What's going on with P&O UK with TIPPING

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:21 AM.
1,542 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by Bluebury
So, if the auto tips are shared equally and each individual member of staff can keep whatever is paid to them, can someone help me get my head round the following.

2000 people on the ship. 1500 keep the auto tip and 500 choose to give to the individual staff member. Is the money from the 1500 shared among all the staff so a member of staff could get that share plus direct tips - meaning that they would get more than someone who does not get any direct tips?
So P&O the customer service team claim, but crew contacts from other Carnival Corporation brands say something very different.

Those contacts say that staff need to hand in cash tips so they are included in the pool and remove this inequity.

If the contracts didn't demand this you would get all the staff panhandling for cash tips so they got paid twice.
norwich uk
229 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by mandylennon
Please P&O include tips in the price so no more debates on who gets what and how much. In my opinion the most staff do a wonderful job. We have had great conversations with the cabin stewards over the years, but I would not ask them about tips. I have no problem paying the tips and giving extra where someone has earned it. The staff are frightened to admit to anything regarding tips although on our last cruise the cabin steward mentioned several times about the questionnaire at the end of the cruise, marks had to be excellent or else they would not get their bonus.
The staff on Celebrity were the same way..kept emphasising for us to mark excelllent on questionnaire so they would get their tips...kind of negates the point of the questionnaire though
Southern UK
190 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
... as I always note on the questionnaire. Do you think anyone reads the comments?
I also always say I think fares should be tip inclusive - it is so much more British!
Sunderland England
8,454 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by Bluebury
Thank you for your response. So it looks like we are creating inequality all round. Some crew get a percentage of the auto tips, whilst others get that same percentage plus direct tips.
Cruisers, some just pay auto tip, some pay auto tip and extra if they think worthwhile, some pay direct which could be more or less than the auto tip and others pay nothing. This does not seem fair to me. I do not mind paying the tips and additional where appropriate but I do object to subsidising my fellow traveller who has withdrawn their tips.
This is why they should either be compulsory or included in the cruise fare because i agree it is not fair that some tightwads can shaft the crew and fellow honourable passengers.
Cumbria,U.K.
6,081 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
When the gratuities changed, a few years ago, P&O did say that some of the money would be held back. There was such an outcry that P&O retracted, and said that our money would be paid to the intended staff, and that any extra cash would remain with the crew member. I haven't heard that this has been altered since.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jo.
21 cruises; 12 ships; 8 lines; 96 ports
DURHAM, NC, USA
878 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Oops
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Regal Princess-Scandinavia & Russia, Jul 18
HAL Koningsdam-Norway, Jul 17
Holland America Koningsdam-Italy, Greece-Sep 16
Royal Princess-Southern Caribbean-Nov 15
Regal Princess-Eastern Caribbean-Dec 14 Sanctuary
Caribbean Princess-Western Caribbean-Jan 14
Disney Dream-Bahamas-Dec 13 Concierge
NCL Dawn-Southern Caribbean-Apr 13
RCCL Liberty-Western Caribbean-Feb 12
NCL Sun-Eastern Caribbean-Oct 11
Celebrity Century-Western Caribbean-Apr 11 1st Solo
Celebrity Eclipse-Western Caribbean-Jan 11
RCCL Radiance-Mexico-Jan 10
Celebrity Century-Western Caribbean-Feb 09
Celebrity Century-Western Caribbean-Feb 08
Celebrity Century-Western Caribbean-Feb 07
Celebrity Infinity-Caribbean-Feb 06 Atlantis
Celebrity Summit-Alaska-Aug 03 Pied Piper
Disney Magic-Caribbean-Nov 99
RCCL Splendour-Southern Caribbean-Nov 96
NCL Sunward II-Bahamas-Aug 88

Canberra Australia
43,297 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by grapau27
On RC our chief engineer cc friend told us what happens.
The basic is $85 a month but they are contracted to get a minimum of $615 a month with tips so if the tips were less RC would make up the difference.
He also said the average was $1000-$1500 per month.
This is agreed with seafarers union etc and more or less observed with all cruiselines.
For the work they do, they deserve it and more, shows just how the cruise lies are screwing the employees and the tax office.
Sunderland England
8,454 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by MicCanberra
For the work they do, they deserve it and more, shows just how the cruise lies are screwing the employees and the tax office.
I totally agree thats why we autopay tips on P&O and prepay tips on RC and always tip a considerable cash amount to crew too.
essex uk and calabria italy
1,053 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Cruise LIES.Was that a freudian slip Mick,lol.
Copenhagen, Denmark
240 Posts
Joined Nov 2014
Originally posted by cb at sea
Does YOUR employer allow you to discuss your salary? Listen, if these folks weren't making sufficient money, they would find another job. They are not "slave labor"....

If you pay the suggested tips, you've done your duty. It's what the staff agrees to.
In my country (Denmark) it’s a right by law to discuss your salary. It may be the same in other countries
Canberra Australia
43,297 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by ditmar2007
In my country (Denmark) it’s a right by law to discuss your salary. It may be the same in other countries
In Australia, a condition of an employment contract most often (not always) stipulate that discussion of salary or contract conditions may result in termination of employment. This is generally only applicable to private industry though.
Central Texas
272 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
A previous post on tipping was v informative. Explained that the crew pay income taxes to their home country on wages, but not on tips. Tips are not taxable income in many of the countries crew members call home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Robin, PhD, CFA, CMA
Next Up: 24 July 2018 Celebrity Cruisetour
24 June 2016 - Oceania Marina Copenhagen to Stockholm
14 Dec 2013 - Celebrity Reflection RT Miami

20 Nov 2009 - Celebrity Solstice RT Rome
August 2008 - Grand Circle River cruise - Seine River: Paris to Honfleur
August 2006 - Crown Princess RT NYC
May 2005 - Honeymoon on HAL Westerdam Rome to Barcelona
June 2003 - Celebrity Galaxy RT Baltimore
June 1967 - Rhine river cruise to Amsterdam
1,542 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by PhD-iva
A previous post on tipping was v informative. Explained that the crew pay income taxes to their home country on wages, but not on tips. Tips are not taxable income in many of the countries crew members call home.
It depends on the tax legislation in the country the staff are from.

If they were from the UK (I know the waiters and stewards are not, but as an example), then is likely none of their wages would be taxable, whether they were wages or tips as they are not resident for tax purposes as they are at sea.

However I understand that in the Philippines, which is where many of the waiters and stewards are from, tax is levied on all sources of income irrespective of whether it is wages or tips and whether they are at sea.

The real reason for the gratuities is to advertise the cruise for a lower cost than it really is.
Cambridgeshire
3,073 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by ditmar2007
While this may be the case, surely it is not compulsory to be forced to divulge every detail to any Tom, Dick or Harry that asks you for the information in Denmark.

Regards John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John Watson

Ships cruised on
RMS Queen Elizabeth, SS France, Oronsay, Oceana, Vision of the Seas, Caribbean Princess, Aurora,
Queen Mary 2, Star Flyer, Star Clipper, Grand Princess, Queen Elizabeth, Azura, Ruby Princess, Ventura, Diamond Princess, Britannia, Emerald Princess, Navigator of the Seas, Queen Victoria
Sunderland England
8,454 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by john watson
While this may be the case, surely it is not compulsory to be forced to divulge every detail to any Tom, Dick or Harry that asks you for the information in Denmark.

Regards John
Very true,i never ask or have been asked and prefer it that way.
I suppose if someone was persistent i would either say i was a football manager on £1 million a year or i was bankrupt.
Copenhagen, Denmark
240 Posts
Joined Nov 2014
In Australia, a condition of an employment contract most often (not always) stipulate that discussion of salary or contract conditions may result in termination of employment. This is generally only applicable to private industry though.
Such a contract would be invalid here.
Copenhagen, Denmark
240 Posts
Joined Nov 2014
Originally posted by john watson
Definetely not, but the right to do so can not be revoked with the present legislation.