Press Release: Texas to Begin Collecting Taxes on Alcohol in Galveston

not that we ever bought onboard anyway( we are not huge Liquor drinkers save the occasional Jack and coke for DH) but quite honestly the prices on board were never very good by comparison.. it's ALWAYS cheaper on base, and NO TAX!

we just have to accept the fact that the options may be lacking.. mainly basics, nothing uber fancy or artisinal. better prices, but less variety.

Yep!

If Texas wants to start messing around with taxing and such......stop buying! If your really upset..........travel from another state.

We stopped buying liquor on board when the prices went up....Not a great deal anymore... It's just silly buying for a savings of a few dollars (if any savings at all) when we spend thousands on the cruise.

Yes i agree,just quit buying it.....

I am not sure where you all are getting your liquor. At the Virginia ABC store Grey Goose is $45 for 1L and $70 for 1.75. So, getting it in a port or on the ship is cheaper. I think of it as my souvenir. [better than a coffee mug :D]

We often drive to east coast ports, so no worries about airplanes. We do not buy anything if we fly.

And, yes, Texas is the only state in the union to be an independent republic...

While I understand your use of the word "republic", don't forget that Hawaii was an independent country with a monarchy and California was an independent republic (for about a month). Some also would argue that Vermont was a republic from 1777 to 1791 when it became the 14th state.

So does anyone know if this tax will apply to non-residents who are merely in-transit?

A quick look at the links to the law on the TABC site shows no distinction between resident and non-residents / transients when it comes to the tax due.

In your case suggest stopping at a big liquor store in Houston on the way to the airport, might even be cheaper than the ship:D

Edited by pspercy

A quick look at the links to the law on the TABC site shows no distinction between resident and non-residents / transients when it comes to the tax due.

Texas has collected these "sin" taxes at border entry points for many years. I was a resident of New Mexico and it galled me they'd charge me fifty cents a quart to transit 20 miles of Texas after a shopping trip to Juarez. So, I ignored them. The Texas ABC set up its tax collection just beyond the US Customs area. The thing to know is they have no right to randomly rummage your luggage. They're not Customs. At the main crossing in El Paso agents used to bump passers-by trying to hear a clink, or gently obstruct passage to look down into your bag, then direct you to the collector.

• 2 weeks later...
Texas--A whole other country!

(Long time ad campaign.)

And, yes, Texas is the only state in the union to be an independent republic...

Having said all that, it's not that long of a drive from Galveston to New Orleans. Texas residents have always been required (largely unenforced) to pay usage tax on out of state purchases, duty free, etc. But this would pretty much zap nonresidents as well, and I don't recall if Texas has a rebate program for non-US visitors; some states do.

I have visited the Rio Grande valley every February the last several years. I have always be taxed for alcohol purchased across the border even though I am not a resident of Texas. Texas now states only Texan cruisers will pay. What about non-Texan visitors like me? What a can of worms considering the number of non-resident Winter Texans. Serves the government if this blows up in their face....always wheedling a way into our pockets for more!

basically, Lackland. at least that's where he THINKS the Navy IWO contingent hangs out. ideally he wants within 30 minute drive so he can bike to work most of the year. that runs him about 80-90 minutes.

Too bad it won't be Randolph. You could live in Guadalupe county - we live in Schertz. I don't think you can avoid Bexar county and stay within a 30 minute commute to Lackland.

Gets pretty hot here in the summer. He may reconsider the biking!

Welcome to San Antonio!

As a native Texan, we used to drive across the border to Mexico and buy all of our liquor -- and yes, you had to pay the tax on it when you brought it back into the US.

I think this is really similar to buying jewelry or anything else. You need to know what the going price is in YOUR area, then decide if it's really any big bargain to buy wherever (ship or port) and then include the fees/taxes. In some cases, I think it would be cheaper. In others, maybe not. For anyone travelling, you also have to consider the effort to pack it and transport it.

I presume this is going to be like any other customs declaration situation. Declare it or don't. Your choice.

Just my 2-cents of course.

Ann

The cigarette tax is ridiculous - $1.50 a pack.

Some things worth noting.

The tax is not on tobacco products itself - just cigarettes.

If you purchase cigarettes on the ship - and use them on the ship - you don't have to pay taxes on them since you've already smoked them and are not bringing them into the state. For those of you that smoke, just buy what you will consume on board.

I suspect that anyone who claims liquor or cigarettes will likely be directed by customs to the TABC tax collectors.

And here I thought these southern states claimed to be anti-tax :p

I'm a non-native living in Texas, do not get me started. Boy, they'll do anything and everything to not have to say "They're raising taxes" but they will fee you all the way to the grave and beyond. They won't build a new freeway because it would logically mean raising the gas tax but magically every existing highway is getting wider or longer thanks to toll lanes. End rant.:mad:

I think there's a BIG bottle of Johnny Walker Black coming home with me in a couple weeks out of principle. Louisiana still knows the meaning of duty-free. :D

I'm a non-native living in Texas, do not get me started. Boy, they'll do anything and everything to not have to say "They're raising taxes" but they will fee you all the way to the grave and beyond. They won't build a new freeway because it would logically mean raising the gas tax but magically every existing highway is getting wider or longer thanks to toll lanes. End rant.:mad:

I think there's a BIG bottle of Johnny Walker Black coming home with me in a couple weeks out of principle. Louisiana still knows the meaning of duty-free. :D

But see, that's what I love about this great state -- those fees you mentioned above are based on comsumption, which is SO much more fair than just taxing everyone. It's your CHOICE to bring back that bottle of Johnny Walker Black, or use the tollways, or anything else. And since I won't be doing those things, I shouldn't have to pay! And I don't and won't. I'll take that over across-the-board tax hikes ANY day.

-gina-

I don't care about the tax (or Texas, outside of Big Bend country) but what I do care about is being inconvenienced by lines created by the collection. Those with nothing to declare shouldn't have to deal with someone else's own personal wants and needs. Smoke away, but just get hell out of my way, please.

Also, a good way to beat the disembarkation **** show in Galveston is to do the self assisted disembarkation. We did that last year coming off Crown Princess and it was very smooth. You avoid a great deal of annoyance by doing that which is well worth the price of getting up early.

Edited by okiecruiser71

I am thinking there will be some pretty low prices on the bottles and cigs sold on board to make up for this. They will still make a profit. I live in Texas. They don't want a State Income tax so they sales tax the heck out of of everything else.

I'll be sailing out of Galveston in June (also a Texas resident) so I'll also be curious to see if there are any "specials" to compensate for the tax.

One of the reasons we love Texas is that there is no state income tax. I will be much less inclined to buy liquor on board or in port.

I don't care about the tax (or Texas, outside of Big Bend country) but what I do care about is being inconvenienced by lines created by the collection. Those with nothing to declare shouldn't have to deal with someone else's own personal wants and needs. Smoke away, but just get hell out of my way, please.

Also, a good way to beat the disembarkation **** show in Galveston is to do the self assisted disembarkation. We did that last year coming off Crown Princess and it was very smooth. You avoid a great deal of annoyance by doing that which is well worth the price of getting up early.

You will NOT be inconvenienced by lines created by the collection.

The tax collection station is AFTER Immigrations.

If you DECLARE something

on declarations form

then you will be directed to that area.

If you DONOT DECLARE something

on declarations form

then you will be DIRECTED TO THE STREET to be on your way.

You will NOT be inconvenienced by lines created by the collection.

The tax collection station is AFTER Immigrations.

If you DECLARE something

on declarations form

then you will be directed to that area.

If you DONOT DECLARE something

on declarations form

then you will be DIRECTED TO THE STREET to be on your way.

Exactly I just returned this sunday and was off the ship in my car in 15 minutes. Customs has nothing to do with the tax. It is a seperate line right before getting out of the building. If you have nothing you don't have to get in that line. It was my easiest disembarkation to date in galveston. Left the ship at 7:30.

But see, that's what I love about this great state -- those fees you mentioned above are based on comsumption, which is SO much more fair than just taxing everyone. It's your CHOICE to bring back that bottle of Johnny Walker Black, or use the tollways, or anything else. And since I won't be doing those things, I shouldn't have to pay! And I don't and won't. I'll take that over across-the-board tax hikes ANY day.

-gina-

Aren't all taxes (other than income taxes) based on consumption?

Aren't all taxes (other than income taxes) based on consumption?

Maybe, but I sort of view property taxes as a penalty for buying the basic necessities of life.... house, car, etc. And on top of the taxes imposed upon first aquiring those items, you are then penalized every year afterwards for your continued ownership. And the amount that you are taxes year after year is calculated on the supposed value of the item not on how much you actually consume within the town you are taxed in.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Maybe, but I sort of view property taxes as a penalty for buying the basic necessities of life.... house, car, etc. And on top of the taxes imposed upon first aquiring those items, you are then penalized every year afterwards for your continued ownership. And the amount that you are taxes year after year is calculated on the supposed value of the item not on how much you actually consume within the town you are taxed in.

Man...if someone wanted to really hijack a thread you left the door wide open. You really should think about how the community, streets, schools, etc. impact the value of your property. Penalized?

SMH

Man...if someone wanted to really hijack a thread you left the door wide open. You really should think about how the community, streets, schools, etc. impact the value of your property. Penalized?

SMH

Yes. Penalized depending on which side of the equation you fall on. Should a single person with no kids pay as much, or more, toward the schools as someone with five kids in the system? The debate goes far beyond a cruise message board. States with no property taxes seem to have found other ways to deal with such issues.

True, but when sailing from New Orleans you are subject to a VAT, collected by the ship, on any onboard purchases while in the Mississippi river. Not sure why it is called a Value Added Tax when it actually amounts to a sales tax. Seems it would be more efficient for the ship to collect the tax for the state of Texas. Obviously the ship would even charge the state for collecting the fee.

Guess as long as the TBA doesn't have the ability to search luggage there won't be many cruisers claiming alcohol purchases.

Yes. Penalized depending on which side of the equation you fall on. Should a single person with no kids pay as much, or more, toward the schools as someone with five kids in the system? The debate goes far beyond a cruise message board. States with no property taxes seem to have found other ways to deal with such issues.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:Sure, because you will be benefiting from the exceptional education that the state is providing to the kids, who will then be running things when you are older. See how well it's working in govenment now?:rolleyes::rolleyes: