What's going on with P&O UK with TIPPING

Calpespain

Why would you? It's never made any difference to the service we have received and then we give the tip at the end. Some people bribe them with a tip at the beginning? That beggars belief. What are you tipping for - they haven't done anything yet? LOL

Further to my previous posts on this thread, 191 and 219, returning to the Arcadia Event. With the introduction of so-called Freedom Dining and the provision of alternative dining venues, waiting staff were finding that their "envelope tips" were becoming less or in some instances zero. For a time towards the end of each cruise there was a collection box located by the Buffet for non MDR diners to leave their tip for the waiting staff, few did so. These boxes were withdrawn following the introduction of the auto system as the, then, new system took care of all staff.

Those guests who opt out of the auto system and do not dine in the Club MDR, no doubt carry a packet of envelopes with them in order to tip whichever waiters serve them on each occasion, as ramdomly directed by the 'host waiter' or in the case of the Buffet none at all.

It becomes obvious as more dining venues become the norm, the 'old' envelope tipping system is not fit for purpose, hence the move towards 'tips included' in the cruise base price. This has an advantage in that it reduces the impact of freeloading guests.

Edited by joro44
Spelling correction

Why would I tell my cabin steward I had (if I had) taken off my auto-tips

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Only if you intend to tip him what the recommended tip is.

Up to you but if it was me i would not want any confusion that the CS might think he is being shafted.

Why would you? It's never made any difference to the service we have received and then we give the tip at the end. Some people bribe them with a tip at the beginning? That beggars belief. What are you tipping for - they haven't done anything yet? LOL

Just to let the cabin steward know you appreciate him and will not short change him at the end of the cruise.

Thats what i would do but everyone can do what makes them happy.

Further to my previous posts on this thread, 191 and 219, returning to the Arcadia Event. With the introduction of so-called Freedom Dining and the provision of alternative dining venues, waiting staff were finding that their "envelope tips" were becoming less or in some instances zero. For a time towards the end of each cruise there was a collection box located by the Buffet for non MDR diners to leave their tip for the waiting staff, few did so. These boxes were withdrawn following the introduction of the auto system as the, then, new system took care of all staff.

Those guests who opt out of the auto system and do not dine in the Club MDR, no doubt carry a packet of envelopes with them in order to tip whichever waiters serve them on each occasion, as ramdomly directed by the 'host waiter' or in the case of the Buffet none at all.

It becomes obvious as more dining venues become the norm, the 'old' envelope tipping system is not fit for purpose, hence the move towards 'tips included' in the cruise base price. This has an advantage in that it reduces the impact of freeloading guests.

I agree.

Left to their own devices at the end of the cruise I'm sure a lot of people who haven't auto or pre paid tips must think.

How Much!!.

Then put a much smaller tip in the envelope.

Whatever the photos may or may not establish about what happens on US cruise lines they don't tell us anything at all about P&O.

As many people said when I posted the Carnival corporation contract which said cash tips had to be handed in.

Anyway, why would a cabin steward or waiter care if someone had decided not to pay the automatic gratuities. They go into a pool and are paid out across the ship.

So they ought to be more concerned about the customers they are not serving who haven't paid but are reducing the amount they will get.

Not us. I work it out beforehand, split it equally between the waiters and cabin steward and then a tip for our wine waiter. Simple! On Fred Olsen, our last two trips were "tips included". We still tipped with an envelope some extra.

You do realise Jean that your wine waiter's tips are paid for out of the sales he makes, just like the bar waiters.

On the last night of a cruise if I think certain people have gone above and beyond the auto-tips I give them an envelope with cash in it, I have done this several times. At that point I say to them I have also left on the auto-tips so they realise I'm not short changing them by taking auto tips off but rewarding them for going beyond the call of duty.

I have to say that I usually pay auto-grats +.

But these questions need resolving

1. Do the crew get the grats?

2. Which crew get them?

3. Are they withheld by the ship and what happens to them when they are, because they were given for the crew, is that fraud?

4. Are staff paid reasonable wages, are grats because they do a good job, which is my understanding of what they should be, or to make up a slave wage?

5. Why do cruise lines not act transparently about grats.

6. Why are they not called service charges so that people from countries that either don't tip or tip for exceptional service or tip at a less generous rate do not feel aggrieved that they are forced to pay and thus seek to remove the auto grats?

7. If one comes from one of the cultural backgrounds that do not normally tip at this rate, why do people keep calling them cheapskates?

8. If the ship does display lists of those who have removed AG, should the customer be told that data about them is being used ion this way?

9. Surely it is not really in the cruise lines interest to encourage staff to treat some customers less than others by such displays. Poor service = no rebook. So if they do it, why do they do it?

My brain is tired!

How do P&O Australia pay the stewards and restaurant staff? I'm led to believe that the Aussies (like many others in the southern hemisphere) are not a tipping culture.

Do P&O Australia build the gratuity into the cost of the package? If so, how does that compare with the cost of P&O UK cruises?

Surely if P&O adopted the old Thomson tipping system all the staff would be paid fairly and wouldn't have to rely on the whims of the passengers. Those who then received service above and beyond could keep any individual tip received, which would encourage the staff.

Why is somebody who takes off the auto tips a cheapskate?

I was using the phrase as someone else mentioned it as they disbelieved the lists existence.

That would be me, because there is no point in its existence.

It was being alleged by others that this exists so the crew know who has not paid the service charge so the crew know not to bother to deliver other than perfunctory service, i.e. these people are cheapskates.

However such flawed logic overlooks the fact the reason why these people may have removed the service charge is so they can pay cash tips.

Sure a lot of the people removing the service charge will not pay cash tips, but I bet the proportion of those who do is larger than those who pay substantial cash tips in addition to the service charge.

So as a crew member you would have to be a bit of an idiot to give poor service to someone who has specifically identified themselves as more likely to give a cash tip than someone who is only paying the service charge.

On the last night of a cruise if I think certain people have gone above and beyond the auto-tips I give them an envelope with cash in it, I have done this several times. At that point I say to them I have also left on the auto-tips so they realise I'm not short changing them by taking auto tips off but rewarding them for going beyond the call of duty.

That is what i do too.

It is unclear what actually happens with autotips left on or taken off but this is a reassurance to the crew involved.

I have to say that I usually pay auto-grats +.

But these questions need resolving

1. Do the crew get the grats?

2. Which crew get them?

3. Are they withheld by the ship and what happens to them when they are, because they were given for the crew, is that fraud?

4. Are staff paid reasonable wages, are grats because they do a good job, which is my understanding of what they should be, or to make up a slave wage?

5. Why do cruise lines not act transparently about grats.

6. Why are they not called service charges so that people from countries that either don't tip or tip for exceptional service or tip at a less generous rate do not feel aggrieved that they are forced to pay and thus seek to remove the auto grats?

7. If one comes from one of the cultural backgrounds that do not normally tip at this rate, why do people keep calling them cheapskates?

8. If the ship does display lists of those who have removed AG, should the customer be told that data about them is being used ion this way?

9. Surely it is not really in the cruise lines interest to encourage staff to treat some customers less than others by such displays. Poor service = no rebook. So if they do it, why do they do it?

My brain is tired!

The crew are professional so will always give good service.

They are human and a show of kindness from a passenger will often be reciprocated in better than good service IMOP.

If I found my name had been circulated to staff on a "cheapskate" print out while I was on a cruise (and I could prove it) Carnival UK would be hearing from my solicitor.

The list only shows who has paid tips so the information is up to interpretation only.

This tipping is now getting on my nerves, I thought leavingthe auto tips on would be sufficient. But I think I will feel very embarrassed on the last night when some guests are giving out envelopes towaiters and wine waiters and my husband and I just leave the table. They had a better system on Celebrity when you paid auto tips you got given envelopes togive to your cabin steward and waiters stating you had paid auto tips and if warranted a little extra was put in theenvelope.

How do P&O Australia pay the stewards and restaurant staff? I'm led to believe that the Aussies (like many others in the southern hemisphere) are not a tipping culture.

Do P&O Australia build the gratuity into the cost of the package? If so, how does that compare with the cost of P&O UK cruises?

Surely if P&O adopted the old Thomson tipping system all the staff would be paid fairly and wouldn't have to rely on the whims of the passengers. Those who then received service above and beyond could keep any individual tip received, which would encourage the staff.

The old Thomson tipping system continues on Marella, the 'tips' are included in the fare and you can tip extra if you want. The crew are happy with the arrangement as well.

A similar system must operate on P&O Australia although it is not advertised.

This tipping is now getting on my nerves, I thought leavingthe auto tips on would be sufficient. But I think I will feel very embarrassed on the last night when some guests are giving out envelopes towaiters and wine waiters and my husband and I just leave the table. They had a better system on Celebrity when you paid auto tips you got given envelopes togive to your cabin steward and waiters stating you had paid auto tips and if warranted a little extra was put in theenvelope.

I understand your feelings.

If you have autopaid your tips there is nothing wrong with just putting £5 in an envelope and saying This is a Little extra as i have autopaid my tips.