What's going on with P&O UK with TIPPING

Calpespain

So the conclusion must be that those people who remove the automatic gratuities and intend to pay a cash tip at the end of the cruise run the risk of getting rubbish service due to this 'cheap passenger' list.

Nice...

I have always found the crew to be very professional but then i have always been very generous with tips so the people to ask are the ones who are tightxxxxs

We have always had extra envelopes left with the bag tags at the end of the cruise.

There usually is envelopes and writing material in the folder in your cabin.

Graham.

Graham, what bag tags? Our bag tags are still on the cases from when we arrived. I've never had bag tags or envelopes. We pick up 4 envelopes from Reception. Cabin Steward, two waiters and wine waiter. The Steward and waiters get the amount between that the auto tips would give and the wine waiter is just an extra we do, because they are usually very good. Wine waiters have disappeared on Fred O.

Graham, what bag tags? Our bag tags are still on the cases from when we arrived. I've never had bag tags or envelopes. We pick up 4 envelopes from Reception. Cabin Steward, two waiters and wine waiter. The Steward and waiters get the amount between that the auto tips would give and the wine waiter is just an extra we do, because they are usually very good. Wine waiters have disappeared on Fred O.

The numbered tags for your debarkation time and for ease of finding your case in the terminal.

I always carry our own cases with self disembarkation so don't use the tags.

We have always had extra envelopes left with the bag tags at the end of the cruise.

There usually is envelopes and writing material in the folder in your cabin.

Graham.

When did you receive bag tags, we have not had them or tip envelopes for several years now. If we decide to give an extra tip to our cabin steward we use one of the envelopes that are in the folder in the cabin.

Ah OK, we self-disembark as well, so no need. There are usually only 2 envelopes in thecabin folder, so we always get more.

Self-disembarkation is not a factor, there are no bag tags whatever you choose to do.

We self-disembark if we have driven to Southampton but during the winter we tend to take the coach so put the cases out the night before since we have to get off when the rest of the coach passengers do but regardless of what we do there are no longer bag tags. The instructions are to leave your original tags on your luggage since they have your deck letter on them so they can be used to determine which row to put your luggage in in the baggage hall.

Edited by Josy1953
Predictive text grrrr

No additional bag tags on Oceana at xmas. My case still had the tag it arrived with, it was red for C deck and that's where it was in the baggage hall. You don't get to choose your departure time anymore, except for self disembarkation.

No additional bag tags on Oceana at xmas. My case still had the tag it arrived with, it was red for C deck and that's where it was in the baggage hall. You don't get to choose your departure time anymore, except for self disembarkation.

Our last P&O cruise was new year 2016/2017 on Ventura so going by memory.

We cruise much more on RC where the numbered tags are still used.

Regardless i leave our Autogratuities on and use an envelope to put a nice cash tip in for our CS.

We always self disembark at a time that suits us.

We got to choose our disembarkation time last month. There was a small article in the Horizen, you could go to reception and request a particular time. We got the time we wanted and we were just in a standard cabin.

I have always found the crew to be very professional but then i have always been very generous with tips so the people to ask are the ones who are tightxxxxs

As you have mentioned you leave the automatic gratuities on, you of course wouldn't appear on the 'cheap' list.

So as you mention we need to hear from people who did remove the automatic gratuities about the service they received, whether or not they tipped in cash at the end*, and compare their experience to yours.

*It is obviously irrelevant whether they did tip in cash or not as the steward/waiters wouldn't know at the point they were providing the service.

If the service is the same, then what is the point of the list (even if it exists).

If the service is worse they have suffered because they are paying cash tips.

If it is better you are suffering because you pay the automatic gratuities (and cash tips).

What a great system.

As you have mentioned you leave the automatic gratuities on, you of course wouldn't appear on the 'cheap' list.

So as you mention we need to hear from people who did remove the automatic gratuities about the service they received, whether or not they tipped in cash at the end*, and compare their experience to yours.

*It is obviously irrelevant whether they did tip in cash or not as the steward/waiters wouldn't know at the point they were providing the service.

If the service is the same, then what is the point of the list (even if it exists).

If the service is worse they have suffered because they are paying cash tips.

If it is better you are suffering because you pay the automatic gratuities (and cash tips).

What a great system.

I don't suffer because i can afford it.

Isn't it nice though if crew work really hard to make your cruise special that you can say thank you to their faces, mention their name in the post cruise survey and give them a nice cash tip and/or autogratuity.

Our cruises are wonderful and we have clear consciences by doing the right thing.

It has been reported on RC and HAL that tightwads who remove gratuitys have received a less friendly service thats why lots of the them do it on the last night.

It has been reported on RC and HAL that tightwads who remove gratuitys have received a less friendly service thats why lots of the them do it on the last night.

That would be the sensible thing to do, even if you were going to be generous and give the equivalent in cash tips.

As I have pointed out several times, if these 'cheapskate' lists exist then people who want to pay cash tips rather than automatic gratuities will appear on them as well as the people who want to pay nothing. There is no way for anyone to know whether a person asking to cancel the automatic gratuities and thus appearing on the 'cheapskate' list is going to pay a cash tip or not.

Now it would seem from your post the staff on RC and HAL have taken the view that anyone appearing on the list is not going to pay, so they get bad service.

So if someone did want to pay cash tips rather than the automatic gratuities, then the only way to avoid the bad service you report is to remove the gratuities on the last night.

That would be the sensible thing to do, even if you were going to be generous and give the equivalent in cash tips.

As I have pointed out several times, if these 'cheapskate' lists exist then people who want to pay cash tips rather than automatic gratuities will appear on them as well as the people who want to pay nothing. There is no way for anyone to know whether a person asking to cancel the automatic gratuities and thus appearing on the 'cheapskate' list is going to pay a cash tip or not.

Now it would seem from your post the staff on RC and HAL have taken the view that anyone appearing on the list is not going to pay, so they get bad service.

So if someone did want to pay cash tips rather than the automatic gratuities, then the only way to avoid the bad service you report is to remove the gratuities on the last night.

Or they could tell the CS and wait staff they have stopped their autotips but intend to tip them personally on the last night.

So as you mention we need to hear from people who did remove the automatic gratuities about the service they received, whether or not they tipped in cash at the end*, and compare their experience to yours."

I have already said we usually remove the autotip and tip with envelopes. I have never seen any difference in the service from anybody regardless of whether we used autotipping or not. We have done both.

Hasn't enough been said on this subject before. Do what you wish. I would suggest you read the following from the Cunard Board

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2413808

It would be against the law in many counties "Privacy". Tipping it started out a number of years ago as a guide of how much to tip individual staff. Then to save you time it became automatic. If it makes you feel better tip to your hearts content, I wont know concern myself or worry about it.

Let us get on with enjoying cruising

How do you calculate the amount that the auto system would give?

The main reason for introducing the auto system was to respond to dining room staff's complaint, that they were being short-changed by guests who did not give any tip. As some posters will be aware, this was particularly the case on long voyages, or segments there of. Tales of absent diners on the last night, "too much packing to do!"

The result? The Arcadia event, at the end of a World Voyage segment I recalled before and the introduction of the auto system that increased base rates AND provided an element of incentive payments based upon guests questionnaire responses.

49 cruises 17 ships 3 liners

How do you calculate the amount that the auto system would give?

The main reason for introducing the auto system was to respond to dining room staff's complaint, that they were being short-changed by guests who did not give any tip. As some posters will be aware, this was particularly the case on long voyages, or segments there of. Tales of absent diners on the last night, "too much packing to do!"

The result? The Arcadia event, at the end of a World Voyage segment I recalled before and the introduction of the auto system that increased base rates AND provided an element of incentive payments based upon guests questionnaire responses.

49 cruises 17 ships 3 liners

Great point.

I remember seeing lots of missing diners on the last night and being told people cut pieces of paper up and put them in the envelopes.

Bottom line for me is the crew work exceptionally hard to make our cruise brilliant so therefore i believe they deserve every penny they get for pay regardless of its origin.