First carnival cruise since the 80's-a few questions!

L1211

Greetings carnival cruisers,

Pulled the trigger today and way over paid for a four day cruise on the Victory out of Miami mid-March for college spring break. The oldest is a scholarship athlete with commitments on the weekends of spring break so that left just the weekdays for holiday. Loved the Victory itinerary to Key West and Cozumel so we grabbed it. Now we have a few questions I bet you savvy cruisers know much about!

- purchased FTTF since we will be in town the night before. How early can we board? I didn't see an assigned boarding time. Does that mean it's flexible? Recommendations on how early to arrive at the port?

- I booked a balcony on 8 for me and an OV on two for the 20/21 year old college students. There were a few aft balconies still available for $200 more. Worth it???? I'm already paying double

Since I'm going solo.

- do we need to make reservations for any shows? Used to NCL and RCI - prebook everything!

- we picked My Time Dining. Does FTTF help with that? Any other benefit?

- anyone have a recent bar menu? Purchased Cheers. Most interested in wine offerings by the glass.

- considering Chefs Table for me. Worth it?

- what's available for late night dining? NCL has O'Sheehan's pub open 24 hours. Anything similar? The MDR and Buffet seem to be the dining venues besides Guys and Blue Iguana. Not sure what serves the late night crowd?

I think that's it for now. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I also add their call center team was extremely friendly! I called with a few questions working through my options. Always greeted with delightful help. Sets a great tone!!! Way to go Carnival!!

Pulled the trigger today and way over paid for a four day cruise on the Victory out of Miami mid-March for college spring break. The oldest is a scholarship athlete with commitments on the weekends of spring break so that left just the weekdays for holiday. Loved the Victory itinerary to Key West and Cozumel so we grabbed it. Now we have a few questions I bet you savvy cruisers know much about!

- purchased FTTF since we will be in town the night before. How early can we board? I didn't see an assigned boarding time. Does that mean it's flexible? Recommendations on how early to arrive at the port?

- I booked a balcony on 8 for me and an OV on two for the 20/21 year old college students. There were a few aft balconies still available for $200 more. Worth it???? I'm already paying double

Since I'm going solo.

- do we need to make reservations for any shows? Used to NCL and RCI - prebook everything!

- anyone have a recent bar menu? Purchased Cheers. Most interested in wine offerings by the glass.

- what's available for late night dining? NCL has O'Sheehan's pub open 24 hours. Anything similar? The MDR and Buffet seem to be the dining venues besides Guys and Blue Iguana. Not sure what serves the late night crowd?

You will find the short cruises to be rather boozy and if I were you, though your student is old enough to partake or find a way to do so, he/she being a scholrship athehlete runs the risk of losing the scholorship should they be found in trouble on board with anything. Keep a short lease on them and enjoy.

You will find the short cruises to be rather boozy and if I were you, though your student is old enough to partake or find a way to do so, he/she being a scholrship athehlete runs the risk of losing the scholorship should they be found in trouble on board with anything. Keep a short lease on them and enjoy.

Nice. A booze cruise... not what mom had in mind...

Since I'm going solo.

I like to get to port between 10 and 11 am. With or without FTTF.

The aft balcony is my fave...just booked one today but I wouldn"t pay the 200 more to upgrade from a regular balcony since you are already paying a hefty solo rate.

Do not need resie for show. But arrive early to get decent seats.

Love my time dining. Just show up whenever. But early and late is better, the prime time in middle can be busy and you may have a wait but can go grab drink at bar while you wait.

Late night food is pizza and the buffet can stay open a little late but pizza is open late late...not sure what else but it is not much. The things like Guys burgers, the BBQ, burrito bar, Mongolian wok....whatever is on your ship, I don't know...but they close early.

Do not know about chef's table. We have never done it but the steakhouse is great and I have heard food things about the CT.

Hi

Having FTTF allows you to check in early 10-10:30. Of course you can't board until the ship is ready. By 11:30 or so, you be starting. If you don't want to wait and it works with your schedule arrive around 11a.m., about half an hour to get though security and check in and you should be able to board right away, or soon thereafter. Again because you have FTTF you will be allowed access to your cabin right away. That way you will be able to drop off your carry on bags. Adults (21+) at allowed to carry on 1 bottle of wine 750ml. at embarkation, and each passenger may bring 12 cans or cartons of pop/drinks (no bottles).

No reservations for shows.

FTTF will not give you benefits for your dining. It will give you priority self assist debarkation or an early baggage tag, if not doing self assist.

have a great cruise

With FTTF you can check in as early as they open check in. Usually around 10ish. Boarding begins usually closer to 12. Sometimes earlier, sometimes later.

Gives you early access to your cabin, priority line at guest services and priority baggage. I've been lucky getting it delivered shortly before muster.

No help with dining really except if you are having trouble getting steakhouse reservations.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

It will be interesting to get your feedback on the "changes" since the 80's. Don't wait up for the midnight buffet or wait to start your happy hour when the live band and free sushi appear. You will be very disappointed.

Nice. A booze cruise... not what mom had in mind...

Unfortunately the shorter cruises have a tendency to be more of a "Party type" atmosphere....Not everyone, but you will see a wide range of "characters" on these type cruises.

It will be interesting to get your feedback on the "changes" since the 80's. Don't wait up for the midnight buffet or wait to start your happy hour when the live band and free sushi appear. You will be very disappointed.

Ha ha! I actually won a beer drinking contest onboard in the 80's (please, for the love of God don't tell my 21 y/o daughter!!!). I have a small trophy (and a picture with a sunburn and huge hair to prove it)! I don't think they have those anymore either do they? Thanks for the memory. Will miss the chocolate buffet, free drinks when meeting the captain, midnight buffet...,

I find this thread so timely as my parents are about to go on their first cruise since the 80s! [emoji119]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Be prepared to see less mullets, mall bangs, Walkmans and neon clothing....Hope you and the kids have a great tine!!!

Ha! All from my own suitcase!!! I might have to break out those pics After all... thank you for the well wishes. The oldest daughter is a party waiting to happen. Should be interesting.

I find this thread so timely as my parents are about to go on their first cruise since the 80s! [emoji119]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

See if your mom misses her perm!! Worked so well on sea days...

I like to get to port between 10 and 11 am. With or without FTTF.

The aft balcony is my fave...just booked one today but I wouldn"t pay the 200 more to upgrade from a regular balcony since you are already paying a hefty solo rate.

Do not need resie for show. But arrive early to get decent seats.

Love my time dining. Just show up whenever. But early and late is better, the prime time in middle can be busy and you may have a wait but can go grab drink at bar while you wait.

Late night food is pizza and the buffet can stay open a little late but pizza is open late late...not sure what else but it is not much. The things like Guys burgers, the BBQ, burrito bar, Mongolian wok....whatever is on your ship, I don't know...but they close early.

Do not know about chef's table. We have never done it but the steakhouse is great and I have heard food things about the CT.

Thanks for your responses! Where would you get late night pizza? Pizza is in the buffet, right? Is only that part of the buffet open late? Never thought about late night room service but that may be a good option for wings and bar food!!

If you have anything with your cruise date from your prior cruise(s) back in the 1980s, be sure to let Carnival know so you can start up higher in the VIFP (loyalty) program.

They couldn't find me in the system today and I took at least three Carnival cruises in the 80s. I need to find that beer drinking trophy pic to find a ship name and date!