What's going on with P&O UK with TIPPING

Calpespain

On an upcoming cruise my auto tips work out at 5.8% of the total cost of the cruise. A taxi from my home to and from Southampton docks works out at 8.3% of the total cruise price..........but I'm not catching the bus!

I always leave tips on and always will as I treat it as part of the holiday cost same as I do taxis and my wife getting a new frock. I then forget about it all and have a damn good holiday without worrying about auto tips or the cost of the taxi home. Having said all that I make use of everything that's in with the cruise price and get my money's worth ;)

On an upcoming cruise my auto tips work out at 5.8% of the total cost of the cruise. A taxi from my home to and from Southampton docks works out at 8.3% of the total cruise price..........but I'm not catching the bus!

I always leave tips on and always will as I treat it as part of the holiday cost same as I do taxis and my wife getting a new frock. I then forget about it all and have a damn good holiday without worrying about auto tips or the cost of the taxi home. Having said all that I make use of everything that's in with the cruise price and get my money's worth ;)

Good points,it puts things into perspective.

We have cruised for many years starting with Airtours/Thomson in the 1990s. We have sailed with RCCL, Celebrity, Princess and P and O. Until last year we never removed auto tips and usually gave a little extra. However the reason we now give by envelope was the fact that P and O say they withhold a part of the money if staff do not get 100% excellent review. We have never had bad service and wish all the money we give in tips to go to the people who are supposed to get it. The money we give is always at least what the auto tips would be or maybe more. I just wish the whole thing was stopped and tips, service charge, gratuities, call it what you will, were included in the fare and people could give extra if they wished.

We have cruised for many years starting with Airtours/Thomson in the 1990s. We have sailed with RCCL, Celebrity, Princess and P and O. Until last year we never removed auto tips and usually gave a little extra. However the reason we now give by envelope was the fact that P and O say they withhold a part of the money if staff do not get 100% excellent review. We have never had bad service and wish all the money we give in tips to go to the people who are supposed to get it. The money we give is always at least what the auto tips would be or maybe more. I just wish the whole thing was stopped and tips, service charge, gratuities, call it what you will, were included in the fare and people could give extra if they wished.

This would make sense but what i suspect is the cruiselines would make more money by a compulsory service charge or increased cruise price,crew would get a minimal pay rise and we would be back with the guilt infused envelopes for tips again.

Doesnt solve anything because if you have removed auto tips and give your cabin steward/waiters envelopes they still have to hand the money over to P&O and it is still then subject to whether they get good marks on the questionnaires and how much of that money you give they get. My main argument has always been for those that dont get 100% of the tips given do other staff get extra or is it kept by P&O. Nobody has an answer to this and P&O after repeated requests have failed to answer and dodge the issue giving you corporate waffle.

Doesnt solve anything because if you have removed auto tips and give your cabin steward/waiters envelopes they still have to hand the money over to P&O and it is still then subject to whether they get good marks on the questionnaires and how much of that money you give they get. My main argument has always been for those that dont get 100% of the tips given do other staff get extra or is it kept by P&O. Nobody has an answer to this and P&O after repeated requests have failed to answer and dodge the issue giving you corporate waffle.

As an aside...how would the Cruise Lines be able to police if the crew handed over cash tips ? I can't see how they could.

My opinion is if people fudge an answer they are lying just like if they don't look at you when you are talking to them.

I always give top marks but agree with you that what happens to our money is a mystery.

As far as I know they don’t have to hand money in. I know they do on Princess and face dismissal if caught keeping any.

As an aside...how would the Cruise Lines be able to police if the crew handed over cash tips ? I can't see how they could.

By making it clear to staff that if cash tips are not handed in they will dismissed.

How do the staff know if the cruise line knows if they know they have been given a cash tip; they don't, but is that worth risking their job.

All the cruise line has do is spread fear that they do know, e.g. post cruise survey, etc. It doesn't matter if realistic, if your job is on the line would you risk it?

See my post #31 which contradicts your assertion that cash tips have to be handed over. This e mail from P& O does not state that all the auto tips are given to staff but I am fairly certain that if you go onto their website FAQs it does make this clear.

I would prefer that tips were in the price and fair wages paid to all staff, but I don't see that continually carping on here about it's fairness is worthwhile. Either vote with your feet or take up the issue with P&O, and persevere until you get a satisfactory answer. Meanwhile I will pay the auto tips and reward very special service with a bit extra until they do.

And on my upcoming cruise they work out as 15%

At that sort of level it is understandable that some customers may see the automatic gratuities at a level that exceeds what might be expected as a 'tip'.

Just booked a suite on Oceana so my tips will go up.

By making it clear to staff that if cash tips are not handed in they will dismissed.

How do the staff know if the cruise line knows if they know they have been given a cash tip; they don't, but is that worth risking their job.

All the cruise line has do is spread fear that they do know, e.g. post cruise survey, etc. It doesn't matter if realistic, if your job is on the line would you risk it?

They send them home and end their contract and never employ them again if they are caught even discussing tips with passengers. They have made examples of some crew members and the fear factor is enough to drive compliance with the majority.

I’ve input enough into previous threads on this topic to start wasting more time on it, so I won’t say more!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They send them home and end their contract and never employ them again if they are caught even discussing tips with passengers. They have made examples of some crew members and the fear factor is enough to drive compliance with the majority.

I’ve input enough into previous threads on this topic to start wasting more time on it, so I won’t say more!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you.

I

And yet all these passengers declare they would be happy to have the auto grats included in the headline cruise fare, which would deny most the opportunity to feel smug/superior as they hand over their envelopes. And of course they would still be subsidising the wage bill.

I’ve sailed a few times with Saga where tips are in the fare price. Doesn’t stop most giving a good tip at the end of cruise though. Don’t forget the phycology - once the fare has been paid we we forget that part was to pay tips and probably give more in the fabled envelopes than we would otherwise.

David.

And on my upcoming cruise they work out as 15%

At that sort of level it is understandable that some customers may see the automatic gratuities at a level that exceeds what might be expected as a 'tip'.

With my basic maths, that equates to you paying around £40 per night for your cruise. How have you managed that?

With my basic maths, that equates to you paying around £40 per night for your cruise. How have you managed that?

Replacement Oriana cruise to Canary Islands after its unscheduled dry dock, 12 nights for £500 less 5% discount, so yes under £40 a night (plus about £140 OBC each, so actually about £30 a night).

Edited by insanemagnet

One thing that annoys me is that most of us know that the staff need a very good report on the survey (and indeed I have been on one P&O cruise where the captain urged us to mark the staff excellent and stated that excellent does not mean perfect)

I feel this is unsatisfactory - I am always very appreciative of the staff but it seems like moral blackmail to feel obliged to give top marks. It denies you the opportunity to give meaningful feedback to help them improve, and allows them to interpret survey results to their own agenda,

I also agree. Unfortunately we seem to be in the minority. Most people seem to find some reason to justify the removal of the auto tips. I'm afraid I think there is no justification. I'm totally fed up with the all the arguments about 'where the tips go', 'we are subsidising the wages P&O should be paying' , 'I prefer to tip people by envelope' or 'I like to tip only those who give good service'. The gratuities are part of cruising just leave the auto tips on and stop finding excuses to remove them.:rolleyes:

In your opinion

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As far as I know they don’t have to hand money in. I know they do on Princess and face dismissal if caught keeping any.

They are only allowed to keep it if you have left auto tips in place if you have removed this then they have to hand in any cash tips given to them.

They are only allowed to keep it if you have left auto tips in place if you have removed this then they have to hand in any cash tips given to them.

I can see the cruise line thinking on this process, even if I were not to agree with the ethics. If you have removed auto-tips and give cash instead the "tip pool" has been depleted and if your recipient pocketed the cash then it might be perceived; rightly or wrongly that he/she has taken money from the staff group. If you keep the auto-tips on and give additional cash in the form of tips no money is removed from the tips pool and any cash is extra for the recipient without others losing out through the way the system has been organised by the cruise line.

Regards John