Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

To go off topic for a moment (sorry to interrupt the giggles and merriment)......I have learned that schools here are no longer teaching cursive. How does one sign one's name without learning cursive? Do people then just print their names? I'm puzzled. Now back to our regularly scheduled humour....:)

YES!! Appreciate this interesting review and a great refresher course on the huge and varied history of Rome. Nice sharing!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 227,711 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thanks M,

There may be interest amongst some for this book review .....

When in Rome

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rome-history-seven-sackings-matthew-kneale-review-dvfcgwv8w?shareToken=e68d155a8ceb6554e63c5c4f844b7a2e

Thanks Jeff, It looks really good. I find Rome fascinating so have added this to my Amazon wish list (not published until 19th October). As a matter of fact we are off to Rome next year, doing three days in Rome and then a week on Queen Victoria.

Peter

Thanks Jeff, It looks really good. I find Rome fascinating so have added this to my Amazon wish list (not published until 19th October). As a matter of fact we are off to Rome next year, doing three days in Rome and then a week on Queen Victoria.

Peter

Peter,

So glad you liked the summary. My problem is that I keep reading Times reviews, get excited and buy the book - far too easy with Amazon - and then forget to read them. That's why I love buying cookery books, and specifically those with lots of colour pictures. Particularly about bread or even better flatbread. I never follow recipes but the pictures sometimes nudge me out of fallow periods of cooking laziness into a bit of culinary activity.

Rome is one of our top ten cities but coincidentally just after lunch today I booked another trip to Vienna for September 2018 for wifey and my birthday. A post lunch impulse which I told wifey about a few minutes ago. Her only interest is that I pre-booked 2D and 2F and that she has her normal suite at the IC and club access for evening drinks and breakfast. We will have stelze at The Swiss House and some schnitzel at Figls. Anyone wanting to join us in Vienna for the celebrations is welcome It will be absolutely full of nothing important but with lots of cake. We're also off in the first week of December in a few weeks for our annual Christmas Market Safari.

Great to read that you'll be traveling to Rome, Jeff. Now, I wonder what 2D and 2F are, and what is IC (a hotel?). We love Rome... We were there first years and years ago on a very tight budget, and then subsequently with slowly opening pockets. Somehow we've always stayed at the same hotel, and are now wanting to spread our pockets a bit more. What would you recommend for a next visit?

Hi C,

Fairly close ..... Peter is going to Rome but for us it's actually Vienna!2D and 2F is the second row starboard side BA Eurofleet and wifey's favourite seats, and the IC is the Intercontinental.

They are normally wonderful and all our foibles and preferences follow us between the main hotels we use in the group so whether it is Singapore or Vienna or Cannes or Athens or Rome or Paris or London, ie how the mini bar contents is set up, suite servicing times, particular suites we like and don't like, birthdays, anniversry etc. They even remember to rearrange the furniture in our lounge in Singapore and give us some garden furniture for the small garden,

Come and join us. There will be a free bun for you and Roberto. :)