. And so on..

It's a long full day in the Park, you'll definitely be moving around and taking in the views from different places..

Thanks so much for your reply! Will note the promenade deck, and definitely will be moving around. The glacier bay day on my itinerary says from 9:15am - 7:30pm. Will wanna see if I can spot some whales early in the morning. What time do you recommend I should be outside for? An hour or two before 9:15?

Thanks so much for your reply! Will note the promenade deck, and definitely will be moving around. The glacier bay day on my itinerary says from 9:15am - 7:30pm. Will wanna see if I can spot some whales early in the morning. What time do you recommend I should be outside for? An hour or two before 9:15?

Whatever time you're ready. You're sailing all night and morning, and sailing slower once into the park - your chances to see whales are good at any point.

Edited by reedprincess

Some people opt for the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast on Glacier Bay day - huge full breakfast spread with half bottle if champagne to enjoy while taking in the scenery on arrival.. Lovely start to an amazing day. Assuming you have a balcony...

Deck 7 Promenade. Everyone goes up to Deck 14 and 15. A friend is a photographer and he always says the lower to the subject the better. He is right. Deck 7 is not busy at all and people will be fighting for rail access on the upper decks.

Don't even bother with Sanctuary seats. Waste of money. You will want to move around from side to side and on Deck 7, you can go through the ship or around the ship.

Even when I have a balcony, I go to Deck 7. You don't want to be limited to the views on one side of the ship on your balcony.

Deck 7 Promenade. Everyone goes up to Deck 14 and 15. A friend is a photographer and he always says the lower to the subject the better. He is right. Deck 7 is not busy at all and people will be fighting for rail access on the upper decks.

Don't even bother with Sanctuary seats. Waste of money. You will want to move around from side to side and on Deck 7, you can go through the ship or around the ship.

Even when I have a balcony, I go to Deck 7. You don't want to be limited to the views on one side of the ship on your balcony.

Thanks for elaborating on this coral. You told me everything I needed to know :). Ya maybe on my last day at sea I’ll maybe buy a half a day admission to the sanctuary, Just to see, or should I not even bother with a half a day pass?

When the ship enters Glacier Bay National Park you will be surrounded by ice and very cold water. The Ship will be moving forward at 13 knots and the wind can also blow adding to the chill factor.

Dress in layers that you can peel off and stick in your back pack or add back on when it gets cold.

As others have said you will want to move around the ship to see as much as you can. Just standing in one spot will cause you to miss some very nice scenery, whales, mountain goats, etc.

Bob

We were in Fiordland National Park in New Zealand on the Golden Princess and found Deck 15 aft to be a good viewing area and easily crossed from one side to the other. I suspect they’ll open the area over the bridge, too, which would be great but likely very crowded and also cold. If it’s raining, your best bet by far is Deck 7 on the Promenade.

We had a balcony but were told prior to our cruise to not plant ourselves there but instead to get out and about...move from side to side...deck to deck...

Promenade deck was a great view...the problem we found on OUR cruise was the crowds there (we cruised in late Aug and perhaps that caused everyone to want to be under the cover of Promenade). You had to stake your spot then not move or you lost it. Now...there was coffee, etc...outside on the deck and that was nice, and you could actually HEAR the commentary from the bridge, (couldn't hear it very well on the upper decks outside) but we ended up not staying there on 7 very long....I know posters above have said it was more crowded on the upper decks...and I wonder if thats on the summer cruises??? :confused::confused: I don't really know as we've never cruise to Alaska at that time of year :D

Our Story (late August): We started on the upper decks midship..then out to Terrace Pool aft....spent a little time back on our own balcony...then to Promenade...then to the front bow (Toooo windy and cold just fyi) ...back to Horizon Court to grab a bite to eat as the ship turned --had a tableside view through the windows (getting warm), then back to our balcony for our last views and exiting the park...

Yep...I was serious when I said we were 'everywhere'. ;) There really is NO "one perfect spot".

Enjoy you cruise!! You'll LOVE Glacier Bay!!

Edited by rgmacm

Also know that the Captain will do a 360 degree turnaround. We moved all over the Golden (our favorite Princess ship).

IMHO, I think that Sanctuary would be a waste of money.

On our first Alaska cruise 11 years ago on the Coral Princess we had a great naturalist (Barbara - don't remember her last name) and Captain (Binetti) and both were excellent wildlife spotters.

Early on Glacier Bay Day a very excited Captain Binetti game on the PA to personally announce a grizzly bear on the beach starboard side. He slowed the ship almost to a stop while all 2000+ passengers (and some of the crew) rushed to the starboard side (I kept waiting for the ship to list :eek::D) and Barbara came on the PA and told us all about grizzlies.

Later that day (around 3:30) as we were leaving Glacier Bay, Captain Binetti came back on and announced whales all around us. He slowed down the ship and Barbara took over the narration about the whales.

If you didn't leave your balcony or if you are out on deck rooted to one spot, you would have missed some of the highlights of the cruise.

On our first Alaska cruise 11 years ago on the Coral Princess we had a great naturalist (Barbara - don't remember her last name) and Captain (Binetti) and both were excellent wildlife spotters.

Barbara was a gem! She was on the Coral Princess for years. I haven't heard her name in years but she was great. I really learned a lot from her.

Thanks for elaborating on this coral. You told me everything I needed to know :). Ya maybe on my last day at sea I’ll maybe buy a half a day admission to the sanctuary, Just to see, or should I not even bother with a half a day pass?

Play it by year, but I have never needed a reason to bother with it. I personally would not pay for it.

Usually deck 7 is not crowded but someone did post that it was (I wonder if it was raining that trip). I would just move around. Going, try to have a somewhat forward view and leaving, an aft view is good (someone mentioned the terrace pool).

Play it by year, but I have never needed a reason to bother with it. I personally would not pay for it.

Usually deck 7 is not crowded but someone did post that it was (I wonder if it was raining that trip). I would just move around. Going, try to have a somewhat forward view and leaving, an aft view is good (someone mentioned the terrace pool).

Thanks coral and to everyone for the wealth of information! This will be my second Alaska trip. Last year I did not see glacier bay but saw Tracy arm Fjord and Hubbard. This time I’ll be seeing Hubbard again. I can’t remeber if it’s the day after or before glacier bay but so excited!

What is aft view?

Early on Glacier Bay Day a very excited Captain Binetti game on the PA to personally announce a grizzly bear on the beach starboard side. He slowed the ship almost to a stop while all 2000+ passengers (and some of the crew) rushed to the starboard side (I kept waiting for the ship to list :eek::D) and Barbara came on the PA and told us all about grizzlies.

Later that day (around 3:30) as we were leaving Glacier Bay, Captain Binetti came back on and announced whales all around us. He slowed down the ship and Barbara took over the narration about the whales.

If you didn't leave your balcony or if you are out on deck rooted to one spot, you would have missed some of the highlights of the cruise.

In 1984 taking the ferry from Skagway to Juneau, we had a tree hour stretch were we saw maybe over 200 whales including breaching and tail fluting. Crew were sitting outside with families. Talking to one of the crew with his wife and 2 kids said this was the most he had seen in over 10 years as crew on the Alaskan ferry. When driving slow in the Yukon I almost hit a bear coming out of the trees from the left when I was looking hard right for a certain dirt road. Taking the tour boat in Glacier bay years ago, we saw bears near where we were dropping off and picking up campers. Bears were happily fishing in the streams a few hundred yards away. Saying this, because whales and bears can be anywhere. Always keep your eyes open wide when outside viewing.

Does anyone know if there is a package offered for the Sanctuary on Glacier cruising days and what is included? Is it worth it?

I would not pay for anything at the Sanctuary on glacier days! There are better views on the ship elsewhere.

I would not pay for anything at the Sanctuary on glacier days! There are better views on the ship elsewhere.

Ya you know what? After seeing the layout of the sanctuary on YouTube, it looks like this is the worst view to be for the glacier days!