What's going on with P&O UK with TIPPING

Calpespain

Now I understand why we had to give our cabin number every time we went to the mdr on freedom dining.

Perhaps now, once and for all, everyone can accept that the auto tips DO get disributed to the crew.

However I, like everyone else, I think, would prefer to pay a higher cruise fare with all tips included .

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

That all sounds quite feasible Molecrochip, and the main element is in line with the e-mail response I received.

But I do have to agree with Insanemagnet that allowing staff to keep all the cash tips they receive does lead to them receiving double tips from any passengers who delete the auto tips but do tip in cash.

I cannot believe that P&O management have not considered this and am at a loss to understand why they allow it, and even more surprised that the staff themselves do not question it's fairness.

They don’t end up with double. As less cabins in their section pay autotips the amount they are allocated is lower. I did leave the conversation feeling that everything was fair and that if any individual did a good job they were rewarded either way.

Oh, and whilst the queue to remove auto tips is long, the vast majority of passengers do leave them on. On say Britannia she has 1800+ cabins. If just 36/2% remove auto tips, you have a long queue.

They don’t end up with double. As less cabins in their section pay autotips the amount they are allocated is lower. I did leave the conversation feeling that everything was fair and that if any individual did a good job they were rewarded either way.

Oh, and whilst the queue to remove auto tips is long, the vast majority of passengers do leave them on. On say Britannia she has 1800+ cabins. If just 36/2% remove auto tips, you have a long queue.

Ah now that makes more sense, not one giant auto tip pool but lots of cabin specific little ones, and this can also work for waiters as well if the computer knows which table you ate at.

I just worry that knowing how poor P&O's IT can be, do I trust them to produce an accurate tipping algorithm?:rolleyes:

That all sounds quite feasible Molecrochip, and the main element is in line with the e-mail response I received.

But I do have to agree with Insanemagnet that allowing staff to keep all the cash tips they receive does lead to them receiving double tips from any passengers who delete the auto tips but do tip in cash.

I cannot believe that P&O management have not considered this and am at a loss to understand why they allow it, and even more surprised that the staff themselves do not question it's fairness.

I was told on a few occasions of fights between crew downstairs,maybe they self regulate additional tips.

You must have a lot of envelopes to ensure that you tip everyone that serves you during your cruise!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Not too many envelopes needed.

I think that Jean as said previously that she does club dining so I would imagine that she sticks to tipping the same people as she tipped in the days before auto tips were introduced. If my memory is correct we used to tip the cabin steward, waiter, assistant waiter, head waiter and maitre de. We now leave the auto tips on because we always do freedom dining but if we did club dining then we would also tip individually to the above people.

I think that Jean as said previously that she does club dining so I would imagine that she sticks to tipping the same people as she tipped in the days before auto tips were introduced. If my memory is correct we used to tip the cabin steward, waiter, assistant waiter, head waiter and maitre de. We now leave the auto tips on because we always do freedom dining but if we did club dining then we would also tip individually to the above people.

Agreed, not many for us either, we don't so Freedom and rarely use the Buffet, and we have the choice to tip as we see fit.

Everyone to their own personal choice

I am very confused about this tipping, if I leave Auto tipping on, will the waiters and other staff know I have done this or will they expect a little extra at the end of the cruise. Do I also tip for room service, and another question if we order room service breakfast to eat on the balcony can I nip to the buffet to get bacon and muffins my husband is not very mobile at the moment thanks for any help.

Agreed, not many for us either, we don't so Freedom and rarely use the Buffet, and we have the choice to tip as we see fit.

Everyone to their own personal choice

We do the same. We take thank you cards which we place the tips in for our cabin steward and our waiters and we always stick to club dining so the same waiters serve us each time. We do take extra thank you cards with us if any other staff member has served us well (room service, buffet, wine waiter etc....)

I am very confused about this tipping, if I leave Auto tipping on, will the waiters and other staff know I have done this or will they expect a little extra at the end of the cruise. Do I also tip for room service, and another question if we order room service breakfast to eat on the balcony can I nip to the buffet to get bacon and muffins my husband is not very mobile at the moment thanks for any help.

I want to know if they know we are using auto tipping too. We always leave them on but I wonder if the staff expect us to tip extra as well. I always feel they are judging me ! LOL but might be my paranoia. If we have room service we usually tip a pound or two. I often nip to buffet for my hubby as he is not too mobile either and it is easier if he wants a snack for me to nip up and get it rather than hoick out his wheelchair.

I want to know if they know we are using auto tipping too. We always leave them on but I wonder if the staff expect us to tip extra as well. I always feel they are judging me ! LOL but might be my paranoia. If we have room service we usually tip a pound or two. I often nip to buffet for my hubby as he is not too mobile either and it is easier if he wants a snack for me to nip up and get it rather than hoick out his wheelchair.

The staff hope you will tip extra and they won't know until the end of the cruise. If you pay the auto tip your conscience is clear, do not worry. If you get exceptional service you could tip extra.

Do they know who has removed the auto charge. Officially they don't but I have read that the below decks grapevine might pass the info around.

The staff hope you will tip extra and they won't know until the end of the cruise. If you pay the auto tip your conscience is clear, do not worry. If you get exceptional service you could tip extra.

Do they know who has removed the auto charge. Officially they don't but I have read that the below decks grapevine might pass the info around.

£6 per person autotip is very cheap compared to RCI,Celebrity,NCL etc.

I will definitely be leaving the auto tips on, as you say £6 per person a day covers all staff who work hard even those you do not come into contact. I could not be bothered with envelopes.

That is the best thing to do.

If you have a select fare you will have a chunk of onboard credit too which covers most of the autotip anyway.

yes Josy, exactly right except we don't tip the Maitre de. Both waiters, cabin steward and our wine waiter. The problem now is even those who have left the autotip on tip extra as well in an envelope!

Fed up with people saying "what about all the other staff". The autotips only go to the waiters, cabin stewards. Not the backroom lot. Personally I think it should be part of the fare as a service charge. We would still probably give a small tip in an envelope if they did that. We just tip the amount that would have been taken in autotips. Simples!

Most of the time, our waiters from our table are on duty in the buffet as well!

So you tip them double? and what do you do when they're not? I really wish people would just state they're too cheap to tip rather than coming up with excuses. If you're going to do it, own it.